Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peterborough v Charlton | Sat 26 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Peterborough United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 26th January 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: David Webb (Lancashire)

Introduction

Well it certainly feels as though its been an busy week around Sparrow Lane… Our last match against Accrington Stanley was certainly without incident yet for eighty minutes it looked as though it would be uneventful with both sides sharing the spoils, and then as we all know it got interesting… When sides want to win promotion they don’t always win pretty and last Saturday was evidence of that, this weekend it’s a complete reverse of that style of game – A trip to Peterborough awaits and the chance to virtually end Portsmouth’s gap at the top of the table!!

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United | Manager: Steve Evans
Ground: London Road

For Posh fans they must be wondering if the same old story from the same old script… The start of the season for our opponents would see a blistering start from Steve Evans and his men leaving many wondering if this would be their year to return to the Championship... It was pretty much a repeat of the following season; undefeated until the middle of September and fans were no doubt thinking of potential trips to Villa Park and Selhurst Park next season.

Yet then strangely as in both seasons, the wheels have slightly come off… With one less defeat than the Addicks (although they’ve played a game less); Peterborough’s problem is they’ve drawn too many games – November would see them win just the one game (a 1-0 home win against AFC Wimbledon), the fact they’ve won just the one home game since shows there is another opportunity to create another Fratton Park style win from last season, especially with such a big Charlton following travelling up the old London Road for this one.

Of course though Peterborough will remain dangerous… Gone are the days of them being an easy victory the Addicks and on Saturday we’ll go looking for our first win over the Posh in four years, and with just one draw in the last five meetings its important that we don’t let those towards the bottom of the Play-Offs to start closing any gaps themselves.

Charlton Team News
It wouldn’t be a fixture without another Charlton player missing for whatever reason and this week sees the absence of Lyle Taylor for the first of three fixtures – The Striker having been sent off against Accrington will be a big miss in the team, naturally Addicks fans have debating on his replacement yet today Lee Bowyer confirmed that Reeco Hackett-Fairchild will make a rare start, the youngster signed from Dulwich Hamlet has yet to score for the senior team yet having found the net on a regular basis for the Reserves will no doubt look to Karlan Grant as proof at how a player can turn around their fortunes.

Elsewhere and its pretty much business as usual – Krystian Bielik will no doubt be fine after getting a bit too close and personal with some fans last week, whilst you’d expect Ben Reeves to potentially come into the midfield after being instrumental in our last victory!!

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Cullen | Bielik | Reeves
Williams
Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Marshall | Fosu | Ocran | Pratley

Prediction
Ultimately believe that this is our hardest away game left this season… Victory will certainly setup a last few months and will without doubt make our rivals nervous of us – With FA Cup commitments its another game that Charlton will play on top of our rivals, a win will put pressure on them to win those games in hand, a draw shouldn’t be sniffed at against a team who have become a bit of a problem to us of late

Comments

• Good to read whoever is promoted will visit Selhurst Park next season :-)

Yeah couldnt resist the sly little hope ;)
  • Peterborough United v Charlton Athletic

Introduction

Well it certainly feels as though its been an busy week around Sparrow Lane… Our last match against Accrington Stanley was certainly without incident yet for eighty minutes it looked as though it would be uneventful with both sides sharing the spoils, and then as we all know it got interesting… When sides want to win promotion they don’t always win pretty and last Saturday was evidence of that, this weekend it’s a complete reverse of that style of game – A trip to Peterborough awaits and the chance to virtually end Portsmouth’s gap at the top of the table!!

The Opposition

For Posh fans they must be wondering if the same old story from the same old script… The start of the season for our opponents would see a blistering start from Steve Evans and his men leaving many wondering if this would be their year to return to the Championship... It was pretty much a repeat of the following season; undefeated until the middle of September and fans were no doubt thinking of potential trips to Villa Road and Selhurst Park next season.

Yet then strangely as in both seasons, the wheels have slightly come off… With one less defeat than the Addicks (although they’ve played a game less); Peterborough’s problem is they’ve drawn too many games – November would see them win just the one game (a 1-0 home win against AFC Wimbledon), the fact they’ve won just the one home game since shows there is another opportunity to create another Fratton Park style win from last season, especially with such a big Charlton following travelling up the old London Road for this one.

Of course though Peterborough will remain dangerous… Gone are the days of them being an easy victory the Addicks and on Saturday we’ll go looking for our first win over the Posh in four years, and with just one draw in the last five meetings its important that we don’t let those towards the bottom of the Play-Offs to start closing any gaps themselves.

Charlton Team News
    It wouldn’t be a fixture without another Charlton player missing for whatever reason and this week sees the absence of Lyle Taylor for the first of three fixtures – The Striker having been sent off against Accrington will be a big miss in the team, naturally Addicks fans have debating on his replacement yet today Lee Bowyer confirmed that Reeco Hackett-Fairchild will make a rare start, the youngster signed from Dulwich Hamlet has yet to score for the senior team yet having found the net on a regular basis for the Reserves will no doubt look to Karlan Grant as proof at how a player can turn around their fortunes.

Elsewhere and its pretty much business as usual – Krystian Bielik will no doubt be fine after getting a bit too close and personal with some fans last week, whilst you’d expect Ben Reeves to potentially come into the midfield after being instrumental in our last victory!!

Phillips
    Cullen | Bielik | Reeves
    Williams

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Marshall | Fosu | Ocran | Pratley

Prediction
    Ultimately believe that this is our hardest away game left this season… Victory will certainly setup a last few months and will without doubt make our rivals nervous of us – With FA Cup commitments its another game that Charlton will play on top of our rivals, a win will put pressure on them to win those games in hand, a draw shouldn’t be sniffed at against a team who have become a bit of a problem to us of late

Peterborough United v Charlton Athletic

Introduction

The Opposition

For Posh fans they must be wondering if the same old story from the same old script… The start of the season for our opponents would see a blistering start from Steve Evans and his men leaving many wondering if this would be their year to return to the Championship... It was pretty much a repeat of the following season; undefeated until the middle of September and fans were no doubt thinking of potential trips to Villa Road and Selhurst Park next season.

