Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall - Match Thread

Afternoon everyone and a happy New Year to all the match thread regulars.

It’s a nice mild day to start the year in South London and thanks to the usual South Eastern Bank Holiday nonsense, currently on a mystical South London bus tour to get to the sacred ground.

2018 didn’t end the way any of us would have liked. Here’s hoping 2019 commences in better fashion.

Stick the team news up when known please.

Up the Addicks!!

Comments

• Currently at Greenwich Market, thinking everyone would be too hungover to head out. Clearly everyone else thought the same thing
  • ...along with a whole load of vintage cars
  • Well this is going to be unique!!

Having car problems (need a replacement car battery) so gonna have to jump on my Private Jet to ensure I can watch the game via. iFollow.

Means that this'll just be the second game at the Valley I've ever seen on TV and the first in the League, unfortunately the only other occasion I've seen us at home on TV was when we lost 3-0 (?) to Brentford in the Football League Trophy which involved Mikel Alonso making his sole appearance in a Charlton shirt
  • I've missed two games with arthritic flare ups both of which ended 2-0 to us. Here's hoping for a third today.
  • Great to see Clark back on bench
  • Disappointed to not see Ward on the bench. Probably doesn't want to risk it getting a contract elsewhere
  • Goodness me. Similar to my prediction but would’ve had Marshall instead of Morgan. Out and out diamond however.

Great to have Clarke on the bench, but he isn’t physically ready?

Got some good options on the bench to come on and make a difference. Let’s hope for the best. Come on you reds!
  • The Addicks will line-up with Phillips in goal behind an expected back four of Anfernee Dijksteel, Patrick Bauer, Sarr and Stevenson. Krystian Bielik is expected to hold in midfield with Morgan and Ben Reeves in front of him and Tariqe Fosu behind the lethal strike partnership of Karlan Grant and Lyle Taylor.

Marshall and Darren Pratley drop to the bench and there is also a place on the bench for Billy Clarke for the first time in a league game for more than a year.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c2b713034d62/team-news-five-charlton-changes-for-new-years-day-clash-with-walsall
  • Sponsored links:

• Disappointed to not see Ward on the bench. Probably doesn't want to risk it getting a contract elsewhere

Didn’t Ward’s loan end today, so he probably has gone back to Forest and wasn’t able to play today anyway.

We desperately need players.
  • I mean at least Pratley isn’t playing.
  • Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Stevenson
    Bielik
    Reeves Morgan
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Worried about that midfield, I know Pratley had a crap game last time out but he offers physicality alongside Bielik. Fosu needs to have a good game today too
  • edited January 2019
    Sage said:

Disappointed to not see Ward on the bench. Probably doesn't want to risk it getting a contract elsewhere

Didn’t Ward’s loan end today, so he probably has gone back to Forest and wasn’t able to play today anyway.

We desperately need players.
    Oh I thought it was after today's match. Fair enough
  • No Pratley or Ajose which is a relief but dear oh dear we are down to the bare bones.
  • Surely things can't get any worse for us.
  • Looks like diamonds are forever again with Bielik at the base and Fossy up top.

I'd be quite happy to see:

A back three of BFG, Bielik, and the Enforcer with licence for one to push up to the half-back line as required; Iron Willy and Stevenson operating as wing-backs, Morgan in the centre of midfield with Reeves and Fossy hopefully providing a bit of creativity for Grant and Taylor.

It may not work but it's something to try out whilst we've still eleven fit players ...
  • Happy New Year @ross1, start 2019's match threads with a win please!
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy New Year @ross1, start 2019's match threads with a win please!

Happy to oblige and thank you
  • Still very feeling very lethargic but tuning in from Hanoi. Hopefully we can get a result today despite injuries and the last couple games. Be interesting to see how Albie Morgan gets on, haven't seen him in the side for a while.
  • From what I've seen of Albie Morgan he looks pretty accomplished. I really hope he can step up today.
  • LenGlover said:

Morgan impressed me earlier in the season. Let's hope he rises to the occasion again.

He might not be ready but at least he tries to get his foot on the ball and play. The closest player we have to Cullen.
  • Sage said:

Disappointed to not see Ward on the bench. Probably doesn't want to risk it getting a contract elsewhere

We desperately need experienced, quality players capable of getting us out of the purgatory of Division Three.
  • LenGlover said:

Morgan impressed me earlier in the season. Let's hope he rises to the occasion again.

He might not be ready but at least he tries to get his foot on the ball and play. The closest player we have to Cullen.
    Certainly better than most when it comes to set pieces
  • sam3110 said:

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Stevenson
    Bielik
    Reeves Morgan
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Worried about that midfield, I know Pratley had a crap game last time out but he offers physicality alongside Bielik. Fosu needs to have a good game today too

Our defence worries me
  • Nice to see young Toby finally getting a start
  • Nice to see young Toby finally getting a start

He started at Blackpool! But a home start yes
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!