Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Saw The Front Runner yesterday. Interesting account of the downfall of prospective Democratic candidate Gary Hart with a fine performance by Hugh Jackman in the lead role.
  • Options
    philcafc said:

Saw The Front Runner yesterday. Interesting account of the downfall of prospective Democratic candidate Gary Hart with a fine performance by Hugh Jackman in the lead role.

Thought Jackman gave a good performance of a very private character.
  • Options
    Stan and Ollie was wonderful. Great performances by John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan. Their wives, Lucille (Henderson) and Ida (Arianda) are, as the review says, ‘formidable double act in their own right’.
    I shed a tear towards the end (although it doesn’t take much these days).

Colette I also enjoyed. West was excellent, Knightly decent, but she came alive during the dance troupe sequences. I do enjoy a biopic

Aquaman was a bit of a laugh. Due to an inadequacy in my wife’s online ticket purchasing skills we saw the film in ‘Screen X’ at Cineworld.
    They use three projectors, two of which project on the side walls, but only for about twenty percent of the movie. The effect is immersive and quite effective during action or flying sequences.
  • Options
    Watched a British horror movie this week. Don't think I can name it for a while, but will comment now while it's still fresh in the mind.

It's about a single mother and her son. She starts to think it's not her son. Might have something to do with the giant ______ that opened up behind their house.

The film looks great (especially for something so low-budget) and the lead actress is very good. I am not a horror fan, so it's hard to impress me with horror fare. This one relies on the dreaded violins to make fairly innocuous stuff seem scary. The storytelling isn't great either (I had no idea what the main plot point was until a character openly said it an hour into the movie).

It is stuffed with cliches, but it's one of those movies where I feel bad for being negative, cos I am sure the people behind it worked extremely hard to make a good movie (it's the writer/ director's first). I reckon he can go on to make some good stuff, especially if he's not writing the script. He certainly made a small budget go a long way. He just didn't nail the story on this one.

3/7
  • Options
    Saw previews of both Green Book and Beautiful Boy last week, and which are both based on true stories.

Enjoyed Green Book and can see why it won some awards at the Golden Globes. It was all relatively predictable, but still entertaining.

Beautiful Boy was good, but maybe not as much as I expected.
  • Options
    Escape Room

Bunch of strangers invited to a mysterious escape room adventure. Turns out it’s a lot more dangerous than they imagined.

Really good fun. Like Saw but without the gore. Or Cube but with better actors and a bigger budget. It loses its balls at the end, but the journey is fun and it’s really slickly executed. The last few minutes really do fuck it over, I wish it had ended before the epilogue. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony were so desperate for a franchise they forced that ending into the movie. Still, it didn’t undermine the ride up to that point.

3.5/5

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Just in from Stan & Ollie. Lovely, gentle film. Excellent performances as @jamesseed says above. To think I once saw young Steve Coogan doing a stand-up routine in front of about 50 people at a works' do in the canteen.
  • Options
    Saw Stan and Ollie on Monday. Enjoyed it but a bit slow. Great acting performances agreed.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Escape Room

Bunch of strangers invited to a mysterious escape room adventure. Turns out it’s a lot more dangerous than they imagined.

Really good fun. Like Saw but without the gore. Or Cube but with better actors and a bigger budget. It loses its balls at the end, but the journey is fun and it’s really slickly executed. The last few minutes really do fuck it over, I wish it had ended before the epilogue. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony were so desperate for a franchise they forced that ending into the movie. Still, it didn’t undermine the ride up to that point.

3.5/5

I saw something very similar to this, hopefully its done better than that one. Assuming its not this is a new movie?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Escape Room

3.5/5

Both myself and the gf thought it was poor. Made Saw look like an absolute masterpiece.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just to be clear - I think there are several so this is the Escape Room I was talking about:

https://youtu.be/8W6yYBAUxv4

It’s out Feb 1st.
  • Options
    Ah ok, this is the pile of crap we watched. Only decent thing was a fair amount of screen time for the blonde's tits.

https://youtu.be/RQqDpEHSJo8
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Stan and Ollie was wonderful. Great performances by John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan. Their wives, Lucille (Henderson) and Ida (Arianda) are, as the review says, ‘formidable double act in their own right’.
    I shed a tear towards the end (although it doesn’t take much these days).

Colette I also enjoyed. West was excellent, Knightly decent, but she came alive during the dance troupe sequences. I do enjoy a biopic

Aquaman was a bit of a laugh. Due to an inadequacy in my wife’s online ticket purchasing skills we saw the film in ‘Screen X’ at Cineworld.
    They use three projectors, two of which project on the side walls, but only for about twenty percent of the movie. The effect is immersive and quite effective during action or flying sequences.

