Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Garry Nelson Pre-Match Q&A Saturday 9th Feb ***CAST at the Swan***

Following on from our successful Q&A with Accrington owner Andy Holt, former Charlton striker Garry Nelson will join us upstairs at the White Swan, 22 The Village, Charlton SE7 8UD ahead of the match v Southend United on Saturday 9th February.

Garry made over 750 professional appearances across the 1980s and 90s, starting his career at Southend and playing a key role in the Charlton team which returned to The Valley. He skippered the team for a few matches in 1994/5 and joined last year’s CACT cycle to Amsterdam fundraising for prostate cancer. He’ll share his memories of his playing career and many other stories and anecdotes, taking questions from the floor.

The event and the upstairs bar will be open to CAST members, guests and Charlton fans. Space is limited, so it will be first come, first served. The upstairs room will be open from 12.30 with the Q&A at 1pm for around an hour. Non-members can sign up on the day or join online here – just £5 for a year’s membership.

Advance notice too that on Saturday 16th February ahead of the Blackpool match, CAST at The Swan will feature music from The Live Wire.

Comments

• Good chance to get your books signed! They’re both excellent, particularly his first one.
  • Anyone planning on turning up?
  • Damn, would have liked to come and see Garry, but I’m away in Belgium (of all places) this weekend. Hope it goes well. I also agree with @JamesSeed’s comment on both his books - well worth a read.
  • edited February 2019
    I wish I could, but bringing youngest son to the game, meaning I wouldn’t be able to get there in time.
  • Can't make this Saturday but will be there for The Live Wire ahead of the Blackpool match
  • Top man,met Gary on a golf break in France some years ago,shared some lovely memories of his life in football,well worth going for those who can make it.
  • CAST now seems to be doing what it said it wouldn't when it set up ie replicate what the regional groups did holding Q & As with players etc.

It's up to them and I can see how it helps to maintain membership and interest but it's, IMHO, a shame.

Garry is an excellent guest though
  • It would be interesting to know why you think it's a shame.
  • Pico said:

It would be interesting to know why you think it's a shame.

Shame that CAST have done something they said they wouldn't do
  • Actually CAS TRUST began with a player Q&A including Garry and other Charlton legends.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2019
    I’m sure there’s plenty of room for more of these meet the players/managers etc events.
    You wait til you see who the first guest is for the inaugural BBBC Addicks is ;-)

[Edit: I haven't asked him yet, but I'm hoping it'll be @Taxi_Lad !]
  • razil said:

Actually CAS TRUST began with a player Q&A including Garry and other Charlton legends.

Yes, and Bromley Addicks postponed their own meeting the same night (5 December) to give CAST a clear run but you said at the time that CAST wouldn't be holding Q & As so as not replicate or compete with the regional groups.

And having postponed Bromley Addicks' back to the Valley meeting to give CAST a free run for their launch within months you personally were claiming that only CAST had marked back to the Valley that year.
  • Pico said:

Well, one of the joys of the Trust is that it is open to all fans to become members and stand for the board. So today's board includes 7 people not involved six years ago who have come in with new ideas and are not bound by the approach of six years ago.

But you know that.

I'd be interested to know whether you think organising events is a shame and if so. why?

• Pico said:

Pico said:

Well, one of the joys of the Trust is that it is open to all fans to become members and stand for the board. So today's board includes 7 people not involved six years ago who have come in with new ideas and are not bound by the approach of six years ago.

But you know that.

I'd be interested to know whether you think organising events is a shame and if so. why?

I've already explained why I think it is a shame so not sure why you are asking again.

As you now admit, CAST has now changed its stance. That was my point. You said one thing and are now doing something else. That is a shame

You say you are not "bound" by the approach of six years ago and use the turnover of board members as an excuse for that but the person who made that commitment is a current board member.

I wonder how many of those old or new board members knew of that commitment or took it into account when adopting this "new" approach?
  • edited February 2019
    another advantage to CAST organising match day talks is that some us live a long way from the Valley are unable to attend weekday evening venues like Bromley but can attend matchday afternoon near the Valley.

Come on Henry stop being an old curmudgeon, there is room for CAST and Bromley.

I hope to attend at the mucky duck as long as there is room , unlike pre Sunderland match.
  • another advantage to CAST organising match day talks is that some us live a long way from the Valley are unable to attend weekday evening venues like Bromley but can attend matchday afternoon near the Valley.

Come on Henry stop being an old curmudgeon, there is room for CAST and Bromley.

I hope to attend at the mucky duck as long as there is room , unlike pre Sunderland match.

No need for the insults.

Of course there is room for CAST and Bromley Addicks and I never said otherwise.

I repeat it is a shame that CAST have gone back on the commitment they gave without, it would seem, even considering the implications of what they have done or that they have done it.
  • rananegra said:

Not sure what the problem here is - there isn't a Charlton Supporters group covering Charlton, or indeed any neighbouring area apart from Bromley. There are no toes being stepped on as far as I can see.

Did I say there was?

I said it was shame a commitment was made and now has been gone back on.
    Curb_It said:

I'm at a loss too to understand what the problem is here also Henry. This is the sort of argument you start which I find really disappointing and stirs up bad feeling over nothing from what i can see.

No need to make this personal.

I've explained my reasons. It is a shame that CAST give a commitment and have now gone back on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAST now seems to be doing what it said it wouldn't when it set up ie replicate what the regional groups did holding Q & As with players etc.

It's up to them and I can see how it helps to maintain membership and interest but it's, IMHO, a shame.

Garry is an excellent guest though

Not sure what's inaccurate about this. @Henry Irving made it fairly clear by adding IMHO and added two positives about the event.

• Well, if I understand it right you have no problem with CAST hosting events per se but your reason for describing it as a shame seems to be that the group of people now running CAST are taking a different approach to those running it six years ago. You seem to be keen to promote this as duplicitous.

If you are OK about CAST running events what is the big deal about this? Are democratic organisations not permitted to evolve and develop?

• Pico said:

Well, if I understand it right you have no problem with CAST hosting events per se but your reason for describing it as a shame seems to be that the group of people now running CAST are taking a different approach to those running it six years ago. You seem to be keen to promote this as duplicitous.

If you are OK about CAST running events what is the big deal about this? Are democratic organisations not permitted to evolve and develop?

CAST made a commitment and have now gone back on that commitment.

That some of the people running CAST have changed doesn't alter that commitment and in any case many of the same people are involved now.

You have used the word "duplicitous", not me.
  • Victim of your own success Henry. Your events have a habit of selling out!
  • Pico said:

Are democratic organisations not permitted to evolve and develop?

#PeoplesVote
  • Leuth said:

So about that rival museum I was thinking of starting

Did you make a commitment not to start a museum and then go back on that commitment? If not then it's a moot point.
  • Leuth said:

So about that rival museum I was thinking of starting

Did you make a commitment not to start a museum and then go back on that commitment? If not then it's a moot point.
    Is this event going to affect your BA numbers if not then yours is a moot point and I would say it wont affect your numbers
    But I never claimed it would affect our numbers, please don't words in my mouth.

I will say again, CAST made a commitment and it is a shame that they have gone back on it.