Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ongoing opposition to horse racing and the success we realise

I am starting a new thread on this topic, as the one I commenced last year concerned a petition to Parliament and was titled as such.
That petition, which called out the current horseracing governing body as not fit - and sought the establishment of an independent alternative - was signed by more than 100,000 people. The issue was debated in Parliament. The Tory government, unwilling to change much, backed the incumbent.

The facts, as highlighted in Animals Aid's Horsedeathwatch website, speak for themselves. Since records were kept, there have been 1,854 horse deaths, on British racecourses, in 4,347 days. The status quo has been rocked by ceaseless opposition to these multiple deaths, which occur year after year.

horsedeathwatch.com/

Now, at long last, Cheltenham Racecourse is making changes. Better it would be had this been enacted long before now. Horseracing, much like any other conservative entity, will not change unless it is opposed.

From the Guardian report:
Course officials at Cheltenham are taking the highly unusual step of moving a fence at the hallowed racetrack, to reduce risks for horses and jockeys at the high-profile Festival meeting next month.
One of the trickiest steeplechase fences at the home of jump racing will be moved, one of only two fences to be shifted in the past 20 years.

There are several pro-racing threads on this forum. I choose not to post on them, preferring to let them be. In giving an alternative view, I have received abuse which is boorish and predictable.

Involved in campaigning for change for many years, I find the slow pace frustrating, but remain committed to driving that opposition.
It will please me greatly if, in March, when the Cheltenham Festival takes place, I have no deaths to chronicle.

For the animals.

Comments

• AnnaKissed
    I realise you have strong opinions on this subject but you must be aware that a petition of 100000 is only about 0.15 % of the population.
  • Parliament, government and Tory in the opening post of a thread ?

Seems a thread for the politics section to me.
  • I am starting a new thread on this topic, as the one I commenced last year concerned a petition to Parliament and was titled as such.
    That petition, which called out the current horseracing governing body as not fit - and sought the establishment of an independent alternative - was signed by more than 100,000 people. The issue was debated in Parliament. The Tory government, unwilling to change much, backed the incumbent.

The facts, as highlighted in Animals Aid's Horsedeathwatch website, speak for themselves. Since records were kept, there have been 1,854 horse deaths, on British racecourses, in 4,347 days. The status quo has been rocked by ceaseless opposition to these multiple deaths, which occur year after year.

horsedeathwatch.com/

Now, at long last, Cheltenham Racecourse is making changes. Better it would be had this been enacted long before now. Horseracing, much like any other conservative entity, will not change unless it is opposed.

From the Guardian report:
    Course officials at Cheltenham are taking the highly unusual step of moving a fence at the hallowed racetrack, to reduce risks for horses and jockeys at the high-profile Festival meeting next month.
    One of the trickiest steeplechase fences at the home of jump racing will be moved, one of only two fences to be shifted in the past 20 years.

There are several pro-racing threads on this forum. I choose not to post on them, preferring to let them be. In giving an alternative view, I have received abuse which is boorish and predictable.

Involved in campaigning for change for many years, I find the slow pace frustrating, but remain committed to driving that opposition.
    It will please me greatly if, in March, when the Cheltenham Festival takes place, I have no deaths to chronicle.

For the animals.

Well done, it’s only the ignorant who sneer.
  • This thread has come around a bit early this year hasn't it?
  • Horse racing should be banned.
    I used to be a fisherman........but that is for a future thread.
    Dinosaurs eventually became extinct.
  • Sponsored links:

• I assume your user name Anna Kissed is a take on Anarchist. A that that as well as horse racing racing, and blood sports you object to the Tory party, Banks the police, military, white English people etc. I don't look to bring my politics onto this forum, why are you ?

Are you some kind of missionary ?

I like the random collection of words in the middle of this post.
  • Ah. Hide it away where most people won't see it. And, meanwhile, business as usual for The Sport of Kings thread, the Betting thread, etc. That's the way, isn't it?

Anyway... the petition was but one part of the arsenal. Some sneered at it, predicting that it would fail to reach 50,000.
    The debate in the Commons raised issues that would not have been aired had the petition not occurred. The authorities were rattled by it and the publicity that resulted.
    The BHA's review and the Jockey Club's re-siting of the fence could have happened in years past, had the will been there to do so. There were, after all, multiple deaths before 2018. Now, at last, we see some degree of change.
    It has not been easy. For example, I wrote to the racecourse and was ignored. So I wrote again. And again, no response.
    Numerous others contacted them, too. We don't give up.

This is a public forum. Issues of concern can be raised and debated in the public domain.

Not a question of hiding it away. As for the Sport of Kings thread - the clue is in the name. SPORT.
    I personally wouldn’t call pushing an animal to its limits, Sport, I’d call it abuse and sport for who, I doubt the horse would call it sport?

Another example of Mans assumption that because he can dominate another species he should do so and then stick Sport in the title and that makes it ok!

Why don’t we have Piggy 🐷 Back racing and the Jockey 🏇 can whip the man instead!
  • White English People ??? No paddies like horse racing then or does that not fit into your racism
  • I never see a thread about the process of halal meat on here. You know, the slaughter of live animals.

Not much point in slaughtering a dead animal!

Quick look on Google suggests that 88% of animals killed by halal method are stunned first. That needs to be 100%. Seems that Jewish "shechita" slaughtering doesn't involve any stunning. I'd be interested in any research that shows comparative animal suffering for all types of animal slaughter carried out in the UK. The suffering doesn't begin and end with the death.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

I completely disagree with AK as many of you will know, but he has every right to raise his concerns.

When it comes to the petition in question, I signed in complete error. The sponsor of the petition, as well as its wording, essentially meant that the end goal of stopping horse deaths would be to stop the sport entirely. This was disingenuous and - in my opinion - sneaky.

I want to see the sport as safe as possible and minimal deaths of racehorses. However - and this is going to sound callous to many of you - I am prepared to accept that they are on occasion the price I pay for my enjoyment of NH racing (in particular).

I have blood on my hands; people like Peanuts and bobmunro do as well - and I am sure they would admit it, too.

I noticed that at the time, and said so on here. Nothing wrong with having a petition calling for the end of horse racing, but at least they should be honest about their intentions.
  • PaddyP17 said:

I completely disagree with AK as many of you will know, but he has every right to raise his concerns.

When it comes to the petition in question, I signed in complete error. The sponsor of the petition, as well as its wording, essentially meant that the end goal of stopping horse deaths would be to stop the sport entirely. This was disingenuous and - in my opinion - sneaky.

I want to see the sport as safe as possible and minimal deaths of racehorses. However - and this is going to sound callous to many of you - I am prepared to accept that they are on occasion the price I pay for my enjoyment of NH racing (in particular).

I have blood on my hands; people like Peanuts and bobmunro do as well - and I am sure they would admit it, too.

As did I.
  • Surely pet owning should be banned too,just another form of man controlling animals by comments made by some on here,Where is the freedom for the animals then locked up indoors or a cage and feed when the owner wants to feed them and has its moment of freedom again when the owner decide to take or let them out.
  • Surely pet owning should be banned too,just another form of man controlling animals by comments made by some on here,Where is the freedom for the animals then locked up indoors or a cage and feed when the owner wants to feed them and has its moment of freedom again when the owner decide to take or let them out.

Try explaining that to my cat!

• White English People ??? No paddies like horse racing then or does that not fit into your racism

Please explain, how in the context I used that term, it is racist ?
  • ANOTHER BORING FACT. Mentioned in original post only two fences moved in twenty years.......the fence now in question has been moved three times in past nine years