Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Icons

Anyone watching this? I've seen the first three and found them fascinating. I'm looking forward to seeing the next on catch up.

The leaders one seemed a very tight, imo, three way split between Mandela, Churchill and Roosevelt. I think Mandela shaded it for me on his willingness to die for his beliefs. Thought Thatcher was well off the pace; a poor makeweight.

For explorers, I was amazed by the courage, tenacity and camaraderie shown by Shackleton (perhaps he could have been in the leaders section). To be the first man on the moon though, isn't that the ultimate achievement for a 20th century explorer? My vote would therefore go to Armstrong. Bell and Goodall were both interesting and inspirational people, but I'm sorry I can't see in any way how you can be considered the most iconic explorer when you are travelling to places that are already inhabited.

I thought that Einstein would be a shoe in for iconic scientist. After all he's the one who's name checked whenever someone comes out with something clever: "ooh, hark at Einstein over their". I did think though that both the Marie Curie and Alan Turing stories were absolutely amazing. Tu Youyou, I struggled with. Partly for my childish wish that she should become the new replacement for Barry Chuckle and partly because I never got to grips with the actual science part of the story, it came across more as a story of struggle to survive under a totalitarian regime.

Whatever the results though, it' great viewing and a fascinating insight into the lives and achievements of some truly great people.

Comments

• What channel is this on? Or is this a fever dream?
  • FFS It's all been done before! What is this obsession with calling anyone the greatest ever?
  • It's just a little bit more interesting than sniping at other people's ideas.
  • Riviera said:

FFS It's all been done before! What is this obsession with calling anyone the greatest ever?

I don’t know, I’m not sure anyone has ever tried to pass Thatcher off as somehow comparable to Mandela, Churchill and Roosevelt before.
  • Brilliant result ... exactly as it should be ... Alan Turing
  • stonemuse said:

Brilliant result ... exactly as it should be ... Alan Turing

Agree. Chris Packham's speech nailed it, but in terms of legacy, why not Alan Turing? Seemed the weakest on the face of it, but I think Picasso deserved some serious consideration
  • For me it was between Turing and Mandela. Packham was easily the most impressive of the advocates.