Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Billy Clarke

Comments

• @ForeverAddickted good point. We've got Williams in and hes played about 50 games in the last 8yrs I suppose!
  • We don't know what's round the corner, keep him here as a squad player at least
  • Not in the know, just a hunch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was announced after the weekend that he has ‘moved on’

A really good player, who has had a horrible injury, just needs regular game time to hopefully shine, which is hard to come by when you’re chasing promotion.

I watched him closely in the FA cup 2nd round, and he looked very ring rusty, as you’d expect, given the length of time out, and I wondered if he was the same player that he was before the injury, and whether he’d ever get back to his best.

I wonder if Karl wants to get the band back together at Oxford?

• I meant to add ..... thanks for posting though, el-pietro.

Much appreciated.

• Settled team, when did that happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• el-pietro said:

As it happens, this is on of the few subjects I am "in the know" on. I just spoke to his dad. Well his dad stopped me to chat as I was leaving the office.

The gist I got is that Billy asked Bowyer why he isn't getting a chance in the team and was told it was because they are settled and playing well. Billy then said something along the lines of "if I'm not gonna play then I should probably move on". Bowyer suggested that would probably be the best solution for everyone.

So it seems Lee Bowyer simply doesn't rate Billy Clarke and Billy Clarke wants to play football.

No club is lined up yet. His agent is looking. I'd imagine it could happen pretty quickly once a club is found if they can afford Billy's salary.
    I also asked if he would be coming home to play for Cork City and that is not on the cards. Cork City could not afford him anyway but was worth asking.

That all makes sense. Bowyer would rather use different players in that position, while Clarke (after a year out) understandably is desperate to play football.

In the old days, he'd probably have gone somewhere on a month's loan to get his sharpness back and show us what he could do (or not). I don't agree with getting rid of such short term loans, to me it's has a negative impact on fringe players, who either have to go for half a season or to non league.
  • clb74 said:

Settled team, when did that happen.

Just as soon as Jonny Williams played 20 minutes and looked class above, and then played 70 minutes or wherever it was and still looked class above.
  • Leuth said:

I'd be in the controversial camp of preferring Reeves to Clarke myself

It's a close call, but I'd probably agree.
  • They play a different game though. Reeves can play wide cutting in, Clarke is better central
  • clb74 said:

Settled team, when did that happen.

Just as soon as Jonny Williams played 20 minutes and looked class above, and then played 70 minutes or wherever it was and still looked class above.
    Ah that settled , I thought I'd seen us start about 20 different players over the last 10 games
  • Leuth said:

I'd be in the controversial camp of preferring Reeves to Clarke myself

Probably the least surprising thing I've seen Leuth post
  • I was at the Southend home game a couple of years ago and thought Clarke was a cut above everyone. Good player. Problem is we are on a good run so difficult to fit him in. With his contract up soon I would let him go this window and get a fee if possible
  • Sponsored links:

• He needs game time
  • Wherever he ends up I wish him well. Who knows maybe he'll find his way back into our team before the end of the season
  • They play a different game though. Reeves can play wide cutting in, Clarke is better central

Can't say we've see enough of him to make a proper judgement. He's only played 25 games in total (which inc poorly attended cup games) & some of the league games were away. Hand on heart how many games do you reckon you've seem him.in ?? For me I'd probably have to guess at less than a dozen. Jurys out for me I'm afraid.
  • Yes less than 12 but it doesn’t take me that long to form a view as to whether he’s a decent player. He is.
  • Clarke was miles better then Reeves last season but Reeves has stepped up a gear or two. Not a fair comparison because Clarke hasn’t played but it’s definiteky a position we can let one leave and it makes sense all round.
  • Reeves takes 7 touches when two would do. Lightweight and very one-footed. Personally, he’d be way down the pecking order now Lapslie and Cullen are back
  • Wherever he ends up I wish him well. Who knows maybe he'll find his way back into our team before the end of the season

Not if he goes out on loan he won’t, unless it’s to non-league. All loans in the FL are half or full season loans.
  • Must admit, i've only seen Clarke play 3 three times, and each time i thought he was ordinary (but one of those was in his returning game v Mansfield). And Bradford fans didnt rate him before us.
    Just one of those decisions that you leave to Bowyer - he's done pretty well in those decisions in the past tbh.
    IMO, no great loss if he does go - i think we have better in that department.
  • Poor bloke’s on trial with Bolton...