Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips

Declan Rudd- never rated him
Ben Amos- "the man mountain" as robbo calls him
Amos doesn't fill me with confidence at all never seems to command the area and seems to drop quite a lot.

Anyone think Phillips should be given a chance only way he'll get experience is playing surely

Comments

• Don't think Amos is playing badly. His kicking is a bit unreliable but no reason to drop him imo.
  • He did drop the ball virtually on his goal line a couple of times today....
  • Probably be playing in the Premier League in a couple of years
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again. Because Roland won't spend properly on keepers and gets by with loans, Philips will end up stuck on the bench forever. The club won't get a keeper on loan then drop him. It's costing money and the parent club will get the hump. Skinflint Roland is hindering Phillips's development. The old miser doesn't care about bringing on and improving young players - just how much he can sell them for.
  • Nearly lost him in the transfer window
  • Missed It said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Because Roland won't spend properly on keepers and gets by with loans, Philips will end up stuck on the bench forever. The club won't get a keeper on loan then drop him. It's costing money and the parent club will get the hump. Skinflint Roland is hindering Phillips's development. The old miser doesn't care about bringing on and improving young players - just how much he can sell them for.

This is probably spot on. Loanees can become bulletproof if the terms of the loan state they are first choice when fit. We pissed off at least one parent club by dropping the player. I forget who now.
  • Another dillon Philips thread...
  • Amos has his faults .. at this point he is still a better keeper than Phillips .. Henderson is sitting on the bench at Forest .. I am not usually in favour of resigning one time 'heroes' but in Henderson's case I would make an exception, he's the best keeper we have had over the past 5 or 6 seasons
  • edited September 2017

Amos has his faults .. at this point he is still a better keeper than Phillips .. Henderson is sitting on the bench at Forest .. I am not usually in favour of resigning one time 'heroes' but in Henderson's case I would make an exception, he's the best keeper we have had over the past 5 or 6 seasons

There is no way that Henderson would come back. I don't think he would and there's no way Katrien would have him back.
  • Amos has his faults .. at this point he is still a better keeper than Phillips .. Henderson is sitting on the bench at Forest .. I am not usually in favour of resigning one time 'heroes' but in Henderson's case I would make an exception, he's the best keeper we have had over the past 5 or 6 seasons

There is no way that Henderson would come back. I don't think he would and there's no way Katrien would have him back.
    agreed .. I was indulging in 'what if' and wishful thinking
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Big game tomorrow, hope Dillon plays a blinder, and gets,huge backing from the charlton fans.

Listening to the Charlton Life podcast, you,can tell the frustration in his voice that he hasn’t been playing.

I really hope,he can turn that into a positive for himself and the team.
  • edited January 2019
    He's never got stick from the Charlton fans. Hopefully he builds on last week. He let in a soft goal at his near post up at Sunderland on the opening day (from their first shot!)....hopefully he's at his best tomorrow. We'll need him to be to win the game.
  • He's never got stick from the Charlton fans. Hopefully he builds on last week. He let in a soft goal at his near post up at Sunderland on the opening day (from their first shot!)....hopefully he's at his best tomorrow. We'll need him to be to win the game.

No other keeper we've had has ever let a 'soft' goal in - none of them ever made mistakes. The Sunderland goal will be referred to by some on here in about twenty years time.

Imagine if a keeper made a terrible mistake in a world cup final?
  • He's never got stick from the Charlton fans. Hopefully he builds on last week. He let in a soft goal at his near post up at Sunderland on the opening day (from their first shot!)....hopefully he's at his best tomorrow. We'll need him to be to win the game.

No other keeper we've had has ever let a 'soft' goal in - none of them ever made mistakes. The Sunderland goal will be referred to by some on here in about twenty years time.

Please tell me this is sarcasm in support of Dillon Phillips?
  • Saturday was the best I've seen him play, he didn't have a whole lot to do but he commanded his area better and was looking to release the ball earlier. I was a big big fan of Amos, and Dills was a clear step below him, but, decent as Steer has been, I think the difference was much smaller between those two, and if Dills has been listening to, and working on, what Bowyer wants from him, and is and determined as he is saying he is, then he should be very close to Steer's level or maybe even better.

He needs games now, and I'm pretty sure he's good enough to get those games here without it hurting our promotion ambitions, just as long as the second senior goalkeeper we bring in isn't automatically picked ahead of him. Bowyers says the shirt is his as long as he keeps playing well and I believe Bowyer.
  • edited January 2019
    I’m convinced we need to bring in a another goalie, why can’t we get an older fellow on his way down with bags of experience, that he can pass onto Dillon, almost like having another coach, maybe that Joe Fella @ Burnley :smiley:
  • I’m convinced we need to bring in a another goalie, why can’t we get an older fellow on his way down with bags of experience, that he can pass onto Dillon, almost like having another coach, maybe that Joe Fella @ Burnley :smiley:

What I said at the start of the season. Give Dillon the gloves and have an experienced older head as back up, someone he can learn from, someone who can step in in case of injury or bad form.

Obviously it is. The way some of our fans keep going on about the goal at Sunderland is laughable - it's hardly a particularly 'soft' goal.

Lloris gave away a goal in a World Cup final so presumably on that basis he's a bad keeper.

Phillips is a decent keeper who will get better with experience. I'm not sure why some of our fans are so focussed on finding fault with him. Having an experienced keeper as backup would help.

Obviously it is. The way some of our fans keep going on about the goal at Sunderland is laughable - it's hardly a particularly 'soft' goal.

Lloris gave away a goal in a World Cup final so presumably on that basis he's a bad keeper.

Phillips is a decent keeper who will get better with experience. I'm not sure why some of our fans are so focussed on finding fault with him. Having an experienced keeper as backup would help.
    Phew thank you - Is sometimes hard to tell on here as was having flashbacks of Yohann Thuram when you said no Charlton 'keeper has made a mistake

Phew thank you - Is sometimes hard to tell on here as was having flashbacks of Yohann Thuram when you said no Charlton 'keeper has made a mistake
    I remember watching Thuram warm up - never seen a goalkeeper like him. Seemed unable to catch the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

I remember watching Thuram warm up - never seen a goalkeeper like him. Seemed unable to catch the ball.
    And never want to see another one like him again, unless he’s playing for the opposition