Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can We Go Unbeaten Until The End Of The Season?

With another transfer window, and some fresh signings ,comes renewed hope of a promotion.

The fact we are even in the top 6 competing, considering we are supposedly up for sale, and have been decimated by injuries is incredible.

I’m sure somebody could produce a stat of injuries compared with other seasons, but to me it feels like this season, we’ve had about 3 seasons worth of injuries to contend with in about half a season.

IMO I’d say at the moment, we are 90% likely for the playoffs (to cock it up now would be an embarrassment) as long as the lads keep focused, and work hard.

And I’d say we’re 10% likely to get top 2, not saying it’s impossible, but we’d need to go on a heck of a run, and storm up up the table, showing absolutely no mercy to any team.

So in order to make top 2, I believe we’d have to go unbeaten until the end of the season, as 8 defeats is way too many (Sunderland have 2).

We need some belief, we need a bit of luck and good fortune, So can we go unbeaten until the end of the season, assuming we don’t get decimated with injuries in this half of the season?

Comments

• edited January 2019
    No mate, there are 10 or 12 sides in that division in a relegation scrap.

They will be kicking, biting, pinching, and cheating to get the 3 points.

Add that to 8 sides chasing promotion

To intense to go unbeaten in this division IMO.
  • Although we have more defeats our draws are a lot lower so wins are about on par.

Agree though for top two we are probably going to need about 13/14 wins from 18 and rely on other results. It’s hard to see past Portsmouth, Barnsley or Sunderland for top two right now.

Not impossible and all to play for and the next 6 games are very win-able. By late Feb we’ll know if we are still in with a shout.

• But, there ain't a team in this division who could sustain this, Thompson was crucial for pompey from what I saw, they've now given him back to Millwall, they could fade away like Shrewsbury.

It's Deffo all to play for but don't think we have to go unbeaten to end up in top 2.
  • No.That would assume a level of consistency that we haven't yet demonstrated.

My thoughts too.
  • I don't think we've got out of third gear yet.
    Have to agree with OP, however we're not going to go unbeaten for the rest of the season. Too inconsistent..
  • Another thing. Lyle Taylor.
    Lose him for any length of time and we are mortally wounded.
  • Jinxed that then fella. Cheers
  • edited January 2019
    No. I don’t think we’ll go unbeaten until the end of January.
  • Nice thought but being realistic..nope.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a chance, but if continue as we are doing - going for the wins, with the thought that we'll lose the odd 1 or 2 then we'll be ok.

sod the draws
  • Nope, couple of defeats and a draw or two as well.
  • When we win the next 18 games - not just go undefeated - that will give us 104 points. Should be enough to win the title, not just go up automatically.
  • Will Lee Bowyer be considered a failure if he doesn't get promotion ?
    Answer to that and the original question is no
  • edited January 2019
    No, because in going for wins, we will leave ourselves open and I expect we will lose more than one game before end of season.
    14 wins and 4 loses would be great, Unlikely I know.

Ironically the Cafc manager who had the longest unbeaten run in the Douchebag era was Big Bob Peeters at the beginning of a season when we were the last team to lose in the championship. That was because we were quite rigid and the full backs were told not to overlap which frustrated Wiggins who loved a run down the wing. In the end coaches worked us out and we stopped winning and player power won the day.
  • Yes we will and we will score a minimum 3 goals each game and win by a minimum 2 goal margin each game as well. All the teams around us will collapse and Oxford will finish third behind Southend.
  • Highly doubtful but whatever happens this season Bowyer, Jacko & Gallen have put some pride back into club with a thin squad and a shoestring budget. Play offs would be great but if we lose it, we lose it. Be gutting but with this management team the future looks bright.

Would be brighter with new owners of course!
  • Bit of a tall order to go unbeaten,but all teams around us will lose games,Pompey and Luton still to play each other,both have to come to the valley.Plenty of twists and turns to come,this is gonna be tense.
  • No chance, wonder what odds you would get for that?

I dont think autos is out of reach but its unlikely so i would agree 10%/15% chance, but it would be great if we can get a run together as others will drop points. I have actually thought all along Portsmouth might slip, beginning of season i put Sunderland / Barnsley top 2 with us coming 3rd , could see that happening.
  • Sponsored links:

• No.That would assume a level of consistency that we haven't yet demonstrated.

Yet.
  • No, I have a feeling Peterborough will beat us when we go there.
  • When we win the next 18 games - not just go undefeated - that will give us 104 points. Should be enough to win the title, not just go up automatically.

Whatever you're on can you send me some please?

We will lose a few games and draw a few but should still finish in top six - which considering the number of top players who have been injured (and not just for a couple of matches) would be an achievement.

The only thing that could derail a realistic bid for promotion would be the sale of our best players combined with a failure to sign at least another two to strengthen the squad.

So, unusually for me, optimism rules for the moment, but the unknown factor is Roland. He could end that within days.
  • Yes. If we don’t lose any of the remaining matches. :smiley:
  • I hope so. Just had a tenner @ 25s to be champions

• It's Deffo all to play for but don't think we have to go unbeaten to end up in top 2.

We just need 1 more point than the team that finishes 3rd. :smile:

Coral are offering 50/1 😭😭😭
  • Not a chance, but if continue as we are doing - going for the wins, with the thought that we'll lose the odd 1 or 2 then we'll be ok.

sod the draws

Exactly Lee Bowyer's thinking.

Coral are offering 50/1 😭😭😭
    Well in that case, fuck it, hope we don't
  • Ridiculous to even consider it.