Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best place to live in the UK........

As decided by Halifax BOS is........

Orkney.

Really ??? Wet & cold. Very wet & very cold I would imagine at this time of year. It might look pretty in a desolute type of way but not somewhere I would ever want to live.......ever.

Not much to do either. Not much in the way of infrastructure & I doubt you can pop out for the evening to your local cinema or bowling ally & then pick up a kebab on your way home.

Comments

• Sorry, I don't want to rain on their parade but the answer is actually Eltham.
  • As decided by Halifax BOS is........

Orkney.

Really ??? Wet & cold. Very wet & very cold I would imagine at this time of year. It might look pretty in a desolute type of way but not somewhere I would ever want to live.......ever.

Not much to do either. Not much in the way of infrastructure & I doubt you can pop out for the evening to your local cinema or bowling ally & then pick up a kebab on your way home.

And more importantly, nowhere to work.
    And for gawds sake don't need to get to a hospital quick.

Orkney.

Though 88% of 16 - 24 year olds in work compared to the national average of 74%.
  • Had a mate from there, he loved it. Probably better than the Isle of Lewis, which is Wicker Man territory

Orkney.

It may not suit you but some people like isolation, peace and quiet etc. Not saying it’s the best place to live, especially as I’ve never been there, and not knowing the criteria used to reach this conclusion, but it’s certainly better than a lot of places in the U.K.
  • Every piece of news I hear coming from mainland Britain is doom and gloom. I'd swap for a life on a small island.
  • McBobbin said:

Had a mate from there, he loved it. Probably better than the Isle of Lewis, which is Wicker Man territory

I prefer The Isle of Sheppy.
  • Heard it was Tunbridge Wells
  • Ferryman said:

Heard it was Tunbridge Wells

I've decided you probably need to live and remain in Tunbridge Wells to appreciate it

The place is a pain in my arse to go through and judging by the amount of people in front and behind me queuing to do the same journey I'm not alone

It does look pretty though
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Sorry, I don't want to rain on their parade but the answer is actually Eltham.

Agreed, they have just introduced a car sharing scheme in the High Street.
  • Oggy Red said:

Orkney.

These places are generally very strong on community .... everyone mucks in and helps each other out, organises social events and local culture, safe for kids and crime is virtually non-existant.

To many people, that is true quality of life.
    My mother run a hotel on the Isle of Bute for a while, she said no-one used to bother to lock their cars up. More often than not they just left the keys in the ignition, and often came down in the morning to find her car facing the opposite way than she left it.

• Deptford more classier than Mayfair right now.
  • Practically no crime up there. That’s appealing.
  • Oggy Red said:

Orkney.

These places are generally very strong on community .... everyone mucks in and helps each other out, organises social events and local culture, safe for kids and crime is virtually non-existant.

To many people, that is true quality of life.
    I suspect anyone who doesn't like living there simply leaves, so those that remain or move to it love it, thus it scores highly.
  • U

Orkney.

Though 88% of 16 - 24 year olds in work compared to the national average of 74%.
    But the population of 16-24s up there is small compared to down here.

If it was that great to live we wouldn’t be so shocked to hear it’s rated so highly.

Best place to live is the South East for obvious reasons.
  • Thought Fleet in Hampshire and the Hart district was supposed to be the best. About 15 miles from me and the area is nice.
  • U

Orkney.

But the population of 16-24s up there is small compared to down here.

If it was that great to live we wouldn’t be so shocked to hear it’s rated so highly.

Best place to live is the South East for obvious reasons.
    That's that settled then!