Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

*Jonny Williams signs- 6 month deal*

Welcome Jonny, hopefully a good addition

Selected quotes:

Bowyer: “He’s a very good player. He’s good in possession, he’s clever, he works hard and he’s everything that I want from a midfield player. He can play in different positions, so he’s versatile as well.

"The end product, something we need to improve on in the final third, he has that. He has the cleverness to see those little passes, so I’m very, very happy."

Willliams: “I came to the [Walsall] game the other day and I thought the boys did really well. They are a good, talented bunch of players. I’m hopeful to add to that and I’m excited to work with them and hopefully get the club back into the Championship, which is the main aim.”

Comments

• Tunbridge Wells born and bred so alright with me in that respect.

If he can hit the level he was a few seasons ago we’ll have a great player. Just hope Palace haven’t given us another dud
  • 6 months is deemed as permanent in the modern game is it?
  • The above comment is half in jest.
  • edited January 2019

Interesting that's signed a permanent 6 month deal, rather than a loan. Maybe Bowyer didn't want to run out of loan spots

Another potential international callup too (replacing Ward)

Hasnt received a Welsh cap since 2017 unfortunately

But then barely played in 2018 so hopefully his International absense is just down to injury
  • Did we pay a fee?
  • Suppose it works out well for both parties being such a short permanent deal

- Less loan spaces taken up for Bowyer to bring others in
    - Gives Williams a chance to prove his worth and maybe get signed by a Championship club in the summer as imagine he's too good for League One
    - If we can get promoted with him then we can always sign him longer ourselves

And means we don't have to play him every game (which I think you now have to do with Palace loanees).
  • Sponsored links:

• Had an inkling it would be a permanent deal given his reluctance to go on loan to a rival in the past.

Good for both parties, short term so if he's a sick note he won't cost us too much, but equally if he's shit hot he puts himself on the market for a place in a higher division, as from what I have seen of him he should be playing Championship football, minimum
  • Racking up the strawberry blondes... Welcome Jonny
  • Didn't realise it was only a 6 month deal when I first read it. It's essentially a trial for both sides then; if he plays well enough and we don't go up he will have put himself in the shop window for a Championship club, if he's dreadful/crippled then we say goodbye. Another other combination of events could see us keep him. I'm a little disappointed it's such a short deal, but it explains how it's possible given Roland's refusal to invest.

Gallen said specifically he's a replacement for Ward, so in terms of squad size we're back to where we were in December. Still need more in to bolster the squad.

We're minus one senior goalkeeper. Can't really count AMB.
  • should be a good addition if he gets up to match fitness. hopefully he isn't too lightweight for this division.
  • Didn't realise it was only a 6 month deal when I first read it. It's essentially a trial for both sides then; if he plays well enough and we don't go up he will have put himself in the shop window for a Championship club, if he's dreadful/crippled then we say goodbye. Another other combination of events could see us keep him. I'm a little disappointed it's such a short deal, but it explains how it's possible given Roland's refusal to invest.

Gallen said specifically he's a replacement for Ward, so in terms of squad size we're back to where we were in December. Still need more in to bolster the squad.

True, completely forgot about him. Not an ideal position to be in given the squad wasn't massive to start with but can't do anything about loans ending or being terminated. I imagine we'll get in a loan to cover Steer's absence and then that potentially leaves another two loans for the matchday squad if we can afford them
  • Sponsored links:

• Hate to say it but reading the comments from the Palarse fans he seems a genuinely nice bloke as well

Certainly be a good addition if so as hopefully wont be one of these who strolls in thinking they're too good for our level or just here for the wages

True, completely forgot about him. Not an ideal position to be in given the squad wasn't massive to start with but can't do anything about loans ending or being terminated. I imagine we'll get in a loan to cover Steer's absence and then that potentially leaves another two loans for the matchday squad if we can afford them
    Yeah i think if we get in a keeper, left back and a winger then along with Williams signing and Clarke returning we've had a decent January.
    Do we really need a winger with Bowyer playing the diamond formation?

If anything has been proven these last three games its that we need backup for Joe Aribo; i.e. a proper engine of a midfielder
  • I know he's come from Palace but looking on wiki he's only played 6 times for them since 2014, so he pretty much left them years ago.

Yeah i think if we get in a keeper, left back and a winger then along with Williams signing and Clarke returning we've had a decent January.
    Do we really need a winger with Bowyer playing the diamond formation?

If anything has been proven these last three games its that we need backup for Joe Aribo; i.e. a proper engine of a midfielder
    Very true, but i was thinking more in terms of squad balance and if Bowyer wanted to change things so we don't end up like a predictable Robinson side.
  • Just how injury prone is he though?