Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Who - new album on the way

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/14/the-who-confirm-first-new-studio-album-in-13-years-tour

Funny enough, while I was reading this over lunch, "Who are you?" was playing on the restaurant's system. The Who were one of my favourite bands until they faded from the scene in the early 80's. "Who's Next" is one of my favourite albums of all times, and I still enjoy it today.

So I read about this new album with distinct misgivings, especially when I read this from Daltrey:

"Ours is music to fight to and if it ever loses that fighting edge – which still exists between Pete and I – then I will stop. Because then I will be cheating my audience.”

Well I dunno. I listened to "Endless Wire" once, and thought it was a load of old pony. It had none of the energy of that song that was jumping out of the restaurant's speakers just now. Music to fight to? Come off it, Rog. That was music for old farts to drift off to.

Others may disagree :-)

Comments

• Amazed if this is anything other than rubbish tbh. They are too old and probably musically tired. Never go back.
  • edited January 2019
    I read this the other day, really looking forward to it.

When I went to RD's book launch in October, he came over to our side of the stage on his way out and stopped for a brief chat with people. Someone asked him about new music/tours and he said maybe, even with The Who. Thought he was just saying it to please people but maybe not.
  • I read this the other day, really looking forward to it.

When I went to RD's book launch in October, he came over to our side of the stage on his way out and stopped for a brief chat with people. Someone asked him about new music/tours and he said maybe, even with The Who. Thought he was just saying it to please people but maybe not.

Agreed, looking forward to it as well.

Whatever happened to Pete's book... :wink:

He released it years ago?
  • One of the lads I work with is a complete fanatic and follows them everywhere. He's probably seen them as much in the US as he has here and has just sent me through a link for the new US tour. He'll head over in October and see all the gigs from the 11th til the end.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-who-us-moving-on-dates-778467/

No dates announced for the UK yet, but he's expecting them to do so.
  • Amazed if this is anything other than rubbish tbh. They are too old and probably musically tired. Never go back.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

I'll suspend judgement and hope for the best.

Roland has written a book?

Unbelievable comment, one of the greatest ever rock n roll bands and it’s gonna be rubbish cos they’re old!!
  • "Hope I die before I get old".
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Amazed if this is anything other than rubbish tbh. They are too old and probably musically tired. Never go back.

Unbelievable comment, one of the greatest ever rock n roll bands and it’s gonna be rubbish cos they’re old!!
    What’s their recent catalogue like ?

• Coming here to Indy on May 18th Confirmed
  • i ride my GS scooter with my hair cut neat i wear my war time coat in the rain and sleet
  • Greenie said:

Amazed if this is anything other than rubbish tbh. They are too old and probably musically tired. Never go back.

Harsh SHG, their last top 40 hit was a mere 40 years ago.
    You better you bet it was :smile:
  • Had to leave the concert early at the valley could still hear them as I walked across blackheath
  • Played a gig in Copenhagen a few years ago, the night after pete Townsend, the sound guy was telling how PT was complaining everything was too loud!

Only 1/2 of the greatest rock and roll band now...

Admittedly Endless Wite wasn’t great, it did have a couple of decent tracks though.

Roger Daltery’s solo album last year was superb though (one of the best numbers was co written by a poster on here). Townsend played on a few numbers too.
  • Obviously won't be a patch on the classics but it's good to see them still at it - they've earned the right to do whatever they want.

One thing I really felt that Endless Wire was missing though was John Entwistle's thundering bass, arguably as much a part of their signature sound as anything.
  • edited January 2019

Whoa......steady on there fella!
    What’s with the never go back comment.....they have never been away.

• One of the greatest bands. However just wish they stayed and just played their classics live, like the Stones do.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019

Greenie said:

Whoa......steady on there fella!
    What’s with the never go back comment.....they have never been away.

Totally agree @SoundAsa£
    This is from 18 months ago, look at that set list.......barring the Stones most bands would kill for a list like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOs0QsB_X8Q
  • I posted the thread up because something about the way Daltrey and Townsend were talking there sounded a bit like they'd got stuck up their own arses, and it made me feel a bit sad about a band I used to revere. They could talk like that if they had released some decent albums after 1980, like, say Eric Clapton, or carried on touring til they virtually drop dead, like the Stones. But they can't claim either. By 1985 the great Mod was fronting TV commercials for American Express. Speaking of Mods, his protege Paul Weller, just gets on with both creating new music and touring, often in quite small venues.

