Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First Half Performances

I thought first half today v Sunderland was the poorest first half I’ve seen at the valley this season, we stood off of them and gave them far too much respect.

Do you think it was down to nerves of what was at stake , or a lack of big game mentality?

By the way at half time I was relieved we were only 1 down, and thought surely we can’t play as bad as this in the 2nd half.
Thought we were outstanding in the 2nd half.

Hope we start well away to Shrewsbury next Saturday.

Comments

• You should have been at Barnsley.
  • You should have been at Barnsley.

Or Coventry
  • I was at Barnsley at home, but not the away game, I know we are traditionally pretty rubbish over Christmas time, and after Southend away over Christmas last Christmas, decided to give Barnsley and Coventry away a swerve, and leave that for my lads to do, I’m still recovering from the 5-0 defeat against West Ham about 500 years ago!
  • We grew into the first half today. The last 5 mins or so was all us.

It is noticeable that we either concede early or score early of late.
  • Agree with canters. Got going from about 30/35 when Sarr started playing forward instead of out to Solly. Taylor got more of the ball in the middle and we gave their defence more to think about.
    Still that doesn't explain much. Yes we seem to be slow starters first half!
  • For 35 minutes they were the best side I've seen down the Valley this season. Exploited our diamond formation especially down their left, our right.

Should have been game over buy then but fortunately we had the better number 9
  • I thought Pratley’s first half performance was one of the worst I’ve ever seen in a Charlton player.

Thankful that we somehow held on to 1-0 into half time, imagine Sunderland now feeling frustrated they didn’t go in 2 or 3 up especially considering our superb performance in 2nd half.
  • I think tactically teams have a game plan of how to play against us, we are fairly predictable once you see the names on the team sheet, the same can't usually be said of us having a plan (it seems) so it takes a while for us to find our feet, often after the half time break where by then bowyer and jacko can replan.

Today we were pressed high by their front 2/3 the second we had the ball at the back meaning two midfielders come back for the ball then there's almost no where to go, equally our diamond especially down our right was heavily exposed, mainly due to Pratley being out of position and no cover from the front 3.

A lot of our side lacks intelligence so is unable to see whats happening and adapt, they can only follow instruction which isn't easy during a fast flowing and changing game.

It's why we are where we are and common in a lot of league 1 and below sides. Players like Fosu are a prime example, clearly a lot of natural ability but no football brain, his decision making is what makes him a league one player.

Of the starting 10 outfield players only really Sarr, Solly, Bielik & Morgan who are both still learning their trade and Taylor I would say have real football intelligence. It's one thing being able to pick a pass, a 50 yard cross field ball or lay a delicate defence splitting pass, it's a whole other matter seeing it's on in the first place.

If you look at our league 1 promotion side, as well as natural ability they almost all had a decent football intelligence, Jackson being the obvious example. I've no doubt Fosu has more natural skill/ability but he'll never be as good a player as Jackson.

• We actually have one the best first half records in the league, I just think today we showed them a little too much respect and were a bit nervous. Once we grew into the game and Bowyer told them this, we were fantastic second half.
  • I thought Pratley’s first half performance was one of the worst I’ve ever seen in a Charlton player.

Thankful that we somehow held on to 1-0 into half time, imagine Sunderland now feeling frustrated they didn’t go in 2 or 3 up especially considering our superb performance in 2nd half.

Pratley was awful in the first half.

I'll credit him with not hiding though and he improved in the second although that missed header was probably the chance of the match for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• We seemed nervous at the start and going a goal down so quickly didn't help. Credit to the team for staying in the game despite being outplayed.

Most of our possession in the first half seemed to be in our own half but for the last ten minutes or so we started to look threatening. Nobody hid and given the makeshift nature of the team we have to accept that with so many players out of position we will struggle.

Some of the criticism of Pratley and Djiksteel is completely OTT.
  • I mentioned on the main thread that in our last 3 matches we
    Started terribly at Barnsley, going 2-0 down before clawing our way back into the game
    Started brilliantly vs Walsall, going 2-0 UP before they got back into the game
    Started terribly vs Sunderland, before clawing our way back etc

There's a curious lack of consistency in the way we come out of the blocks
  • We were excellent in the first half at home to Walsall and crap in the second half exactly the opposite of yesterday.
  • I think yesterday we gave them too much respect in the 1st half, the 2nd half we got stuck into them and could have won it.
  • I think yesterday we gave them too much respect in the 1st half, the 2nd half we got stuck into them and could have won it.

I think it was much simpler, they knew our out from the back was to Bielik so they stoped that, then we didn't know what to do.
  • LenGlover said:

I thought Pratley’s first half performance was one of the worst I’ve ever seen in a Charlton player.

I'll credit him with not hiding though and he improved in the second although that missed header was probably the chance of the match for us.
    Grant's chance was easier. Pratley is a bit of a scapegoat so getting extra criticism but Grant definitely should have scored.
  • LenGlover said:

I thought Pratley’s first half performance was one of the worst I’ve ever seen in a Charlton player.

Grant's chance was easier. Pratley is a bit of a scapegoat so getting extra criticism but Grant definitely should have scored.
    I disagree. Grant's came at him waist high on his 'wrong' foot. Pratley had a free header in an unmarked position. I accept he deserves credit for losing his marker to be in an unmarked position.
  • Grants was a virtual tap in at the far post, even if on his wrong foot - absolutely no excuse for not at least hitting the target with that

to be fair the same could be said of Pratley, no excuse for not hitting the target with a free header from 5 yards out
  • LenGlover said:

Especially as being a striker, he's expected to have a better conversion rate than a battling midfielder
  • I was at Barnsley at home, but not the away game, I know we are traditionally pretty rubbish over Christmas time, and after Southend away over Christmas last Christmas, decided to give Barnsley and Coventry away a swerve, and leave that for my lads to do, I’m still recovering from the 5-0 defeat against West Ham about 500 years ago!

God I remember that. We were awful. But, if I remember right, Curbs changed it around and we went and thumped Man City away, it was live on the box... or am I mixing years/games up?

• Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

I disagree. Grant's came at him waist high on his 'wrong' foot. Pratley had a free header in an unmarked position. I accept he deserves credit for losing his marker to be in an unmarked position.
    Entitled to your opinion but Grant's job is mainly to put the ball in the net (which he has done and deserves enormous credit for this season) but that was a sitter.

At the time I thought the deflection made it slightly more difficult and it came at him quick, but after watching the highlights I was really disappointed.
  • after looking at the match stats I was wondering what changed so much at half time? Someone mentioned the 'hair drier' treatment on a thread - astute tactics and team talk etc by the Boss?
  • after looking at the match stats I was wondering what changed so much at half time? Someone mentioned the 'hair drier' treatment on a thread - astute tactics and team talk etc by the Boss?

We remembered that we were actually allowed to pass the ball forwards ;-)