Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall - Post Match Views

Comments

• 172 Walsall fans
  • Forgot the ten in the Valley gift shop.
  • edited January 2019
    Followed on ifollow and had @KillersBeard and co. Valley Pass commentary alongside it. I though the first 30 minutes we played some really exciting and fast flowing football and opened them up at will. Then last 15 minutes they got into the game and the second half was completely different, wasn't a surprise when they scored. We stopped playing and begun to sit back and give them a chance to come forward. Overall with such a young and inexperienced side on the park I thought we did well, but reinforcements are a MUST. If, as has been reported, potential new owners were watching, then we need them to buy us NOW and make the most of the transfer window.
    Happy with the win and 3 points but more bodies are needed.
  • Were the other ten were I haven't a clue
  • edited January 2019
    N01R4M said:

Couldn't put it better myself.
    We pulled off a win today, which is absolutely great, but there a bigger challenges to come and we need back up for the inevitable losses through injury/suspension.
    Whooshed myself. Move on.
  • Thought Albie Morgan had a blinder.

Fantastic block by Sarr,

Ref and Lino on the left both a joke. Awful decisions all game and no clue why goal 3 disallowed.

Stevenson also played well. Him and Morgan good prospects for next season when all our senior pros are out of contract and we are fighting to stay in League One :neutral:
  • Why did we take our foot of the gas when it went to 2-0? Did the same thing against Gillingham. Could’ve blown them away and killed it first half instead of having to spend the entire second half on the precipice.

Vital vital win. Concerned about that team for Saturday though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought the ref ruined it what an absolute tosser.

Great 3 points Dijksteel had a shocking game overall but I thought Stevenson did well. Solly in for Dijksteel against Sunderland for me.

Midfield were Good for 45 minutes but tired badly after the break.

• edited January 2019
    That was weird.

Brilliant first 30 minutes. When we're on the front foot Stevenson and Morgan looked very good technical players. Dijksteel looked tidy. Naby Sarr's ability to play our from the back would have been so helpful against Coventry and Barnsley. He is so good with the ball at his feet.

And then we seemed to take our foot off the gas and looked sloppy.

A soft goal from a punt, perhaps a little unlucky it goes through Bauer's legs but Phillips looked very slow to react. And we were largely hanging on from there.

Huge credit to Bauer, Bielik, and Sarr who kept getting in the way of things despite having fullbacks who were unreliable. For as frustrating as his decision making on the ball is at times, Fosu covers a lot of ground, wins it back, and his ball for the opener was brilliant. If we can just get him playing more one and two touch he'll show he's too good for this league.

Something to watch for: the goals Phillips conceded against Sunderland and Southend, both of which he was at fault for, involved him being slow to get down low to his left. It was the same today both for their goal as well as for the shot from distance that he awkwardly palmed with one hand in the first half. Caveat that both of today's came through legs and may involved him seeing it late. But I think it's something to look out for.
  • I didn’t think the team was that bad on paper. For me, on paper at least, Grant-Taylor-Fosu is one of the best front 3s in the league. Just a shame Fosu doesn’t play to his ability. Taylor was rightly furious he didn’t get played in towards the end when Fosu won a cheap free kick.

Stevenson looked good, one very dangerous delivery and not afraid to put a tackle in at the back.

Morgan did well first half but faded. No surprise when he was playing in the middle of that tight diamond.

Phillips distribution was very good. Steer was good but we have a solid replacement. Just no replacement for if/when Dillon suffers an injury.

Referee not great again. How is going backwards 20 yards an advantage...

Any time two of the other teams in the top 6 play each other it’s important we get a win, no matter how.

• Harder work than it needed to be. Inexperience showed a bit at times - the nouse of Marshall, Pratley, and, particularly, Taylor got us over the line.

Fosu is still struggling with his decision making. I’m never upset at attacking players trying things in the final third, but he just needs to take the simplest option a bit more often - we lost good opportunities because of him overplaying today. His pass for Grants goal was excellent though - similar to his assist for Reeves vs Gills - that needs to be the blueprint for him because he 100 % has it in him.

Midfield still looks lightweight and teams are figuring out that if you press us, especially with our best midfield missing, we can be got at. Coventry and Barnsley both did it successfully. Walsall tried today and it didn’t work out for them, but let’s not pretend this game couldn’t have easily gone another way today.

Personally think we need a tweak to the shape/system as teams are figuring us out. I’d like us to be using a 352 while we’re missing so many midfielders, I think we’d benefit from having the extra man in midfield and we do have the players to play that system.

Also, we played 442 vs Barnsley and got overrun in midfield.
    Yes because we had a poor 20 minutes, not necessarily because of numbers. I definitely do not want Dijksteel playing CB, looks dodgy to me
  • 1StevieG said:

3 is the magic number. Last 3 games finished 2-1.

Last 9 games we have played have been won by the team scoring two goals.

• Sponsored links:

• Reeves out injured again, must be made of glass 😏.
  • Harder work than it needed to be. Inexperience showed a bit at times - the nouse of Marshall, Pratley, and, particularly, Taylor got us over the line.

Fosu is still struggling with his decision making. I’m never upset at attacking players trying things in the final third, but he just needs to take the simplest option a bit more often - we lost good opportunities because of him overplaying today. His pass for Grants goal was excellent though - similar to his assist for Reeves vs Gills - that needs to be the blueprint for him because he 100 % has it in him.

Midfield still looks lightweight and teams are figuring out that if you press us, especially with our best midfield missing, we can be got at. Coventry and Barnsley both did it successfully. Walsall tried today and it didn’t work out for them, but let’s not pretend this game couldn’t have easily gone another way today.

Personally think we need a tweak to the shape/system as teams are figuring us out. I’d like us to be using a 352 while we’re missing so many midfielders, I think we’d benefit from having the extra man in midfield and we do have the players to play that system.

Also, we played 442 vs Barnsley and got overrun in midfield.
    Yes because we had a poor 20 minutes, not necessarily because of numbers. I definitely do not want Dijksteel playing CB, looks dodgy to me
    It was more like an hour, and thing got better when we ditched the 442.
  • Phillips played well today and Sarr was the standout defender. Taylor industrious as ever and Fosu needs to improve his end product.

Dijksteel had a poor game.
  • Made heavy weather of that, however going into the match, I would of settled for a tight scrappy win, so overall I'm delighted. It just gives us a few days to take a deep breath before we go into the lions den with Sunderland on Saturday.
    It was seemingly easy to begin with. We were Barnsley in disguise going 2-0 up early on. It was a lovely first goal with a great through ball by Fosu for Grant who finished well for his 12th goal of the season. It was a lovely ball in by Albie that led to the penalty. He didn't let us down at all today coming into this injury ravaged team.
    At 2-0, Charlton were playing some nice calm football but then slowly the tide started to change. Walsall got into a different gear following Naby Sarr's brilliant clearance off the line from Josh Gordon's volley. They followed this up with a deflected shot that Phillips saved well.
    We didn't take heed after the break as their goal poacher Andy Cook reduced the arrears. It had all seemed so easy, now it had all changed. Throughout the rest of the 2nd half, we couldn't regain that fluency we had when it was daylight. There was a failure to keep the ball and we seemed to go very deep.
    Nevertheless we survived and for now, that's all that matters.
  • Good win with another makeshift side, first half we were very good, 2nd half we were a bit ragged at times. Would be nice to get a 3rd goal, too many times we've been 2 nil up and then make it nervy for ourselves.
  • RedChaser said:

Reeves out injured again, must be made of glass 😏.

We should not have bought him in the first place, his history of injuries said we should have looked elsewhere.