In mitigation, the loss of Keith Moon was a tragedy for everyone, and clearly Townsend has always had his issues which shouldn't be underestimated. Just think someone should tell the pair of them that they sound like Bono at his most bombastic. Which is not a good look.

I'll give that newish Daltrey album a listen though, if @DaveMehmet likes it.
  • I posted the thread up because something about the way Daltrey and Townsend were talking there sounded a bit like they'd got stuck up their own arses, and it made me feel a bit sad about a band I used to revere. They could talk like that if they had released some decent albums after 1980, like, say Eric Clapton, or carried on touring til they virtually drop dead, like the Stones. But they can't claim either. By 1985 the great Mod was fronting TV commercials for American Express. Speaking of Mods, his protege Paul Weller, just gets on with both creating new music and touring, often in quite small venues.

In mitigation, the loss of Keith Moon was a tragedy for everyone, and clearly Townsend has always had his issues which shouldn't be underestimated. Just think someone should tell the pair of them that they sound like Bono at his most bombastic. Which is not a good look.

I’m afraid I have to agree.

I think they can actually claim to have toured more than the Stones in recent times, about twice as many in the 21st century.
  • Going by that clip above, the thing that shines is the songwriting is fantastic, but isn't that the point about their legacy? but the performance, their ability now is somewhat tired, if peeps are happy to go see this then happy days.
    For me theres no Ox or Moonie so it aint the Who.
  • RedMist said:

Going by that clip above, the thing that shines is the songwriting is fantastic, but isn't that the point about their legacy? but the performance, their ability now is somewhat tired, if peeps are happy to go see this then happy days.
    For me theres no Ox or Moonie so it aint the Who.

For me The Who are Pete and Roge. I've seen them twice in the last 5 or 6 years and they were awesome.
  • Hmm, no, for me The Who was all of them, but having a jaded session guy playing bass, though paulo paladinio is an amazing player, he aint Mr Entwhistle, though noone could be, he was like the Beethoven of Bass, and that is why it will never be the Who, and don't get me started on the drummer...
    Example 1, keith moon had all those drums only so he knew he would manage to hit at least some of them...
  • RedMist said:

Hmm, no, for me The Who was all of them, but having a jaded session guy playing bass, though paulo paladinio is an amazing player, he aint Mr Entwhistle, though noone could be, he was like the Beethoven of Bass, and that is why it will never be the Who, and don't get me started on the drummer...
    Example 1, keith moon had all those drums only so he knew he would manage to hit at least some of them...

But Keith Moon and John Entwistle are dead! So are John Bonham, Brian Jones and Syd Barrett! The Who still rock and when I saw them last at The o2 and they played 5:15 they played The Ox's bass solo via a backing track.
  • Riviera said:

I posted the thread up because something about the way Daltrey and Townsend were talking there sounded a bit like they'd got stuck up their own arses, and it made me feel a bit sad about a band I used to revere. They could talk like that if they had released some decent albums after 1980, like, say Eric Clapton, or carried on touring til they virtually drop dead, like the Stones. But they can't claim either. By 1985 the great Mod was fronting TV commercials for American Express. Speaking of Mods, his protege Paul Weller, just gets on with both creating new music and touring, often in quite small venues.

I think they can actually claim to have toured more than the Stones in recent times, about twice as many in the 21st century.
    Is that right? I don't dispute it, but I think I wasn't aware perhaps because one difference may be that the Stones do World tours, (and i can only marvel at their stamina). They've been to Prague at least four times since I moved here. I wasn't aware of the Who touring, or even playing, until I read about it here. They'd fill a big venue if they came to Prague, all rockers of a certain age revere them. But they don't seem interested in touring Europe.

• I’ve seen the who loads of times and my favourite band but lately the singing and Petes sharpness is no longer there. And why should it, they are heading towards their 80’s.
    When roger sang Tea & theatre at the O2 on the Quadrophenia tour (which was immense), I thought that signalled the end of live touring. Seen them since and sadly the spark that made the difference is no longer there although they both try their damned best to do so. Long live rock but those great times will always be with me forever.
    As for Roger and his solo career and debut album Daltrey wasn’t great but a couple of my favourites were “giving it all away@ and “one man band@.