Just watched Stan and Ollie - I loved it. A very gentle and warm film with excellent performances from the main actors. Steve Coogan is superb.

Took me back to childhood watching some of the sketches.
  • Options
    Have to agree with everyone else, Stan & Ollie such a lovely film, thought Coogan was immense, great performance from the pair.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Glass

If you liked Unbreakable, keep your money in your wallet and don’t let this utter piece of shit ruin the memory of the days when Shyamalan could fluke a decent movie.

0/500
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Ghost Stories on Netflix is decent. Paul Whitehouse and Martin Freeman with cameos. Worth a watch although could have been executed better. 7/10

Saw this in the cinema with people screaming a bit. I thought it was good but not as good as the stage show. The theatre had a sign saying if you left the auditorium, you would not be re-admitted. There was one scene where a girl in the front row couldn't take any more and sprinted out the theatre faster than Linford Christie whilst screaming in terror!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:

Glass

If you liked Unbreakable, keep your money in your wallet and don’t let this utter piece of shit ruin the memory of the days when Shyamalan could fluke a decent movie.

0/500

What I don’t understand is why do they put on the poster in great big letters “ A Film by - M Night Shyamalan -“ as if it’s a good thing ??? The man got lucky with his first film and has made terrible movies ever since .
  • Options
    Sixth Sense was great. Unbreakable was brilliant. I didn’t mind The Village. The rest... they range from abysmal (Last Airbender) to utterly hilariously bad (Lady In The Water or The Happening).
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Sixth Sense was great. Unbreakable was brilliant. I didn’t mind The Village. The rest... they range from abysmal (Last Airbender) to utterly hilariously bad (Lady In The Water or The Happening).

Total agreement. I think The Village is underrated. Unbreakable is maybe the most original superhero movie of all time. I think everyone disses Sixth Sense now because it was so huge at the time. But at the time it was so popular because it was so good. Alas, his stuff since is horrible.
  • Options
    Finally got around to seeing A Star Is Born . I really liked the first hour then it gradually turned into the Lady Ga Ga show and I found it annoying. Bradley Cooper was brilliant though .
    7 out of 10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Glass

0/500

Aw man, was tentatively looking forward to this hoping it’d be the beginning of his redemption :unamused:
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I actually enjoyed Split. The only thing I was disappointed about was that James McAvoy's character turned into a mutant and the film looked like X-Men to me in the end.... I thought it was a psychological thriller about personality dissorder until it went in the 'super power mutant' direction.....

So I don't particularly look forward to Glass.
  • Options
    Didn't expect to enjoy The Favourite at all. Feared it was over-hyped historical drama, alleged comedy, and went reluctantly as a favour for a ladyfriend. But it was damn good. Now recommending to everyone.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Bird Box - 7.5/10 - Thriller
    Interesting one if you strip it down it isn't the greatest script or doesn't really make you want to watch it. Think its along the same lines as quiet place, kind of predictable too. That said i did enjoy it, with a few clever twists and the acting was very good imo. Worth a watch but wont blow you away.

Sorry got to disagree, imo it was an appalling film, started well enough, but ended up farcical. Another take on a Zombie film, pelt!
    Just spend 2 hours staring at a lamp post instead, its more rewarding. 1/10
    Agree entirely. Watched it to see what all the hype was about. Waste of time. 1/10
  • Options
    Arqaaaman......Fuck me Aquaman was bad, and I mean really bad. Like Jimmy, I thought Id been watching for three straight days and it still had 35 minutes to go. Truly bloody awful and the only people it will appeal to are middle aged women swooning over Jason Momoa. 2/10
  • Options
    Actually surprised that I liked Birdbox....the write ups didnt appeal but I was stuck for something to wtach and I have to say I liked it. 6.5/10
  • Options
    Operation Finale. What a gem of a film this turned out to be. In a nutshell its the story of tracking down Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann superbly played by Ben Kingsley. Set in Argentina where Eichmann fled to and how Mossad agents tracked him down was quite intriguing.....especially the way they spirited him out of the country. Well worth a look. 7/10
  • Options
    Preferred Mary Queen of Scots to The Favourite. Although, having read a lot about that period of history, some wasn’t factually correct. However it was well done. Until the end. Which happened abruptly. Was enjoying it and could have had another half hour in it I think to properly wrap it up instead of a written conclusion before the credits.
  • Options

Preferred Mary Queen of Scots to The Favourite. Although, having read a lot about that period of history, some wasn’t factually correct. However it was well done. Until the end. Which happened abruptly. Was enjoying it and could have had another half hour in it I think to properly wrap it up instead of a written conclusion before the credits.

I've been looking forward to it for some time . The trailer looks great.
  • Options
    Mary Queen of Scots is so factually incorrect it makes Titanic look like a documentary.