Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

STATBANK: Fleetwood 1-0 Charlton

thanks to the 21 Lifers who gave marks:
The attendance figures aren't in the match report, if anyone has access to them please let me know

Comments

• Bielik MOTM is ludicrous IMO - he lost the ball so many times and put Fleetwood through on goal for Phillips' heroics to bail us out. Yeah he's a great player but I thought he had an actively bad game
  • edited February 2019
    Purrington seems undermarked to me. Yes he made a hash of a cross late on, but was the most solid of the defenders. Not sure how Lapslie ended up the 4th best player either, when he was completely anonymous.
  • Lapslie made one of theirs miss an open goal by trying to get his head injured again, which adds a whole point onto his mark
  • edited February 2019
    I had two neutrals with me who both thought Bielik was our best player, neither of them goalkeepers mind when they played because as you may know Leuth, Ruud Gullit once said 'A goalkeeper is a goalkeeper because he can't play football'.

Purrington, when he is on the ball, needs to offer more going forward, when we keep knocking it sideways and backwards. Opinions of a former full back Eh? :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

I had two neutrals with me who both thought Bielik was our best player, neither of them goalkeepers mind when they played because as you may know Leuth, Ruud Gullit once said 'A goalkeeper is a goalkeeper because he can't play football'.

Purrington, when he is on the ball, he needs to offer more going forward, when we keep knocking it sideways and backwards. Opinions of a former full back Eh? :wink:

He probably IS our best player, and showed enough class on the pitch to confirm this - what I'm saying is that he had a lousy game, and got bailed out by his heroic goalkeeper ;)
  • edited February 2019
    I know what your saying because you blokes always used to dig those out immediately in front of you if you had to get your gloves dirty. Bielik wasn't the only one making the odd mistake, he was like a Rolls Royce except running on 3 star :wink:
  • Feel sorry for Reeco, thrown in at the deep end, and left to fend for himself.
  • JamesSeed said:

Feel sorry for Reeco, thrown in at the deep end, and left to fend for himself.

Yes agree, but think Bowyer had little option although he shouldn't have been up top on his own.. Seem to remember similar scenarios with Karlan and Joe Piggot (who I think was bloodied against Millwall and looked nervous as hell!).
  • edited February 2019
    The thing is there is no room for sentiment in football it's a tough environment and every man for himself. When you get your chance you have to grab it with both hands. Reeco is now 21 the same age as Grant so he is not a little boy lost. However it is a big jump progressing from youth to men's football. Bowyer put his trust in him and would have worked on his role during the last week. His cameo against Peterborough gave not only the fans but the management the confidence to play him from the start especially as the rest of the squad know his game.

Whilst he wasn't too bad first half, whatever was asked of him didn't satisfy his boss. Shortly after getting an ear bashing for not holding the ball up and failing to connect with a Parker cross come shot, Bowyer had seen enough and gave him the hook on circa 75 minutes. There's an old saying 'if you are good enough you are old enough' unfortunately he wasn't the former on Saturday. He won't forget his first league start that's for sure but hopefully this will give him even more hunger and desire to succeed at this level and higher.
  • It’s one thing coming on as a second striker gainst a tiring Peterborough side, quite another playing up top as a lone striker against a couple of giant centre backs. Learning curve I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• The upcoming games and the form table is very interesting. We have 3 very winnable games as our next 3 and then 2 against key competitors, both of who are out of form. Very key 5 games.