Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Exercising with injuries

Just found out I have a hernia, but wanted to know can you still exercise whilst awaiting a operation

Comments

• Yes, but be careful ....... a hernia can become strangulated:
    https://www.hernia.org/types/strangulated-hernia/

BTW that's what happened to me 30 years ago.
    Had the repair done and went back to playing competitive football within a couple of months - and no reaction since.

• Depends on what sort of exercise.
    I wouldn't recommend lifting weights or anything putting too much stress/pressure on the lower abdomen.
  • edited December 2018
    Try cycling or swimming. Generally cycling is OK, but if it aggravates it, swimming is generally fine
  • Looking at this, it seems there are lots of different types of hernias. I'd suggest you check out exactly which one you have and speak to your doc about it.

Anyway, good luck with your op. Hope you don't have to wait too long.
  • Only went to see Doc on 27th so have to go for scan first and then wait for op, not expecting anything quick. Will probably stick to spin classes and rowing machine
  • Just found out I have a hernia, but wanted to know can you still exercise whilst awaiting a operation

I was born with an umbilical hernia and had no problems for 30+ years. How big is your hernia? I had no issues until I started doing heavier weights and lots of ab work.
  • I had an inguinal hernia for years and played competitive football mostly without issue. It did speed up the gravity process and help whatever was coming through drop into the top of my nut sack though.