Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whitstable restaurants

Planning to go there with my sister for lunch when I am over in couple of weeks. We've always been to the Whitstable Oyster co. but I'm aware other restaurants are available. Any reccos? Oysters are a must....

Comments

• Wheelers. The best fish restaurant in Kent.
  • The farm hooper in the town was lovely in there
  • The Sportsman or Wheelers.

I always enjoy Hotel Continental too and the oysters are good.

Definitely not the Oyster Company.
  • edited January 2019
    Always enjoyed The Crab & Winkle in the harbour, you’ll not be disappointed ........but given the absolute choice The Sportsman at Sea Salter (about a ten minute drive west out of Whitstable following the coast road), is the dogs bollox.
    For a nice place to drink you can’t beat The Ship Centurian in the high street.
    Phone The Sportsman and ask if they have Oysters on the menu.....if they don’t, they might let you bring your own from one of the harbours fishmongers and charge you a preparation and service fee......worth a try I think. Or even book a day or two before and ask for two dozen oysters to be available for you.
  • Always enjoyed The Crab & Winkle in the harbour, you’ll not be disappointed ........but given the absolute choice The Sportsman at Sea Salter (about a ten minute drive west out of Whitstable following the coast road), is the dogs bollox.
    For a nice place to drink you can’t beat The Ship Centurian in the high street.

The Sportsman is hands down the best restaraunt in the area, you need to keep faith you are going the right way to find it! To eat on a weekend is usually a six to eight week waiting list or it is during the nice weather months

Shitloads of decent pubs down there, you can't move for them. Lots of shepherd neame ones and all of them take their ales and craft beer seriously
  • Sportsman is excellent
  • Thanks all. Looks like I'm spoilt for choice - so long as I get on and book it, like now!

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think now is the season for the native oysters, right?
  • How many Oysters can one neck?

6 does it for me
  • Make sure you get some Whitstable Brewery Oyster Stout too if you can, East Quay and Hotel Continental will have it and a few of the offys.

Lovely stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:

How many Oysters can one neck?

6 does it for me

My record is 22 in Calais.

• The Pearsons upstairs has always been good, my eldest daughter used to work there. They also have some upstairs tables with a lovely sea view.
  • Wheelers is a must but unless you are planning to have a takeaway platter booking is essential as its dining room is very small and they have "sittings". Whilst it is unlicensed there is a good off-licence opposite and Wheeler's don't charge corkage.
  • And I just remembered, the last time I was in there I met Lenny Glover. Had to buy him a drink of course.
  • mendonca said:

How many Oysters can one neck?

6 does it for me

Less than one. Vile shit. Like snot in an ashtray.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I love most types of shellfish but they look disgusting
  • I live in Whitstable. If you’re booking at The Sportsman you’ll need to book weeks in advance. The Alimo is really good. As Grumpy said avoid the Oyster company. Another nice restaurant I would recommend is Samphire.
  • If you go to the Alimo then pop in the Handsome Sam micro pub just over the road.
  • The Alimo is lovely. As is Krishna.

Neither have oysters though (no drawback in my book but if they are a must....)
  • Never had oysters there, but JoJo's by the front is very good - http://www.jojosrestaurant.co.uk/
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    This thread was uniformly helpful, a couple of hours ago :-)
  • edited January 2019
    Whilst it’s true that you need to book The Spotsman well in advance for weekends I’m not sure if that’s the case for weekdays.....particularly at this time of the year.
    Do they have a lunch menu......I’m not sure?
    UP DATE......yes, they do have a lunch menu but not on Mondays. My guess is that booking for a lunch at this time of year shouldn’t be too problematical.
    Good luck Richard......by the way and let us know what you decided on.
  • edited January 2019
    I think I will go for Wheelers ahead of the Sportsman cos they have more interesting fishy things, however it is closed until 24th Jan, but therefore I reckon that if I call then, we should be OK for 1st Feb lunch.

And will be back in good time to visit @Riviera's fine establishment.

• I think I will go for Wheelers ahead of the Sportsman cos they have more interesting fishy things, however it is closed until 24th Jan, but therefore I reckon that if I call then, we should be OK for 1st Feb lunch.

The Sportsman won best restaurant in the UK last year, for the second year running.

That's beating places like The Fat Duck, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay...

My Dad knows the owner a little bit because they used to host chess tournaments there, and they're getting people traveling from all over the world to eat there now. It really is good.
  • Don;t get me wrong, the Sportsman looks great, but I reckon we are too late already for 1st Feb, and we would rather focus on the fishy things, its why we are heading to Whitstable.
  • edited January 2019
    Jojos more takerton but pleasant walk along beach footpath excellent homemade food / tapas.

Funnily enough went today best Thai fish soup ever had! and I've had a few.

Always a good list of specials which change daily.

Think from memory they do oysters in the whitstable oyster season. They are restricted when they can harvest, other times of the year they are not local oysters.
  • Chunes said:

I think I will go for Wheelers ahead of the Sportsman cos they have more interesting fishy things, however it is closed until 24th Jan, but therefore I reckon that if I call then, we should be OK for 1st Feb lunch.

The Sportsman won best restaurant in the UK last year, for the second year running.

That's beating places like The Fat Duck, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay...

My Dad knows the owner a little bit because they used to host chess tournaments there, and they're getting people traveling from all over the world to eat there now. It really is good.
    Michelin star rating since 2008.....not cheap of course but a real treat nonetheless.

• edited January 2019

And will be back in good time to visit @Riviera's fine establishment.

After lunch you can pop across the road to The Ship Centurian.....a Freehouse pub that regularly wins awards.
    Real ales and German beers on tap.....previous owner was a larger than life German named Armin Birks who sadly died back in 2013.
    I assume the family still own it?
  • Samphire near Wheelers is good. Jojo’s for a few cocktails and the Meze. Decent wine list at The Sportsman, but felt it was too up itself and overpriced.