Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I'll meet you on the dark side of the moon

Comments

• And that so are you
  • They were ahead of their time. I hope the robot had a tape loop playing that last track when it landed.
  • The dark side of the moon gets as much sunlight as the other side - it is just we never see it!
  • It's not the dark side of the moon; it's the far side of the moon. But I assume everyone knows that.
  • When your cultural reference goes right over
    some people's head.
  • edited January 2019

When your cultural reference goes right over
    some people's head.

You're mistaken (again) if you think that. The number of times the conflation of that album and the Chinese landing point has been made on various media for days has made it a dull "pun".

But the achievement should be lauded: Russia won the "space race" against the USA in the last century; so it's fascinating to see China trouncing India this time round.

What next, I wonder.
  • Chizz said:

It's not the dark side of the moon; it's the far side of the moon. But I assume everyone knows that.

some people's head.

You're mistaken (again) if you think that. The number of times the conflation of that album and the Chinese landing point has been made on various media for days has made it a dull "pun".

But the achievement should be lauded: Russia won the "space race" against the USA in the last century; so it's fascinating to see China trouncing India this time round.

What next, I wonder.
    Yes, Gagarin was ‘officially’ the first man in space.
    Now, I’m not a great one for conspiracy theories but it’s widely thought that the Ruskies had tried on more than one occasion to get a manned flight into space but failed, resulting in the death of an unknown number of astronauts.They simply kept on trying until they succeeded, irrespective of the loss of life.....so little wonder they won the race, they were simply prepared to continue failing until they ‘struck lucky’ whereas the Yanks were of course ‘hampered’ by their ethical respect for life.
    I don’t say I necessarily believe it but I certainly don’t discount it either.

• Chizz said:

It's not the dark side of the moon; it's the far side of the moon. But I assume everyone knows that.

some people's head.

What next, I wonder.
    Now, I’m not a great one for conspiracy theories but it’s widely thought that the Ruskies had tried on more than one occasion to get a manned flight into space but failed, resulting in the death of an unknown number of astronauts.They simply kept on trying until they succeeded, irrespective of the loss of life.....so little wonder they won the race, they were simply prepared to continue failing until they ‘struck lucky’ whereas the Yanks were of course ‘hampered’ by their ethical respect for life.

The Russians launched the first satellite (Sputnik 1) and the first human in orbit (Gagarin). Where they filed was with their (unmanned) lunar probes, all but one of which failed on take-off, the remaining one missed the moon.

My favourite conspiracy theory between the Soviets and the Americans is the story of how they both solved the problem of writing in low gravity. The Americans (it was said) spent years and millions of dollars developing, manufacturing, testing, refining and patenting sealed ball-point pens which were designed to produce a continuous flow of ink within the chamber to the ball-point, and thus able to write without the help of gravity. The Russians just used pencils.
  • Really exciting development for astronomy geeks like me. The possibilities of having installations and equipment on the far side of the moon, away from all the radio waves emitted from earth gives us a fantastic opportunity to delve deeper into space.

I think what’s happening in astronomy now and physics in general is placing us very, very close to understanding some massive things about the very beginning of time and the laws that govern us. I think it’s the only thing I would maybe say I’m gutted about not being 25 years about. The things that future generations could witness could be mind blowing. Having said that, the potential hazards and threats future generations could have to deal with could be catastrophic
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

some people's head.

What next, I wonder.

The Russians launched the first satellite (Sputnik 1) and the first human in orbit (Gagarin). Where they filed was with their (unmanned) lunar probes, all but one of which failed on take-off, the remaining one missed the moon.

My favourite conspiracy theory between the Soviets and the Americans is the story of how they both solved the problem of writing in low gravity. The Americans (it was said) spent years and millions of dollars developing, manufacturing, testing, refining and patenting sealed ball-point pens which were designed to produce a continuous flow of ink within the chamber to the ball-point, and thus able to write without the help of gravity. The Russians just used pencils.
    It’s amazing how these conspiracies are repeated so often that they then become repeated as fact be some, like the ball point pen one.
    I work with a guy who is totally obsessed with conspiracies be it space, bombing, drugs, money, you name it he has a conspiracy theory for each. Space being his forte. Apparently most of NASA’s space exploration is fake. I try not to strike up conversations with him, he talks for literally hours without drawing breath.
  • Sponsored links:

• The US didn’t put a man on the moon all done with clever camera angles and wires and stuff
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

some people's head.

What next, I wonder.

Except is wasn't NASA that developed the space pen is was a private company. As soon as they were available commercially the Russians bought them because pencils aren't actually a good solution - the graphite dust is really hard to control and is potentially dangerous.
  • Pointless.
  • Chizz said:

some people's head.

What next, I wonder.
    A CL attempt to land on the Moon 🌑?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

some people's head.

What next, I wonder.

It’s amazing how these conspiracies are repeated so often that they then become repeated as fact be some, like the ball point pen one.
    I work with a guy who is totally obsessed with conspiracies be it space, bombing, drugs, money, you name it he has a conspiracy theory for each. Space being his forte. Apparently most of NASA’s space exploration is fake. I try not to strike up conversations with him, he talks for literally hours without drawing breath.
    Perhaps point the fecker in the direction of our CL political threads. He can talk with all the Bells there!
  • Riviera said:

Pointless.

Not challenging you here mate but genuinely interested to understand why you think it’s pointless?
  • Ooh a challenge.
  • cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Not challenging you here mate but genuinely interested to understand why you think it’s pointless?
    No problem but what is the point of going the moon? Near or far side. There is nothing there.
  • Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

No problem but what is the point of going the moon? Near or far side. There is nothing there.
    Oh right. I thought you were talking about the Russian space pencils...
  • Stig said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

some people's head.

What next, I wonder.

Except is wasn't NASA that developed the space pen is was a private company. As soon as they were available commercially the Russians bought them because pencils aren't actually a good solution - the graphite dust is really hard to control and is potentially dangerous.
    I guess you've very cleverly demonstrated the issue with conspiracy theories by picking me up on my use of the word "NASA".

By singling out that one word and carefully explaining how wrong I am to have used it and by detailing how, by contrast, it was a private company who developed the space pen, you've shone a light on the process around conspiracies and how they develop, evolve and morph.

Because, if you go back and look at what I wrote, you'll see I didn't mention NASA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn’t NASA create the space pencil?
  • Chizz 1 - 0 Stig
  • Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Yeah. Like Everest. And the poles. And the oceans. And Australia.

Why did we ever bother?
  • How do you know there is nothing there unless you have been to check it out?

Take it from someone who's there.
    There's nothing there...
  • Chizz said:

Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Why did we ever bother?
    There's cricket in Australia you fool.

I saw the photos.
  • Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Why did we ever bother?
    Depends who you ask...
  • Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Why did we ever bother?
    There wasn't, before we explored and colonized. Maybe one day we will have moon cricket.
  • Riviera said:

How do you know there is nothing there unless you have been to check it out?

I saw the photos.
    Yeah, here it is, see? Naaada. ..!