Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer: On transfer deadline day

edited February 2019 in General Charlton
Interesting remarks by Bowyer on what happened last Thursday.

Charlton Athletic boss reveals how close they were to signing Bolton ace Erhun Oztumer – and discusses bid to land Bristol City striker Mo Eisa
Lee Bowyer has revealed that Erhun Oztumer was ready to sign for Charlton Athletic on transfer deadline day – only for the move to collapse when Bolton Wanderers could not land a replacement.

The Addicks chief also confirmed that Bristol City’s Mo Eisa was a prime target. But again the Championship club were unable to make a signing of their own to free up the striker for a loan move.
This is the hand we’ve been dealt and we’ve got to get on with it. There is no point crying over split milk – it is what it is, we can’t change it now.

“But we’ll also look at people who are out of contract as well and see if anyone has come available since the window closed. But I don’t think there is much out there, if I’m honest. There is no point bringing a body, in just for the sake of it.
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-reveals-how-close-they-were-to-signing-bolton-ace-erhun-oztumer-and-discusses-bid-to-land-bristol-city-striker-mo-eisa/

Comments

• I like that Bowyer, quite a small player himself, is unafraid of signing small players. Bring back Jack Munns!
  • Was Munns the one who made Solly look like Giant Haystacks?
  • If still in L1 I wonder if we go back for either in the summer.
  • If still in L1 I wonder if we go back for either in the summer.

Yeah maybe Mo could play in goal once Phillips walks out and Maxwell goes back to Preston, Erhun at centreback when Bauer waves goodbye for Blackburn.
  • I wonder how Oztumer was going to sign if we were also after Eisa?

Was Erhun supposed to join on a permanent, didnt so thats why Parker was brought in

Or was that for Eisa and we were only ever going to sign one of those two albeit on a loan deal?
  • N01R4M said:

So...

Bristol City & Bolton do not let their striker go until they have signed a replacement.

Charlton Athletic sells half of its effective striking force, keeping its fingers crossed a replacement will be available.

Hmmmm...

Precisely.
  • N01R4M said:

So...

Bristol City & Bolton do not let their striker go until they have signed a replacement.

Charlton Athletic sells half of its effective striking force, keeping its fingers crossed a replacement will be available.

Hmmmm...

It is normal for the higher placed club to dictate things. Do you really expect a league 1 club that is after money to say to a premier league club, please hang on a bit we need to get someone else in? Not going to happen.

As I said on the rumour thread, the real issue is that Bows was not given any money.
  • If we’d have signed half of the players that we “almost got over the line” in the past few transfer windows we would be in the Premier League by now!
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

If we’d have signed half of the players that we “almost got over the line” in the past few transfer windows we would be in the Premier League by now!

There's probably about the same amount of those players as there were managers not interviewed when Luzon got the job.
  • Leuth said:

I like that Bowyer, quite a small player himself, is unafraid of signing small players. Bring back Jack Munns!

Jack Munns always looked up to Chris Solly.
    Well as Jack is 5ft 5in and let's keep this info to ourselves, Chris is 5ft 8in.

Erhun Oztumer not only looks up to Chris but also looks up to Jack, as he is the smallest player in the EFL at 5ft 3in.

Last year Erhun failed the height test at Alton Towers.
  • N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

Makes you wonder if Ajose was being disruptive. Why else would we be so happy to ship out a senior body without having adequate replacements lined up.
  • clive said:

Interesting remarks by Bowyer on what happened last Thursday.

Charlton Athletic boss reveals how close they were to signing Bolton ace Erhun Oztumer – and discusses bid to land Bristol City striker Mo Eisa
    Lee Bowyer has revealed that Erhun Oztumer was ready to sign for Charlton Athletic on transfer deadline day – only for the move to collapse when Bolton Wanderers could not land a replacement.

The Addicks chief also confirmed that Bristol City’s Mo Eisa was a prime target. But again the Championship club were unable to make a signing of their own to free up the striker for a loan move.
    This is the hand we’ve been dealt and we’ve got to get on with it. There is no point crying over split milk – it is what it is, we can’t change it now.

“But we’ll also look at people who are out of contract as well and see if anyone has come available since the window closed. But I don’t think there is much out there, if I’m honest. There is no point bringing a body, in just for the sake of it.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-reveals-how-close-they-were-to-signing-bolton-ace-erhun-oztumer-and-discusses-bid-to-land-bristol-city-striker-mo-eisa/

Clubs waiting to get replacements in before selling players? Crazy idea.
  • Croydon said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

Makes you wonder if Ajose was being disruptive. Why else would we be so happy to ship out a senior body without having adequate replacements lined up.
    Because Bowyer came to the same conclusion as most of the fans . . . .

