Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Courtauld Impressionists: From Manet to Cézanne' at National Gallery until 20th Jan

Really excellent exhibition, but it ends on 20th Jan. Visited it today.

Here's what to expect....

https://artdutton.blogspot.com/2019/01/impressionists-exhibition-at-national.html

'A celebration of major Impressionist paintings from The Courtauld Gallery.

Opening at the National Gallery this autumn, 'Courtauld Impressionists: From Manet to Cézanne' traces the development of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings through a selection of over forty masterpieces.

Enjoy highlights from The Courtauld Gallery, including famous works by Cézanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Renoir, Manet, and Seurat alongside a selection of much-loved Impressionist paintings from the Gallery’s own holdings.

This exhibition is a collaboration between the National Gallery and The Courtauld Gallery.'

Comments

• There's some great paintings there, but given that you can walk from Somerset House to the National Gallery in about 10 minutes it seems a strange idea for an exhibition. Why not keep all that wonderful art in-situ and bring some pieces to town that people couldn't normally see?
  • edited January 2019
    Agree, but thought it was a nice mix of Cautauld and National Gallery paintings.
    I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the giant Seurat. Had a poster of it on my wall for years when I was younger, but had never seen the real thing.
    A rare day out with the missus too.
  • Stig said:

There's some great paintings there, but given that you can walk from Somerset House to the National Gallery in about 10 minutes it seems a strange idea for an exhibition. Why not keep all that wonderful art in-situ and bring some pieces to town that people couldn't normally see?

The Courtauld Gallery in Somerset House is currently closed for redevelopment work, hence this is another way of showing them
  • It’s my favourite gallery.
  • Solidgone said:

It’s my favourite gallery.

Which?

Courtauld or National?
  • JamesSeed said:

Really excellent exhibition, but it ends on 20th Jan. Visited it today.

Here's what to expect....

https://artdutton.blogspot.com/2019/01/impressionists-exhibition-at-national.html

'A celebration of major Impressionist paintings from The Courtauld Gallery.

Opening at the National Gallery this autumn, 'Courtauld Impressionists: From Manet to Cézanne' traces the development of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings through a selection of over forty masterpieces.

Enjoy highlights from The Courtauld Gallery, including famous works by Cézanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Renoir, Manet, and Seurat alongside a selection of much-loved Impressionist paintings from the Gallery’s own holdings.

This exhibition is a collaboration between the National Gallery and The Courtauld Gallery.'

Thanks for this, must get along.
  • Disapointed there was nothing from Mike Yarwood there!
  • Discussing paintings on a football forum?

What is the world coming to?
    If you like pictures so much, buy a telly. There's a new one every time you look at it.

We're not all Neanderthals!
  • SOOOOO jealous of anyone who gets to go to this.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

Solidgone said:

It’s my favourite gallery.

Which?

Courtauld or National?
    Courtalds. I must know or seen every painting in there (Has some of the best Rubens).
  • JamesSeed said:

Agree, but thought it was a nice mix of Cautauld and National Gallery paintings.
    I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the giant Seurat. Had a poster of it on my wall for years when I was younger, but had never seen the real thing.
    A rare day out with the missus too.

At the time Seurat painted The Bathers, galleries were full of (often awful) giant paintings of the aristocracy, generals and monarchs, and Seurat apparently wanted to counter that by painting ordinary workers on a similar scale.
    I didn’t realise that until yesterday.

Up the workers!