Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List - 1 January 2019

edited January 2019 in General Charlton
Copyright Charlton Life

Thanks to @Scoham for checking details. All errors down to Roland and Karl Robinson

All contracts end of June of the year stated unless otherwise indicated.

Positions are subjective and based on most likely or most commonly played position.

U23s playing or on the bench for the first team have been included in the latter.

* indicates currently injured players

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

Dillon Philips 2019
Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2019 plus 1 year option

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020
Anfernee Dijksteel 2020

Centre Backs

Patrick Bauer 2019
Jason Pearce* 2020
Naby Sarr 2020
Krystian Bielik - On season long loan from Arsenal

Left Backs

Lewis Page* 2020
Toby Stevenson Contract length not known

Central Midfielders

Joe Aribo* 2019
Jake Forster-Caskey* 2019
Darren Pratley 2020
George Lapslie 2019
Albie Morgan Contract length not known
Josh Cullen* - On season long loan from West Ham Utd

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers

Mark Marshall 2019
Tariqe Fosu 2019
Ben Reeves 2019
Billy Clarke 2019

Strikers

Lyle Taylor 2020
Reeco Hackett-Fairchild 2019
Igor Vetokele* 2019
Nicky Ajose 2019
Karlan Grant 2019

U23 Development Squad

Goalkeepers

Joseph Osaghae U18 Contract length not known

Right Backs

Centre Backs

Daniel Bowry 2019
Kenneth Yao 2019
Jo Cummings 2019
Dan Birch Contract length not known

Left Backs

Jordan Zemura Contract length not known
Jamie Mascoll 2019

Central Midfielders

Taylor Maloney 2020
Ben Dempsey Contract length not known
Alfie Doughty Contract length not known
Luke Carey Contract length not known
Armando Quitirna Junior Contract length not known
Brendan Sarpong-Wredu Contract lenght not known

Strikers

Mikhail Kennedy expired end of December 2018 Current states not known - on loan to Chelmsford City
Josh Umerah 2019 - On season long loan to Boreham Wood
Terrique Anderson Contract length not known
Wilberforce Ocran Contract length not known

Comments

• edited January 2019
    We currently have 25 players in the first team squad

Four of these were considered U23s at the beginning of the season (Stevenson, Morgan, Lapslie, Maynard- Brewer)

Six of those are injured.

• I think Page signed an extension.
  • I think Page signed an extension.

He did, thanks @Covered_End_Lad
  • An awful lot of players in the last year of their contract.
  • Showing Patrick Bauer with an *. Did he get injured yesterday?
  • cafc-west said:

Showing Patrick Bauer with an *. Did he get injured yesterday?

Should have been Pearce.
  • Think Reeves may be crocked after yesterday too.
  • Not a promotion winning squad.

Not as it stands with many players injured and others' loans expired/recalled.

But surely the squad will be added to?

• An awful lot of players in the last year of their contract.

This shows further total mismanagement by Roland's crew. The thought that youngsters like Aribo, Grant and Lapslie are out of contract is criminal.
  • Sponsored links:

indeed, just goes to show what Bowyer and JJ have achieved so far this season. If i was a new owner first thing i would be doing is getting then signed up for another 2 years at least and show the players that Bowyer and JJ are being backed and they should follow suit and renew a contract with CAFC.
  • edited January 2019

Not a promotion winning squad.

indeed, just goes to show what Bowyer and JJ have achieved so far this season. If i was a new owner first thing i would be doing is getting then signed up for another 2 years at least and show the players that Bowyer and JJ are being backed and they should follow suit and renew a contract with CAFC.
    Yep an owner and support team with knowledge of the game that can sell the dream of a club on the way back which they can be a part of for years to come, is exactly what we need.
  • I wonder if our squad situation is quite common, with players only signing shorter term contracts now. With 2 years contracts, it only takes one season for the clock to start dangerously running down.
  • 2 year contracts are the agents' preferred term. Gives them a quicker chance of the next commission cheque.
  • 2 year contracts are the agents' preferred term. Gives them a quicker chance of the next commission cheque.

As a run-of-the-mill player, which let’s be honest most of ours are, I’d be looking for the longest guaranteed income regardless of what my agent fancied. I suspect this is more down to the club having been overly generous in the past and not wanting another Igor or Texiera situation.
  • Blimey, when you see that list, and all the players who are out of contract at the end of this season, you realise the team will be decimated should we not go up this year.

In fact, reminds me of what Curbs said after the 1998 play-offs that we had to go up that season, otherwise the squad would have been broken up.

If we do ever get new owners, I hope they will make a priority trying to tie down the likes of Grant, Aribo and Fosu.
  • edited January 2019
    One reason we have so many players whose contracts expire in 2019 is that when their contracts were agreed it was anticipated that we would have new owners by now who would probably want to bring in their own team manager/head coach. He in turn would probably want to bring in his own favoured players. (No-one could have anticipated the success of Bowyer). So the idea was that any new manager would inherit an uncluttered roster. New owners would not want to be hampered by having to pay wages to the previous regime's bad signings.