He was shite!
  • Leuth said:

I like that Bowyer, quite a small player himself, is unafraid of signing small players. Bring back Jack Munns!

Jack Munnsy, Munnsy,
    He's smaller than Chris Solly,
    He's better than Stevie G,
    Jack Munnsy!
  • Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

It is normal for the higher placed club to dictate things. Do you really expect a league 1 club that is after money to say to a premier league club, please hang on a bit we need to get someone else in? Not going to happen.

As I said on the rumour thread, the real issue is that Bows was not given any money.
    So in this scenario we could have said the same to Mansfield and Bradford.

2 strikers gone, better than Parker, who knows, time will tell.
  • I wonder how Oztumer was going to sign if we were also after Eisa?

Was Erhun supposed to join on a permanent, didnt so thats why Parker was brought in

Or was that for Eisa and we were only ever going to sign one of those two albeit on a loan deal?

I thought Parker was third choice after the other two.

Can you imagine if we had signed Oztumer, and we were defending a corner with him, Solly, Reeves, Williams, Cullen, all on the pitch at the same time ! I believe it was Rochdale who had 6 of their starting 11 over 6ft this season.
    ( I do recall Oztumer scoring a header for Wallsall at the covered end But we didn't pick him up after running through Sarr's legs ! )
  • Sponsored links:

• It's like an elaborate wind up supporting Charlton,

* Charlton messing around on the last day to replace a striker sold 3 days prior knowing likely a week before he was leaving.
    * Bolton trying to sign Ched Evans on loan - Fleetwood subsequently don't sign the paperwork to release him from them which means Charlton don't sign Oztumer and Evans stays at Fleetwood.
    * Ched Evans goes on to score the winner for Fleetwood against Charlton 2 days later.
    * Charlton fail to have more than one shot on target and carry no goal scoring threat.

Does this happen to over clubs?
  • Bubble said:

It's like an elaborate wind up supporting Charlton,

* Charlton messing around on the last day to replace a striker sold 3 days prior knowing likely a week before he was leaving.
    * Bolton trying to sign Ched Evans on loan - Fleetwood subsequently don't sign the paperwork to release him from them which means Charlton don't sign Oztumer and Evans stays at Fleetwood.
    * Ched Evans goes on to score the winner for Fleetwood against Charlton 2 days later.
    * Charlton fail to have more than one shot on target and carry no goal scoring threat.

Does this happen to over clubs?

Yes it does Bubble, BUT we are serial offenders !
  • Essex_Al said:

Croydon said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

Because Bowyer came to the same conclusion as most of the fans . . . .

He was shite!
    I'm not buying that view, it's far too simplistic. When he got a run of games earlier this season he scored a goal and assisted a hatful in a combo of the league and cup.

Ajose wasn't shite, far from it, but his attitude has been questioned before. I noticed after the AFCW game at home, he just walked down the tunnel at the final whistle, no celebrations with the team or the fans. I just wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes.
  • To be honest, can anyone be remotely surprised that Bolton weren't able to land a replacement? They have no money and they're on the brink again. Unless Roland was miraculously planning on chucking all the Grant money at them they were hardly going to be stumping up for a decent replacement at short notice.
  • I'm guessing we're always going to be 'short' of players , all the whilst Roland has got his finger on the pulse?
  • Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

But Fleetwood (league 1) dictated negotiations with Bolton (championship), hence why Evans didn’t leave and we didn’t get Oztumer.
  • N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

For 'Charlton Athletic sells' read 'Duchatelet sells'.

• N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

Bingo
  • Redrobo said:

N01R4M said:

So...

Hmmmm...

But Fleetwood (league 1) dictated negotiations with Bolton (championship), hence why Evans didn’t leave and we didn’t get Oztumer.
    yes, funny how a CONTRACTED player is "allowed" to leave with no replacement. In business a significant employee has at least a 3 month notice period, and more likely 6 months. The transfer window shut at 11pm on January 31st. It was hardly news to anyone.

I know I'm alone in this (when aren't I ?) but I would have just said to Grant "sorry son, until we get a player in to replace you the you're not leaving". Cant do that you say - he'll throw his toys out the pram - cant have an unhappy player around the place - yadda yadda yadda. F**k him. He's contracted to us. Let him throw a strop. See how the fans react to that. I might be cutting my nose off to spite my face, but hey.....maybe try a different way of thinking - it might just work.

I know this all falls down because RD is a twat & wanted the money, but he only wanted the money because there was an offer - and I bet Grant's agent had a hand in that, or did Huddersfield just wake up one day & say...." I know the way to keep us up - lets buy a player from League One"

btw. it happened with Scott Parker & at that time we had very good owners & plenty of money........so this isn't a one off !!!!
  • Mo Eisa is the new Steve Portway.