Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grant is no Penalty taker

All of Grants Penalties so far have been weak with the goalie stopping or nearly stopping them.

To me, he is no Penalty Taker.
Yet, the best Pen ive seen us take this season is Fosu at Luton - i think he was on the pitch today when the Pen was awarded?

Comments

• Were you not there last week?!

He's being sold anyway
  • edited January 2019
    No mate, Penalty awarded 77 minute, Fosu came on in the 82 minute.
  • Am sorry but have no faith in Fosu at the moment

Not making him a scapegoat today but apart from 30mins at Gillingham he's been shocking this season and can start to understand why Reading didnt put more of an effort to keep him when we signed him - Not sure if he completed a pass today and certainly didnt beat a man; honestly think we should be loaning him out and not Clarke
  • edited January 2019

He literally smashed one home 7 days ago

Smashed? What, like todays was 'smashed'?
    Have a look at the others.
  • Am sorry but have no faith in Fosu at the moment

Not making him a scapegoat today but apart from 30mins at Gillingham he's been shocking this season and can start to understand why Reading didnt put more of an effort to keep him when we signed him - Not sure if he completed a pass today and certainly didnt beat a man; honestly think we should be loaning him out and not Clarke

Difficult to get into the game so late on but gotta say Fosu wound me up in those last12 minutes (four minutes stoppage time) getting caught in possessiion.
  • Pointless now he is gone.
  • He literally smashed one home 7 days ago

Taylor's missed two penalties this season.

Taylor's missed two penalties this season.
    And one for Montserrat
  • Sponsored links:

• Hate all the negativity towards grant. ‘He can’t finish’ ‘He can’t take penalties’. Scored 14 in the league this season and is our top scorer as well as one of the top scorers in the whole of the league. Has taken 3 pens and scored 2, confidently put all of them away except today’s. He’s leaving, but be grateful for what he done for us this season. He won’t be easy to replace

Well said.

Compare and contrast with the attitude towards Taylor.
  • All of Grants Penalties so far have been weak with the goalie stopping or nearly stopping them.

Yet, the best Pen ive seen us take this season is Fosu at Luton - i think he was on the pitch today when the Pen was awarded?

Not to worry, he'll be taking no more pens for us this season or ever again
  • LenGlover said:

Hate all the negativity towards grant. ‘He can’t finish’ ‘He can’t take penalties’. Scored 14 in the league this season and is our top scorer as well as one of the top scorers in the whole of the league. Has taken 3 pens and scored 2, confidently put all of them away except today’s. He’s leaving, but be grateful for what he done for us this season. He won’t be easy to replace

Well said.

Compare and contrast with the attitude towards Taylor.
    Exactly. Taylor has missed penalties too, and also has less goals than grant in the league. I love them both and I think they’re easily the best strike partnership in league 1. People on here expect them both to be perfect. If they were they wouldn’t be playing in league 1, and Grant won’t be this time next week

_MrDick said:

All of Grants Penalties so far have been weak with the goalie stopping or nearly stopping them.

Is this just idle speculation or is everyone in the Know ?
  • edited January 2019

He literally smashed one home 7 days ago

No. Last weeks was was, today’s wasn’t. Pretty obvious.

He’s scored 3 out his 4 taken.
    And have a look at the other two - both powder puff side foots nearly got by the oppo keeper- like todays , except the keeper got it this time.

_MrDick said:

Is this just idle speculation or is everyone in the Know ?
    Look on Transfers Sam and see the SLP.
  • Sponsored links:

No. Last weeks was was, today’s wasn’t. Pretty obvious.

He’s scored 3 out his 4 taken.
    And have a look at the other two - both powder puff side foots nearly got by the oppo keeper- like todays , except the keeper got it this time.
    ‘Nearly’ being the key word. He had the accuracy to score. Some of the best players in the world are guilty of taking a shit penalty like Grant did today.
  • Anyone ever seen this shocker of a penalty? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CeLuXuHtq8
  • There shall be a lot of revisionism like this going on now he’s leaving. Whatever helps soften the blow I suppose.
  • The best pen taker we've had in recent history was Yoni Buyens.

That I’ll agree with. Top player.
  • There shall be a lot of revisionism like this going on now he’s leaving. Whatever helps soften the blow I suppose.

Exhibit A

• Hate all the negativity towards grant. ‘He can’t finish’ ‘He can’t take penalties’. Scored 14 in the league this season and is our top scorer as well as one of the top scorers in the whole of the league. Has taken 3 pens and scored 2, confidently put all of them away except today’s. He’s leaving, but be grateful for what he done for us this season. He won’t be easy to replace

Its the comment: "He only scores tap in's" that gets me ... Breakdown of his goals this season that I remember:

Shrewsbury; Got in front of the goalkeeper and headed in from a tight angle
    Accrington: Well placed Header
    Bradford: Put through by Cullen, cut back the defender and smashed it into the far corner of the net
    Plymouth: Yup two tap ins; they actually happened
    Barnsley: Put through on goal, had a lot to do to beat the 'keeper plus a fortunate header
    Doncaster: Well placed header
    Bristol Rovers: Empty net
    Burton: Penalty
    Walsall: Similar to the Barnsley goal without having to run at goal
    Shrewsbury: Penalty
    Accrington: Penalty

So out of his fourteen goals, he's had three put on a plate for him!!
    That comment does my head in too. Bloody rogue apostrophe! :wink:

Good work on the goal analysis for the season - I can barely remember what happened yesterday!

Its the comment: "He only scores tap in's" that gets me ... Breakdown of his goals this season that I remember:

Bradford: Put through by Cullen, cut back the defender and smashed it into the far corner of the net
    Barnsley: Put through on goal, had a lot to do to beat the 'keeper plus a fortunate header

Bristol Rovers Empty net having outpaced everyone from deep inside his own half.

That comment does my head in too. Bloody rogue apostrophe! :wink:

Good work on the goal analysis for the season - I can barely remember what happened yesterday!
    Have to admit I had to look up reports for the Plymouth and Doncaster goals so may even be wrong about those finishes

Certainly remember the rest though
  • Was there one year where we had a 100 per cent records on pens? ie we scored everyone we got and saved everyone given against - was that Buyens and Henderson?
  • Was there one year where we had a 100 per cent records on pens? ie we scored everyone we got and saved everyone given against - was that Buyens and Henderson?

Yup... Wasnt it the only time it has happened in our history?

I think its proof that there will always be penalties missed by Strikers and those that cant be saved by our Goalkeepers