Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Volunteering for DofE

My 13 year old son is beginning his Duke of Edinburgh award at school and part of it is to do some volunteering. However we're finding it difficult to find places he can do this due to his age. Anybody involved with a charity or organisation that might need some help and willing for a 13 year old to do it? I would accompany him too. Or does anyone have any experience with the DofE and good places to look? His school haven't given us any leads.

Comments

• We found that volunteering with a local Parkrun was very good, My son did every task right up to race director.

They are very helpful and very friendly
  • Think the age maybe a problem. I work for Hertfordshire libraries, we take loads of DofE students, but they have to be 14.You could try your local library, different authorities may have different rules?
  • If in Greenwich try GAVS Metro in Woolwich for Voluntry organisations.

• As stated, Parkrun is perfect for this. From what I’ve seen at the Greenwich one in Avery Hill Park, they do a range of roles including race director and some also get to give ore race briefings. They are treated well and their volunteering gets highlighted.
  • Thanks will look into Park Run.
  • I worked in Oxfam for a few weeks. I wasn't old enough to use the tills, but could price and sort clothes and stock the shelves etc. My grandparents worked there, not so sure how easy it would be to get work, but worth asking at a few charity shops. I really enjoyed it.
  • I'd have thought the local DofE coordinator should be aware of appropriate opportunities in their area. Ask them.
  • If he plays football can he help coach for his team? That's what my lad is doing.
  • Grandson volunteered to do jobs at the local church, just a few minutes' walk from his house.

Weeded the path from the lychgate to the main door, helped polish the silver, delivered Parish magazines locally etc.

Family doesn't attend the church but his volunteering was most welcome.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have our scouts doing DofE while going through scouts or explorers. We arrange for them to volunteer at some of our other meetings for younger children involving beavers it cubs, obviously with a group leader and other adult helpers.
  • If he plays football can he help coach for his team? That's what my lad is doing.

He plays rugby so was looking at something like that locally.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • The Scout Movement. We have D of E- ers helping out at Cubs and Beavers.
  • Hi. We (Charlton Athletic Community Trust) can offer young people the chance to take part in DofE (at Bronze, Silver or Gold level) through Young Greenwich, the youth service we deliver on behalf of the Royal Borough of Greenwich (RBG). If your son lives or studies in RBG, please feel free to email Patricia.Holczimmer@cact.org.uk about him doing it.
  • CAFCTrust said:

Hi. We (Charlton Athletic Community Trust) can offer young people the chance to take part in DofE (at Bronze, Silver or Gold level) through Young Greenwich, the youth service we deliver on behalf of the Royal Borough of Greenwich (RBG). If your son lives or studies in RBG, please feel free to email Patricia.Holczimmer@cact.org.uk about him doing it.

Many thanks, my son does go to a school in RBG so will send an email. He’s doing the award through his school but needs to find his own volunteering part to complete.
  • @Nug
    If his camping and hiking is to take place on Dartmoor let me know. My mate is an instructor there.
  • @Nug
    If his camping and hiking is to take place on Dartmoor let me know. My mate is an instructor there.

Okay mate, I think it's Meopham but not sure.