Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletics 2019

Historically....how are we with the 9s at the end? How do we do? What have we achieved?

I'm pretty sure 2009 wasn't very good...

1999 was a good one. A very good one indeed.

1989 I have no idea. I was born just after that season started. I'm guessing LL was in charge and we may have been ground sharing. (Please accept my apologies for my terrible general historic factual knowledge regarding Charlton)

1949, 1959,1969,1979

Tell me the stories please.

I'm guessing 49 was a pretty good year...

I'm not willing to Google. Would rather hear from the horse's mouth.

Happy new year addicks

Stick with Charlton. Keep the dream alive.

We will be back :-)

Comments

• We got relegated in 1999, didn’t we?
  • se9addick said:

We got relegated in 1999, didn’t we?

Yes but we started that season in division 1 rather well...(I made a false statement)

I should have left that one out....Can't come back from this one...
  • edited January 2019
    We were relegated in 1998/98 (to Div 1) and in 2008/09 (to League 1)... only problem with this year/season ending in nine is that we are already in Div/Lg 1!

Not a great start to this thread!

Started playing at a new ground between Charlton Lane and Charlton Church Lane.
  • se9addick said:

We got relegated in 1999, didn’t we?

Yeah but we put on Prince and partied.
  • 1989. Still at Selhurst Park
  • 2009 parky was in charge right?

10 years ago....

What has happened to "time" and the dramatic rapid speed of it.

Win our first football league promotion from division three south.

Finish 3rd in the old first division.

3rd in the old 1st Division? That must have been our highest ever league finish?

Great to hear.

We was a good side during the II WW!!
  • 1979 was a disaster (well the 79/80 season anyway). Hardly won a game and were relegated to what is now League One, although we did bounce straight back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:

3rd in the old 1st Division? That must have been our highest ever league finish?

Great to hear.

We was a good side during the II WW!!
    We were runners-up in the league to Man City in 1936/7, our best ever finish.
  • edited January 2019
    Having been relegated from the top flight in 57 we never returned for 29 years until 86 under LL having skirted with the third tier for four seasons (72/73 to 74/75 and 80/81). Relegated from top tier 89/90, Callum has done the 99 &09 relegations.

I'll leave an older fart than me to fill in the 48/49 details of a ninth finish in the top flight but overall the post war pattern for a year ending in a 9 during my lifetime is not good mate 😒
  • 1988/89 Final “home” game of the season, we biffed Derby County 3-0 at Shithurst Park.
    Williams, Shirtliff and Andy Jones scoring, possibly all in the first half?
    I think this secured our highest finish of that top flight period of about 16th? And of course allowed us to get battered in our last away game of the season without actually caring...
  • Years ending in a 9 haven't been particularly kind to us. Even in 69, when we nearly got promoted back to the old Division 1, we just missed out to Palarse.
  • Years ending in a 9 haven't been particularly kind to us. Even in 69, when we nearly got promoted back to the old Division 1, we just missed out to Palarse.

That season 69 was bitter sweet because we had some great wins including the Mighty Derby County at the valley who finished champions but Palace nicked the runners up place and only 2 went up back in the day.
    Because of the lack of ambition by the owner that side lost momentum and got relegated to the third tier 3 seasons later.
  • Just seen that we did actually win Division 3 South in 1929, so perhaps there is some hope after all.
  • 1909 won the Woolwich league
  • 2009 relegated 1999 relegated (was the Prem though) 1989 survived in the top tier at Selhurst 1979 nearly relegated 3rd from bottom when two only went down 1969 Cup Run! Beat Palace at Selhurst after a replay and lost to Arsenal at Highbury. 1959 scored lots of goals but missed promotion. 1949 Boring mid table league one football because Seed had taken us as far as he could.
  • We won our first league game of 2019.

We lost our first league game of 2009, 1999 and 1989.
  • Would it be weird if the year 2020.

We had a home game on the 1st and 5th of January and won them both 2-0
  • Sponsored links:

• I was born on 1959 so that’s a good year :smile:

That season 69 was bitter sweet because we had some great wins including the Mighty Derby County at the valley who finished champions but Palace nicked the runners up place and only 2 went up back in the day.
    Because of the lack of ambition by the owner that side lost momentum and got relegated to the third tier 3 seasons later.
    Our last home game - on a balmy afternoon - was against Preston and we needed to win it. Missed two penalties and lost 1-0 but I think even if we had won Palace would still have gone up. A great season though.

• addick05 said:

Years ending in a 9 haven't been particularly kind to us. Even in 69, when we nearly got promoted back to the old Division 1, we just missed out to Palarse.

Our last home game - on a balmy afternoon - was against Preston and we needed to win it. Missed two penalties and lost 1-0 but I think even if we had won Palace would still have gone up. A great season though.

Indeed. Their goalie had an injured leg and could only dive one way - the same way that Bob Curtis always put his penalties! So he saved that one. Then Harry Gregory put the next one past the post the other way with the keeper nowhere! We went into that week needing to win our two last home games by a combined 8-0, and for Palace to lose their last three games. We won 4-0 on the Tuesday so the dream was on, but that Preston loss, and the nigels winning all three of their last games meant we missed out by six points in the end.
  • Charlton Athletics
    Charlton Athletics FC
    By far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.