Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

@Rob7Lee

I agree with you about the risk to P2P, but don't you think that one has about 3-6 months warning of that kind of general scenario?

As for your Premium Bonds, Ernie will always get you back down to 1.4% like the rest of us :-) Still as good as the best you can get from a bank for easy access. Still not enough to beat UK inflation...

Can you sell your P2P quickly though? All depends how much you have in there, but there is greater danger coming I feel.

Can get a fixed for 12 months just over 2% with Atom or the ones Bob has mentioned for instant access or shorter periods. I need to net those rates down though so not very good! Hence premium bonds aren’t awful, just a monthly disappointment when I open the App.

Oh for the days of 8% savings interest!!

If I cut my days next year (and salary :-( ) I might start paying into pension again for a while as will be tax efficient again if I can avoid the loss of personal allowance.

They will return.
    Can’t see it for quite some while yet, but no doubt they will at somepoint.
  • Sooooo. bear market, or buying opportunity?

Me, I'm mainly in cash as it is, more by luck than design, and have some small regular monthly automatic buys of (mainly defensive) funds set up. I'm basically expecting further falls, especially as a daft hard Brexit looks likely.

Meanwhile, I'm currently happy that I put some of my cash to good use in P2P. I keep a close eye out for any signs of rising defaults, but so far I have seen no reason to get out.

It might be a bear market, but it is likely to be far from the bottom of the market.
  • I honestly think we could see the ftse at 6100/200 by late Feb.
  • Markets still jittery and relatively low, got my eldest to open a Stocks and Shares LISA today with Nutmeg, free 25% from the government so what's not to like... :smiley:

Put a bit in each of the new online providers general S&S accounts, Nutmeg, Wealthsimple and Wealthify, more for fun than making money to see how they perform against my own dealings.

Anyone buying Apple shares today/tomorrow? Might dip a toe in.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Markets still jittery and relatively low, got my eldest to open a Stocks and Shares LISA today with Nutmeg, free 25% from the government so what's not to like... :smiley:

Put a bit in each of the new online providers general S&S accounts, Nutmeg, Wealthsimple and Wealthify, more for fun than making money to see how they perform against my own dealings.

Out of interest, where are these new online providers investing your money ?? Seeing as you are comparing them agsinst your own dealings, are they simple default funds /portfolios ??
  • Rob7Lee said:

Markets still jittery and relatively low, got my eldest to open a Stocks and Shares LISA today with Nutmeg, free 25% from the government so what's not to like... :smiley:

Out of interest, where are these new online providers investing your money ?? Seeing as you are comparing them agsinst your own dealings, are they simple default funds /portfolios ??
    It's robots apparently! You answer a number of questions about risk appetite and they come up with a portfolio; I'd need to log in and find it all but it was a list of about 15 funds/ETF's and a % against each.

• Rob7Lee said:

Interesting (both topics). I don't buy individual shares but if I did I would treat Apple as a hold at best. Also, we both own Apple shares via funds, right? Allianz tech, but not just that one, I suspect.

I am an Apple fan, and believe it will never go the way of Nokia, but without Steve Jobs i am not sure it has the ability to develop game changers like the Pod/Phone/Pad. The other thing they are fighting is their products' reliability. I am still using my iPhone 6, and won't change it until it expires.

Nothing can keep on growing forever at that rate, not Apple nor the Chinese economy. That's my take anyway.

I read an interesting view from Mark Dampier of H-L that it's a good time to invest in dividend -paying funds, but rather surprisingly he didn't offer any specific examples.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

It's robots apparently! You answer a number of questions about risk appetite and they come up with a portfolio; I'd need to log in and find it all but it was a list of about 15 funds/ETF's and a % against each.

Moneyfarm does the same. Testing that out at the moment with very low deposits in an ISA and it's averaging about 2%. It was quite erratic initially though.
  • With HL or most platforms, it’s always a good time to think about investing or if things are rocky, don’t sell. Not having a pop at HL as I have my funds with them.
  • edited January 2019

Rob7Lee said:

Interesting (both topics). I don't buy individual shares but if I did I would treat Apple as a hold at best. Also, we both own Apple shares via funds, right? Allianz tech, but not just that one, I suspect.

I am an Apple fan, and believe it will never go the way of Nokia, but without Steve Jobs i am not sure it has the ability to develop game changers like the Pod/Phone/Pad. The other thing they are fighting is their products' reliability. I am still using my iPhone 6, and won't change it until it expires.

Nothing can keep on growing forever at that rate, not Apple nor the Chinese economy. That's my take anyway.

I read an interesting view from Mark Dampier of H-L that it's a good time to invest in dividend -paying funds, but rather surprisingly he didn't offer any specific examples.
    Apple were overpriced - I see this as a correction based on the reality of Chinese growth forecasts. I wouldn't touch them at the moment.

There are however some seriously undervalued shares out there - BAT being one of them. P/E Ratio of under 9, dividend yield 7%. Thankfully I sold my holding some months ago at £38 but bought back yesterday at £24.90.

Now watch them crash to £5!

Nothing wrong with holding individual shares as long as you seek out as much info as possible and, if not more importantly, set stop profit/loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• With HL or most platforms, it’s always a good time to think about investing or if things are rocky, don’t sell. Not having a pop at HL as I have my funds with them.