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Cullen | Bielik | Reeves
    Williams

Prediction
    Yet another Great preview.As muc as I like Reeves I think LB will start with Pratley.I would also,play Fosu up front.COYR
  • Great preview as always.
    Charlton send the faithful hords home with a 2.1 victory.

Oh
    And Steve Evans chokes while attempting to put five hotdogs in his mouth at the same time
  • The fans are behind Bowyer and the team. This will be another Pompey-like victory. 2-1 to Charlton.
    COYR.
  • Great preview as always.
    Charlton send the faithful hords home with a 2.1 victory.

Oh
    And Steve Evans chokes while attempting to put five hotdogs in his mouth at the same time

Five won't touch the side, a dozen might.
  • Looking to swap 1 East Stand ticket for a north stand ticket if anyone can help?
  • Cant see RHF starting, reckon we will go with 1 up top with Williams/ Fosu / Reeves behind.

1-1 i want to say we can win this one, but i feel the results have been far too positive lately so always likely for a slip up and it wouldn't be the worst away draw.

COYR

Grant with the goal, kisses the badge and shows his love for Charlton :)
  • Villa Road? Where's that?

Can't see us winning this - Bowyer has wound up their squad by saying that they weren't good enough after that non-penalty defeat back in September. Chance for us to get really close to the table top. They need the win to peg us back. Grant being talked up and his mind elsewhere, plus Taylor out and RHF in (a massive step down in class), I'm not sure we will hold the ball well enough to create much. They can press our midfield (as AS did last week) knowing it won't stick if we bypass them. Big following and often happens that we get let down. I hope I'm wrong on all counts and we smash them 6-0 but I just can't see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Posh fans seem quite negative and their main central defender Tafazolli lost his red card appeal.
  • Great preview as always, FA.

Tough game, hope for a narrow win but would take a draw.
  • Think we will win 3-1.

Like the idea of this "Williams/ Fosu / Reeves behind" in the absence of Taylor. Really potent front line.
  • 1 - 0 to us, Bauer from a corner.
  • edited January 2019
    Posh are still right on our tails albeit with an inferior goal difference. They will be fired right up for this so referee David Webb and his team will need to be on their toes.

I'd be pretty happy with a point from this but with a big and noisy away support, we could almost make it feel like a home game and get away with all three

I pretty much agree with @ForeverAddickted's line up, although Lapslie for Reeves to start might be an option in what will probably be a hectic start necessitating a lot of speedy defending, tackling and general getting stuck right in.
    Taylor missing for three will be a big loss but it is what it is .. as important as he is, we are not a one man team .. I am really going to enjoy this and look forward to us dragging the Posh (but how can Steve Evans, Barry Fwy and Darragh MacAnthony be termed Posh) through the dirt .. come on youse Addicks !!!!!

Peterborough United 1 v CAFC 2
  • I obviously want a win, but would be happy with a point.

I see a hard fought 1-1 draw.
  • My unnerving Charlton spider senses, honed on years of experience... tells me we will fuck up this one.

2-1 to Posh

A post match trip to Pizza Hut for Evans...
  • Can’t see points in this one. Think once / if we go behind we will really struggle to get back into it. 2 - 0 Posh
  • Sponsored links:

• Bets on Roland selling Grant before the weekend?

Give me a point now.
  • Despite what he said this morning I just can’t see him playing RHF over Fosu.

Phillips
    Solly, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington
    Bielik, Cullen
    Fosu, Williams, Reeves
    Grant

1-3 Fosu x2, Sarr

Phillips
    Bielik, Cullen
    Fosu, Williams, Reeves
    Grant

1-3 Fosu x2, Sarr

I think your line up is spot on btw. hopefully the result is too!

Fosu needs to step up and be the player he was last season
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.

Phillips
    Bielik, Cullen
    Fosu, Williams, Reeves
    Grant

1-3 Fosu x2, Sarr

Bring back Robbo..

Phillips
    Bielik, Cullen
    Fosu, Williams, Reeves
    Grant

1-3 Fosu x2, Sarr

Bring back Robbo..
    Johnny Robinson is far too old now mate 😁
  • My unnerving Charlton spider senses, honed on years of experience... tells me we will fuck up this one.

2-1 to Posh

A post match trip to Pizza Hut for Evans...

this i'm afraid
  • edited January 2019

Pedro45 said:

Villa Road? Where's that?

Can't see us winning this - Bowyer has wound up their squad by saying that they weren't good enough after that non-penalty defeat back in September. Chance for us to get really close to the table top. They need the win to peg us back. Grant being talked up and his mind elsewhere, plus Taylor out and RHF in (a massive step down in class), I'm not sure we will hold the ball well enough to create much. They can press our midfield (as AS did last week) knowing it won't stick if we bypass them. Big following and often happens that we get let down. I hope I'm wrong on all counts and we smash them 6-0 but I just can't see it.

And THERE is this week's preview error!!...

Congratulations you win... NOTHING!!
    Damn, I got that wrong, I thought it was the bit that said ‘ our last match against Accrington Stanley was certainly without incident’
  • 2-0 Posh sadly

Hope I am wrong, but just cant see us taking this one, it's the Charlton Way
  • Can't see us losing. 1-1 seems to be the likely result but a sneak win for us is also on the cards. Apologise for the use of "cards" and hope they do not feature in this one.