Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

Comments

• Sounds like a fair result.

Sadly I wasn't there today as I'm boycotting the new Aussie owners I've got a terrible cold man flu bug and went back to bed for a few hours!

Sorted that for you mate. :wink:
  • Superb performance , bar the first 15 mins
  • We started badly against Barnsley, like a house on fire against Walsall, and then badly again vs Sunderland. Bit strange really how we can be so inconsistent.
  • Wasn't there but noticed on Sky at end of match KAG was limping badly, hopefully just knackered ...
  • Pratley and KAG's misses were awful. Both cost us 3 points.

And please do not allow KAG to take free kicks with chances to score. He was hopeless against Walsall and today's was no better. Getting too Billy Big Bollxx IMHO

Pratley, Grant and Taylor should all have won it for us but in the end we were lucky their bloke went over the bar with an easy chance. Fun, entertaining game. Draw probably the right result
  • Why would anyone have taken a point before the game??

Sunderland are up there but not pulling up trees.

I'd have taken a point at ht but I was livid with our display, especially the full backs, they did play better 2nd half and made up for a very negative aimless display in 1st half.

The rest of the side were shocking 1st half.

Point fair result?? Nah, not for me as we were shit 1st half but Sunderland weren't much kop either. Times wasting from 5th minute to the 94th min

We deserved points for 2nd half display.
  • Anal fact of the day:

The 1-1 score today was our first League draw since Gobby scored the equaliser against us on October 23.

That was a run of 13 games without a draw.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    stonemuse said:

Bowyer seems to do a good halftime talk.

After a chair across a counter allegedly a few tea cups up the wall is nothing. :wink:
  • Great game.

Didn't think Sunderland were that special. Although they dominated the first half, they were largely ineffective with the ball in deeper positions, and just looked to hit quickly on the break. They went for Dijksteel and switched the ball about quite nicely, but once Charlton got a bit more confident they were largely in control and should have won it. Bowyer no doubt told them to be more bullish at half time and it worked. Great commitment from all of them.

Morgan was a stand out performer today and Jonny Williams a promising cameo.

Sunderland are up there but not pulling up trees.

I'd have taken a point at ht but I was livid with our display, especially the full backs, they did play better 2nd half and made up for a very negative aimless display in 1st half.

The rest of the side were shocking 1st half.

Point fair result?? Nah, not for me as we were shit 1st half but Sunderland weren't much kop either. Times wasting from 5th minute to the 94th min

We deserved points for 2nd half display.

***edit Morgan, Sarr, Bayer, the exception from 1st half comment.
  • Awful first half, we were being torn a new one down our right and Djksteel was terrible (admittedly with no help)

Totally different side in the 2nd half and we should’ve gone on to win it.

Taylor quality bit Belik is an absolute beast, what a player at only 21

Just about a fair result when I reflect and watch the highlights later on.

Crowd were superb and the ground was noticeably much busier than normal, NU felt pretty full and Lower a lot busier....good day all round

This. I never go into a home match thinking I'll take a point. Especially when we're one of the top teams in a division.
  • Oggy Red said:

Anal fact of the day:

The 1-1 score today was our first League draw since Gobby scored the equaliser against us on October 23.

That was a run of 13 games without a draw.

I do love a good anal fact
  • Loved that, even tho we drew. That second half was relentless. Great game of football. Shout out to Sarr he was Motm, so calm on the ball and composed. Pratley needs to be dropped he is to similar to beilek and the former is much better.

Djksteel was class too loved the roulette he done.

Phillips is a big worry. Didn't look comfortable at all.

This. I never go into a home match thinking I'll take a point. Especially when we're one of the top teams in a division.
    Lee Bowyer thinks exactly the same.

We never set our stall out to play for a point, do we?

• Sponsored links:

• Has to be thought of as two points dropped.
  • Oggy Red said:

Why would anyone have taken a point before the game??

Lee Bowyer thinks exactly the same.

We never set our stall out to play for a point, do we?

Set out to play for 0pts 1st half, last season I'd have expected that display every game.

This season, no, were better than all that fannying about passing backwards and losing possession.
  • edited January 2019
    As has been said game of two halves!

Dijksteel and Pratley awful first half, Dijksteel improved in second.

Great second half, could and probably should have won in the end, thought Morgan had a decent game and shouldn't have been subbed.
  • Sunderland should've been out of sight by half time even though from 35 minutes we were the better side.

Grant and Taylor are excellent but both couldn't find the net today.
    Albie Morgan gave so much energy to the side and looks like another coming through.
    Dijksteel's a worry but did have a barnstorming 2nd half.
    With our reserve midfield we did well to come back, shows a great spirit.

Great to see the crowd roar the boys on.
    A draw and no injuries, I would have taken that after 2 minutes.
  • Excellent second half - Taylor was superb. Sarr and Bauer were very composed today.

Unlucky not to win after struggling early on.
  • Got to laugh that we got money for Magennis and Taylor on a free !
    He was superb today.
  • Better 2nd Half, 1-1 fair results, Love you Lyle Taylor!
  • Got to be happy with that. Didn't see the game but my eldest was there and he reckons we could have nicked it.

Takeover, healthy funds for Bowyer in this window, and we've got a chance of an outright, although going into the playoffs on a roll and as the strongest side would be a reasonable outcome from here.

I'm not considering a 'no takeover' scenario - that's way too depressing.
  • What was in the tea at half time? The same 11 came out second half and just poured into a Sunderland side who had been ridiculously superior in the first 45.

A midfield which had looked very short of punch - obviously missing key players - came out and played the manager’s game pressing and getting the front two into the game. Once their Yank Gooch went off (outstanding in the first half) I really thought we could go on for three points. Shame two good changes went begging. Great work by Bowyer today. Special mentions for Sarr, Bielik and Taylor.
  • edited January 2019
    Both teams today sponsored by Betdaq.

Seems weird to see it on both teams' shirts.