Oh sure, I try to read all that stuff through a filter, but I thought he made an interesting point about focusing on dividends, and perhaps not re-investing them for now.
  • Investing in dividend payers is a classic reaction in rocky times. You have to plan over the long term. I look to safety (not 40 any more) so 1/3 stocks/property/cash.
  • Investing in dividend payers is a classic reaction in rocky times. You have to plan over the long term. I look to safety (not 40 any more) so 1/3 stocks/property/cash.

Not sure I'd necessarily call Stocks and Property 'safety'.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Investing in dividend payers is a classic reaction in rocky times. You have to plan over the long term. I look to safety (not 40 any more) so 1/3 stocks/property/cash.

Agreed.

Depends on age of course but I'm an old git now so mostly in cash.
  • Apple lost almost the same market cap as the whole of bitcoin off its market cap.

Please tell me how crypto is like tulip bulbs
  • Depends on the timescales. I don’t hold things short term. 5-10 years more like it. Over the past year stocks down and property up.
  • edited January 2019
    bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Investing in dividend payers is a classic reaction in rocky times. You have to plan over the long term. I look to safety (not 40 any more) so 1/3 stocks/property/cash.

Agreed.

Can it all fit under the mattress, a super king one assumes :wink:

You've sent me 'BAT'ty by the way, bought some at £25.10 earlier so for sure they'll tank now! Have set a profit/loss figure of 10%.
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

You've sent me 'BAT'ty by the way, bought some at £25.10 earlier so for sure they'll tank now! Have set a profit/loss figure of 10%.
    £25.38 now - up 2.15% today :)
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

All buried at various points on my land.

Just got to remember where now!
  • bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

Bob, as a fellow, old git, may I ask this, when you say "cash", do you mean the regular retail accounts such as Marcus, where 1.5% is the max (and thus less than UK inflation) ? Reason I ask is that I saw a throwaway quote in the FT where a financial analyst referred to "getting 2.5% gain on money markets" and thought to myself, "really mate, how do the great unwashed get access to that kind of rate?" Any idea?

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

Bob, as a fellow, old git, may I ask this, when you say "cash", do you mean the regular retail accounts such as Marcus, where 1.5% is the max (and thus less than UK inflation) ? Reason I ask is that I saw a throwaway quote in the FT where a financial analyst referred to "getting 2.5% gain on money markets" and thought to myself, "really mate, how do the great unwashed get access to that kind of rate?" Any idea?

Significant proportion in cash ISAs - c1.4% which equates to 2.5% gross.

Some 3 year fixed deals paying around 2.5% gross plus some instant access/short notice paying around 1.85%.

And a big chunk in NS&I at 1% but avoids the FSC safety net limit of £85k.
  • Hello all. I've just started using Moneybox. Can anyone give me a layman's as to what to expect?

They charge £1 a month (first three months free) plus 0.45% of the value of my investments per year, accrued monthly by selling down my largest holding.

Is this good for someone who just wants to nurse a Stocks & Shares ISA and, well, put some money aside?
  • PaddyP17 said:

Hello all. I've just started using Moneybox. Can anyone give me a layman's as to what to expect?

They charge £1 a month (first three months free) plus 0.45% of the value of my investments per year, accrued monthly by selling down my largest holding.

Is this good for someone who just wants to nurse a Stocks & Shares ISA and, well, put some money aside?

Sounds expensive but depends what amount you have in there, there's probably a fund charge on top of that so you may be paying nearer 1%.

If anyone fancies a go on Nutmeg, sign up and deposit £500 + £100 a month and think I get £100 and you get no management fee for 6 months, whats not to like :smiley: .

https://nutmeg.mention-me.com/m/ol/gy5rb-31888888f2
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

Some 3 year fixed deals paying around 2.5% gross plus some instant access/short notice paying around 1.85%.

Bob, Cash ISA's - why not some of the better paying fixed rated one's? You should be able to get gross excess 4%. Shawbrook was paying 2.27% (5 year)
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

Bob, Cash ISA's - why not some of the better paying fixed rated one's? You should be able to get gross excess 4%. Shawbrook was paying 2.27% (5 year)
    Yes I do have some fixed rate ISA's between 3 and 5 year terms.
  • bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

Clearly I’m a market mover, £25.94! 3rd of the way to 10%.
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

Tobacco, chaps, tut, tut.

Yes I know, probably got some lurking in my funds.

• Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Agreed.

Or maybe I was ;-)

Glad my first share tip on here looks positive - better than my recent horses anyway!
  • PaddyP17 said:

Hello all. I've just started using Moneybox. Can anyone give me a layman's as to what to expect?

As I asked of Rob7Lee ........where is your money being invested ?? What funds/ asset mix ?? 1 fund (multi asset) or can you choose a mix of funds ??
  • @golfaddick see here for Nutmeg;

https://www.nutmeg.com/how-we-invest

As an example and sorry about the formatting, cut and paste;

Equities

United Kingdom24.7%
    iShares FTSE 10020.4%
    Vanguard FTSE 2504.3%
    North America31.1%
    iShares S&P 500 GBP-hedged14.8%
    db x-trackers MSCI USA9.8%
    iShares MSCI USA Small Cap4.7%
    UBS MSCI Canada GBP-hedged1.8%