But what happened instead was:
    1) No club sale so no new manager/coach.
    2) Above average player recruitment and progression resulting in many players we would be wise to retain.
  • One reason we have so many players whose contracts expire in 2019 is that when their contracts were agreed it was anticipated that we would have new owners by now who would probably want to bring in their own team manager/head coach. He in turn would probably want to bring in his own favoured players. (No-one could have anticipated the success of Bowyer). So the idea was that any new manager would inherit an uncluttered roster New owners would not want to be hampered by having to pay wages to the previous regimes bad signings.

That's what happened under the Spivs and Powell, with a number of players out of contract and leaving a few months later and Powell able to being in a new team that he wanted.
  • Many thanks to Henry and Scoham. A useful, if somewhat alarming, listing.

One small inconsistency - you have included Osaghae among the u23s and noted that he is an u18. You have not noted that Zemura and Sarpong-Wiredu are similarly u18s.
  • Many thanks to Henry and Scoham. A useful, if somewhat alarming, listing.

One small inconsistency - you have included Osaghae among the u23s and noted that he is an u18. You have not noted that Zemura and Sarpong-Wiredu are similarly u18s.

Thanks

Joe Osaghae appears to have stepped up to cover the absence of AMB although he is mainly an U18.

Zemura and BSW appear to be more regular U23/Develpoment players and are listed in the current handbook as such.

As we said some the choices are subjective. BSW has been on the first team bench for the last few games. Morgan started his first game for a long time yesterday. Are they U23s or 1st teamers?
  • Sponsored links:

• One reason we have so many players whose contracts expire in 2019 is that when their contracts were agreed it was anticipated that we would have new owners by now who would probably want to bring in their own team manager/head coach. He in turn would probably want to bring in his own favoured players. (No-one could have anticipated the success of Bowyer). So the idea was that any new manager would inherit an uncluttered roster New owners would not want to be hampered by having to pay wages to the previous regimes bad signings.

That's what happened under the Spivs and Powell, with a number of players out of contract and leaving a few months later and Powell able to being in a new team that he wanted.
    They tended to be older, more expensive players but the current situation is neglect, not good planning. The list includes, as Bowyer and Gallen have said, many of our "assets" such as Aribo.
  • edited January 2019

Many thanks to Henry and Scoham. A useful, if somewhat alarming, listing.

Zemura and Sarpong-Wiredu both signed pro, and are 19 (or will be this season).

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5afd85f9a03cc/charlton-announce-list-of-released-and-retained-players

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82236/brendan-sarpong-wiredu-signs-professional-terms-with-charlton
  • edited January 2019
    Not sure I like Arnie listed as RB or Yao as a CB. Surely it is their best position not the one where they having been filling in? Were Gomez and Killer FBs? Grant played most of his CAFC appearances as a winger, so he's a bloody prolific one.
  • edited January 2019

2 year contracts are the agents' preferred term. Gives them a quicker chance of the next commission cheque.

Does the player have no say in it ?? Seeing as players are often sold on a whim by new managers a new club could easily be around the corner anyway so I would have thought a longer term, more stabilising contract would be better than constantly having to think about moving clubs. Just because you have an agent doesn't mean you have to follow their (biased) advice. Someone like Taylor for example. Been.around the lower leagues all his career & joins us (who really should be in the Championship) but yet in 12 months time could be wondering what his next move could be. Also think of injuries. .Clarke for example has played just 17 games for us yet he could be off in the summer.......or worse out on his ear doing a Reeves in August looking for a club. Players need to do more thinking for themselves & not just relying on an agent who may not have their best interests at heart.
  • New owners, if we get them, need to get Bauer, Forster Caskey, Lapslie, Fosu and Grant signed up ASAP.

Would like to think JFC and Lapslie would be relatively simple, the other 3 could be very difficult to convince and would be big losses.
  • New owners, if we get them, need to get Bauer, Forster Caskey, Lapslie, Fosu and Grant signed up ASAP.

Would like to think JFC and Lapslie would be relatively simple, the other 3 could be very difficult to convince and would be big losses.

Most certainly add Aribo to that list. Losing him could be absolutely huge, another player we just have to keep.
  • edited January 2019
    That we haven’t signed up Aribo and Bauer for the next two to three years looks crazy to me
  • edited January 2019
    One view is that Charlton would probably need a better team than the majority of the current squad if we are promoted to the Championship in May and, therefore, the expiring contracts might not be such an issue ‘IF’ we make it. I dread losing Taylor and Bauer as I am not sure we are much of a threat without them. However, damn you Duchatelet for this total mess. In Bow we trust.
  • That we haven’t signed up Aribo and Bauer for the next two to three years looks crazy to me

Paying Bauer's wages for 3 seasons in league one looks crazy to me.
  • If we don't get a new owner our squad next season could be very weak.