Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To go or not to go, that is the question

Comments

• Options

Not really sure with the attention seeking thread to be honest but good luck, you’re either Charlton or your not?

Can’t wait for tomorrow with the real fans

So you're not going then?
  • Options
    I think I might mate
  • Options
    The team will need all the support it can get against Sunderland,we will no doubt have a number of youngsters ln the squad who will love playing in front of a large crowd.Just go and enjoy the day.
  • Options
    Going today and can't wait.

It's been a while since I walked down Floyd Road.
  • Options
    Haven't been to a home League game for over three years, went to the home playoff leg last season (as somebody got two tickets and asked me to go) other than that the only time I have been to the The Valley in ages was the Legends game.

I am still boycotting today but arranging work and childcare so I can be there against Accrington, in case a sale does actually occur.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Going today and can't wait.

It's been a while since I walked down Floyd Road.

Judas :-)
  • Options
    Even if Pol Pot owned the club, you should still go. There is a team that needs supporting.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The OP having weighed up all the responses has already stated that he won't be going which is his decision and should be respected.

There is no right or wrong on this, it is each to their own and I can't see the point of continuing to persuade like minded strong principled boycotters otherwise. They should be welcomed back with open arms to form a united fan base when the club has officially changed hands.

Please close the thread Admin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

So it was yet another false dawn then.
    Glad I maintained my boycott although sad I can't see Charlton live because of it.
    Let's all hope the sale goes through soon to an owner, or owner group, that respects the club, it's history, it's place in the community and it's fans.

This. if the takeover doesn't happen, all fans should boycott.
  • Options
    iainment said:

So it was yet another false dawn then.
    Glad I maintained my boycott although sad I can't see Charlton live because of it.
    Let's all hope the sale goes through soon to an owner, or owner group, that respects the club, it's history, it's place in the community and it's fans.

Although that is the case, the ground was absolutely buzzing and although im left disappointed again it has me quietly optimistic that one day this club will be great again.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

I am sorely tempted to go but am resisting temptation - even with the offer of a free ticket.

Each to their own, and I don't blame anyone who feels differently, but for me its not a penny more until the sale is 100% confirmed.

Just fucking go, life's too short and Roland is an easy excuse.

But this is bollocks. There is nothing easy for boycotters staying away.
    While I admire your stance, your absence tomorrow will not make a jot of difference in the grand scale of things.
    That's a matter of opinion. What I object to is someone having a bit of a pop at people maintaining their boycott and saying that it's an easy excuse. Excuse for what, FFS? I doubt there are many, if any, who are making excuses not to go. I and many others are boycotting out of principle.
    If your boycotting out of principle, which is a fine thing to do in many ways, what's happens if/when the next owner turns up and with the shortage of local businessman made good in 2019, is from a Country where it's a one party state with shocking human rights ?

Maybe Saudi Arabia or dubious money from Eastern Europe.

Most of us cherry pick our principles because we are homo sapiens and flawed.
    I'm just not sure that despite Douchebag being an eccentric old duffer who have turned Cafc into a sad soap opera, it was worth giving up your Charlton valley fix.
  • Options
    Do boycotters go to away games?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

• Options

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

What’s the rationale for not going to away games (sorry, not asking you to answer for everyone!)?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Did you go @LargeAddick ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

What’s the rationale for not going to away games (sorry, not asking you to answer for everyone!)?
    I don't go to any games because I don't want to support Duchatelet's Charlton.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

I have gone to fewer and fewer away games over the years.
    The decision to boycott just capped that decline and led to no away games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

Will that change though if and when he sells?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

It's not Duchatelet's Charlton. He is just the present owner. It's our club, the fans, supporters and the myriad of football tourists who turn up because the valley is cheap to watch football compared to many grounds. They become fans for the day.
    Had interesting chats with many football tourists at the valley over the last few years.
    Two Scandinavian guys came to London for a weekend of football. They said they paid £10 for two Charlton tickets (fiver game) and £190 for two Arsenal tickets (Huddersfield on the Sunday) and said it was normally dearer than that !

Duchatelet's Charlton, NEVER.
    Not for all the sofas in a DFS sale.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

It's not Duchatelet's Charlton. He is just the present owner. It's our club, the fans, supporters and the myriad of football tourists who turn up because the valley is cheap to watch football compared to many grounds.
    All the time he pays the bills and makes (or doesn't make) the decisions then it is Duchatelet's Charlton, whether you accept it or not.
  • Options

iainment said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

Will that change though if and when he sells?
    The change will be that I will be happy and able to go to Charlton games home or away.
    Whether I will depends on my current use of football time. If it's more attractive to go to football I will, if not I'll be doing other things.
    But certainly Charlton will be seen even if not as regularly as before.
  • Options

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

psst.......he doesn't.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

I am sorely tempted to go but am resisting temptation - even with the offer of a free ticket.

Each to their own, and I don't blame anyone who feels differently, but for me its not a penny more until the sale is 100% confirmed.

While I admire your stance, your absence tomorrow will not make a jot of difference in the grand scale of things.
    That's a matter of opinion. What I object to is someone having a bit of a pop at people maintaining their boycott and saying that it's an easy excuse. Excuse for what, FFS? I doubt there are many, if any, who are making excuses not to go. I and many others are boycotting out of principle.
    If your boycotting out of principle, which is a fine thing to do in many ways, what's happens if/when the next owner turns up and with the shortage of local businessman made good in 2019, is from a Country where it's a one party state with shocking human rights ?

I'm just not sure that despite Douchebag being an eccentric old duffer who have turned Cafc into a sad soap opera, it was worth giving up your Charlton valley fix.
    I would boycott or abandon the club completely in certain circumstances. That would be a hard and complex decision.

Edit: by the way, it troubles me that some people are so cavalier about their "principles" or in their views of others' principled stances. To me, it's not just a light, passing state of mind. My stance is based on very deeply and firmly held views on things which matter to me deep down, like the way in which the club has abandoned it's ethics in recent years, not least in the matter of staff bonuses. To me, that is way more important than the "we're doing well, get behind Lord Bow, the lads need you" platitudes trotted out. Principles are principles and should be held very dear, not discarded like so much inconvenient baggage.
    100% on the principles, and this what the critics of the boycotters do not get.

Wtf am I going to give money to a geezer that is shafting my club. If the dude still owns The Valley(which it would not surprise me in the least, whilst fully accepting the details Airman gives to the fact it would be unlikely) when this deal is eventually pushed through, I will still not attend The Valley.
    Oh boy, that just opens up another can of worms which I'd not thought about. Will I ever get back?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

I would boycott or abandon the club completely in certain circumstances. That would be a hard and complex decision.

Edit: by the way, it troubles me that some people are so cavalier about their "principles" or in their views of others' principled stances. To me, it's not just a light, passing state of mind. My stance is based on very deeply and firmly held views on things which matter to me deep down, like the way in which the club has abandoned it's ethics in recent years, not least in the matter of staff bonuses. To me, that is way more important than the "we're doing well, get behind Lord Bow, the lads need you" platitudes trotted out. Principles are principles and should be held very dear, not discarded like so much inconvenient baggage.
    100% on the principles, and this what the critics of the boycotters do not get.

Wtf am I going to give money to a geezer that is shafting my club. If the dude still owns The Valley(which it would not surprise me in the least, whilst fully accepting the details Airman gives to the fact it would be unlikely) when this deal is eventually pushed through, I will still not attend The Valley.
    Oh boy, that just opens up another can of worms which I'd not thought about. Will I ever get back?
    Sorry.
  • Options

Each to their own, but some people will just never get it