Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Statbank: Peterborough 0-0 Charlton

many thanks to the 44 Lifers who gave marks:

Comments

• Maybe Jason Pearce can come back in as striker?
  • edited January 2019
    Sarr's season average is 3rd (EDIT: fourth) behind Taylor (EDIT: Bielik) and Williams (who's played 3 games) btw
  • edited January 2019
    This thread is brilliantly for me, as I cannot see the team very often, it is good to see how individual players are doing, I know everybody has their own opinion, but with all the scores together, it should average out.

Leuth said:

Sarr's season average is 3rd behind Taylor and Williams (who's played 3 games) btw

Pleased with this, good to see Naby doing well and hope he keeps his place when Pearce is fit
  • Leuth said:

Sarr's season average is 3rd behind Taylor and Williams (who's played 3 games) btw

I think he is 4th - Bielik is slightly higher. I think we are a better team with Sarr in it. A centre half is going to get injured at some point and Pearce will get his chance, but that should only be through injury or loss of form. I doubt he will have a problem with that, his chance will inevitably come.

• I see Ben Purrington finally got his 'steady' 7.

Lee Bowyer will be pleased.

• Leuth said:

Maybe Jason Pearce can come back in as striker?

He can play as a false 9
  • What we are seeing with Nabby is the same thing that has happened with Grant this season.

He is playing is his correct position, with a suitable partner, a left back at left back and a right back at right back. The only problem is Pearce is one of the very few natural leaders we have, which is important imo. Saying that I have my doubts about his ability to organise a back four, despite his experience and vocal output. To me Nabby is a better center half, and footballer, and has been for some time now.
  • Despite Naby's vast improvement and current good form, I wouldn't underestimate Pearce's value to the side.

Different abilities and attributes, of course ...... Pearce is a warrior, a leader of men and exactly the bloke you want in your side when things are not going to plan.

If Naby, with his superior ball skills and quick feet, could add Pearce's qualities and mental strength to his game, he would be unplayable. The complete centre back. And he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

There's no need to rush Pearce back in the side, but Bowyer has an interesting dilemma.
    All the while Nabster is playing out of his skin and the defence not conceding goals, I can't see him changing things in a hurry - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But we ain't seen the last of Jason Pearce.
  • Oggy Red said:

Despite Naby's vast improvement and current good form, I wouldn't underestimate Pearce's value to the side.

Different abilities and attributes, of course ...... Pearce is a warrior, a leader of men and exactly the bloke you want in your side when things are not going to plan.

If Naby, with his superior ball skills and quick feet, could add Pearce's qualities and mental strength to his game, he would be unplayable. The complete centre back. And he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

There's no need to rush Pearce back in the side, but Bowyer has an interesting dilemma.
    All the while Nabster is playing out of his skin and the defence not conceding goals, I can't see him changing things in a hurry - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But we ain't seen the last of Jason Pearce.

So as long as things are going to plan defensively, Pearce's undoubted qualities are not needed. Pearce isn't a problem, it is good to have him back to step in as it is quite likely he will be needed. When back he can cement his place in the team. That's how it works and Pearce would be fine with that I'm sure.
  • Anyone know how many of Grant's goals were assisted by Taylor?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Scoham said:

Anyone know how many of Grant's goals were assisted by Taylor?

TransferMarkt says he got assists against

Scunthorpe | Portsmouth (2)
    Barnsley | Doncaster | Sunderland | Shrewsbury (1)

So from memory Id say he assisted just the two goals for Karlan - One against Portsmouth and potentially one against Doncaster

Edit: Yeah Lyle got Karlan's assist for the second Doncaster goal
  • So the idea that "Grant had all his goals put on a plate by Taylor" is nonsense then.
  • Could be a third though; TransferMarkt and Lancs don't match up so can only presume Taylor got another assist somewhere (won us a penalty?)
  • remember my "assists" are a little more lenient than the official ones
  • Interesting that Grant's average score on here is only 6.59, which is well down the standings.
  • Scoham said:

So the idea that "Grant had all his goals put on a plate by Taylor" is nonsense then.

But possibly that may tell only part of the story?

Perhaps we should also acknowledge the part Taylor plays in most of Grant's goals ..... the hold up and lay off, the driving run and cross, the unpredictable twist and turn and pass - plus of course his movement off the ball dragging defenders away to create the space for Grant. Even making a 'back' for the keeper at corners.

And much more. None of that will be shown in the 'assists' statistics, of course.
    But most of Grant's goals have come from Taylor's input, one way or another.
  • Not sure if is the right place for this but, by either accident or design, the way we have set up this season has been perfect for Grant. The lack of width from the midfield has allowed him the space out wide, all center halves had being dragged out wide, especially league 1 lumps. Last season that space was used by Holmes and Fosu. It could be that Fosu has struggled this term as Taylor and Grant have been in his space?

Maybe Fosu is the answer.
  • edited January 2019
    Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

So the idea that "Grant had all his goals put on a plate by Taylor" is nonsense then.

But possibly that may tell only part of the story?

Perhaps we should also acknowledge the part Taylor plays in most of Grant's goals ..... the hold up and lay off, the driving run and cross, the unpredictable twist and turn and pass - plus of course his movement off the ball dragging defenders away to create the space for Grant. Even making a 'back' for the keeper at corners.

And much more. None of that will be shown in the 'assists' statistics, of course.
    But most of Grant's goals have come from Taylor's input, one way or another.
    Yeah of course, and it works both ways. They’ve both helped to get the best out of each other. We don’t have that very often up front

I just don’t agree with writing off Grant’s half the partnership like some have done. As brilliant as Taylor is he still needs good support from his teammates, as do all players.