Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall | New Years Day | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Walsall
New Years Day … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)

Introduction

So that’s it then; 2018 is done!!... Well almost… In less than 24-hours Addicks fans will be waking up to herald in the dawn of a new year, with it will bring new resolutions, hopes and dreams. The latter will certainly apply on the footballing field, our match tomorrow against Walsall is the third of four games over this manic period which has so far yielded no points from two difficult away games – Tomorrow you could say is a bit of a tiny break from the challenge we faced on Saturday yet need to be prepared as another is soon upon us!!

The Opposition
Name: Walsall | Manager: Dean Keates
Ground: Bescot Stadium

Of course when you look at our opponents on paper then its easy to think that Walsall are less of an opponent than Barnsley were on Saturday yet look at the result we faced on Boxing Day; Coventry were in the same position that Walsall find themselves in at present and recorded another win against us so there is nothing to say that three points (or even the one) will be an easy task tomorrow.

Especially as Walsall visit South East London buoyed by the fact they should have recorded an impressive win themselves on Saturday as they hosted second placed: Luton Town, only a 94th minute equaliser would see the points shared – Its certainly a sign that this is a division you’ll usually find the Saddlers in and despite our comfortable 2-0 win at the Bescot in November there is no forgone conclusion it’ll be that easy again

On a positive note; Walsall have just the single league win since the end of October, the Saddlers though have achieved something the Addicks havent this season (they beat Coventry 2-1)… Of course our destiny is in our own hands, we shouldn’t fear anyone or hope that they have their attention elsewhere but with a difficult January to come for Charlton, let us hope that Walsall are more interested in progressing in the FA Cup than they care about recording three points tomorrow, a very winnable match at Bolton Wanderers awaits, and who knows; Walsall might get their own big day out should they win that!!

Charlton Team News
If fans want to wonder at how we got out of this Division last time round then they should always look to the settled back five that Chris Powell had at his disposal over the course of that season – Straight away though we instantly know that there will changes amongst the Defence; Chris Solly will be the latest absentee, thankfully through suspension as he serves his one match ban; Naby Sarr will equally be returning after a nice Christmas break.

Unfortunately though that’s as good as it gets… Injuries continue to be brutal to us this season and Saturday saw Jason Pearce departing with problems whilst there is greater issue in goal – With Aston Villa losing their own ‘keeper to injury on the weekend, we must wait and see if Jed Steer has been recalled by his parent club, naturally Dillon Phillips will take his place but who goes on the bench to cover him, with young Australian: Ashley Maynard-Brewer on loan at Chelmsford we need to hope that we have no Goalkeeping crisis come 5pm tomorrow!!

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr | Stevenson
Pratley | Bielik | Reeves
Fosu
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Sarpong-Wiredu | Morgan | Marshall | Maloney | Hackett-Fairchild | Ajose

Prediction
With so many injured key players at the moment we can only hope that we get through the next few weeks either unscathed or with a few new additions – As a Charlton fan under the current regime the latter looks unlikely so whilst the big games against Sunderland and Peterborough may become unwinnable, its imperative that take maximum points in those games that are… Especially if we want to prolong our season into late May!!

Comments

• Couple of points

I've left out Steer as imagine we wont get told (like the Forster-Caskey case) if he has been recalled prior to the game tomorrow as if he has gone back then you'd HOPE its already happened so that it doesnt piss around with our game tomorrow - On another note is there a serious shortage of Football League Officials this season??? - Ross Joyce is taking charge of his third Charlton game tomorrow after being the ref for the Accrington and Burton games

Never known that to happen, i.e. past seasons you'd maybe get a referee for a second time come late in the season but not at the half-way point
  • While the absence of Solly is clearly a blow, especially if Pearce is out, it might not be a bad thing for him to have a rest. Indeed in happier circumstances you could imagine him being rotated for this match
  • Comfortable win 4-0.
  • Better Wal - sall !!

Hell I don't knowwww....

Better call F_ _ _ all

• A hard faught 2.1 victory to give everyone a new year boost.
  • We're better at home

3 - 1 Charlton
  • didn't do ref marks for Accrington but at Burton R.Joyce scored 5.11, with the ref average being 5.91
  • didn't do ref marks for Accrington but at Burton R.Joyce scored 5.11, with the ref average being 5.91

At Burton, both penalties he gave were soft.
  • Great preview as ever @ForeverAddickted. A happy and prosperous 2019 to you and your family and let's hope that next spring you'll be swatting up on Championship opposition.
    I'd be a lot happier to see Marshall at r/back with Dijk in the middle in place of Pratley, or even a back three of Bauer, Sarr and Bialek with Marshall and Stevenson on the flanks .. goalkeeper is a BIG worry for me but I won't keep on about it.
    Fosu, though inconsistent always gives us some go forward momentum, the problem a t m is getting the ball to him and to Grant and Taylor.
    If not a must win, this is an important game especially as we play Sunderland at the weekend and we need 'momentum' going into that one.
    I am not over confident but am quite sure that we'll get some bounce back after the last two losses and will win this, if only just

CAFC 2 v Walsall 1
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 to Charlton, Taylor with both and I'll let him shag the wife !

how tall is she ?
  • 1️⃣2️⃣ @SkyBetLeagueOne home games
    0️⃣8️⃣ home wins
    2️⃣0️⃣ home goals scored

Next up in SE7… @WFCOfficial

🎟️ Make sure you’re at The Valley to cheer on Lee Bowyer’s boys tomorrow afternoon 👇

But not too passionately though, we need him full of energy on Saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• Who’ll be skipper with no JJ , Pearce or Solly on the field :wink:
  • Lee Bowyer’s selection headache will have intensified at Barnsley on Saturday, with captain Jason Pearce picking up an ankle injury.

He joins Joe Aribo, George Lapslie, Jamie Ward, Josh Cullen, Igor Vetokele and Jake Forster-Caskey on the treatment table. Chris Solly is suspended after being sent off against The Tykes at the weekend but Naby Sarr returns from his three-match ban.

For Walsall, Joe Edwards is back following a serious knee injury but Josh Ginnelly will not be involved as he is soon expected to complete a transfer to Preston North End.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c2a095559801/match-preview-charlton-v-walsall

Pratley or Bauer?

Pratley if selected or Taylor would be my guess.

I believe Pearce, think he will be fit to play
  • I think Pearce will play too , and maybe Lapslie in for Pratley .
  • I think Lapslie has probably had too many head injuries in a short space of time and protocols will probably prevent him. Doubt Pearce will be available either.

Bauer
  • Steer back at Villa now confirmed sadly . Has improved in the last ten games and was outstanding at Pompey .
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!