Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pointless meetings

They cost $541bn a year, according to research (https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/1129766-pointless-meetings-cost-541bn-2019). Yet we've all suffered them and the appetite in some organisations for them appears undiminished.

So, what pointless meetings have you been involved in? Do you have any good stories about what's happened in pointless meetings? Or, have you worked out cunning plans to get out of them?

Comments

• Had a pointless meeting with these two fellas
  • edited January 2019

Chizz said:

They cost $541bn a year, according to research (https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/1129766-pointless-meetings-cost-541bn-2019). Yet we've all suffered them and the appetite in some organisations for them appears undiminished.

So, what pointless meetings have you been involved in? Do you have any good stories about what's happened in pointless meetings? Or, have you worked out cunning plans to get out of them?

Not one member of the fans forum has responded ,which is surprising.
    Ironically only just seen this as the club just rang me to clarify some points from the last fans forum meeting.

• Sitting in one right now. Almost lunchtime here thank god.
  • I used to fly across China once a month for managers meetings, the company would fly us all from various cities around China to Chengdu.

The meetings themselves were often useful but why not just have a conference call, it must have cost them a fortune in flights and hotels.
  • Karl Pilkington on meetings

https://youtu.be/LIOoVO3aCFE
  • Sponsored links:

• The most pointless meeting I ever attended was in Carlisle, I drove up from Dartford was I asked I question and said no, after two minutes left the meeting and drove home. I did ask why we didn’t do the question over the phone, a very very good customer of mine said he won a bet that I would drive 800 miles for a stupid question. Wasn’t happy added another £20k onto his next job which he unwittingly paid.

I mean...that's pretty fucking brilliant on both sides if you ask me. It's basically as close to this as you'll get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGaHqk2NJPI
  • stonemuse said:

Used to work in Singapore on a regular basis and received a call one day that I was needed over there. I explained that the date required was only a couple of days before I was going on holiday.

Apparently no problem as I would arrive in morning and leave again the following evening.

Arrived in Singapore about 7.30 in the morning, in office by 8.30. Informed that meetings cancelled due to illness and no point in me staying. Back to airport and managed to get on a lunchtime flight back home, landing about 19.00 UK time.

Out of the UK for just over 30 hours and didn’t even attend the bloody meeting!

@stonemuse At least you got plenty of airmiles 😉
  • When I worked at ING I was in a meeting with a bloke who had (at the time) just bought a new palm pilot thingy.

He was leading the meeting and from time to time took time out to tap away on his new gadget.

We thought he was being a bit of a twat but thought he was taking notes etc.....after the third or fourth time out for him to take notes, he looked up and said - “These things are amazing, I’ve just done all of my banking on this”

Wanker.
  • Had a meeting once where the meeting was to discuss who should go to the meetings.
  • Had a meeting once where the meeting was to discuss who should go to the meetings.

To be fair, if you come to a conclusion in that meeting it reduces the wasted time of other individuals and is thus a useful meeting.

If you don't it's a load of shit.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Had a meeting once where the meeting was to discuss who should go to the meetings.

To be fair, if you come to a conclusion in that meeting it reduces the wasted time of other individuals and is thus a useful meeting.

If you don't it's a load of shit.
    What come out of it was that most people thought that they were so important that they had to be there. In my view 50% didn't need to be.
  • Pointless meetings. One of the reasons I got out of The City! (Miss it though!)