Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surround sound issues.

Thought I would try and tap into the vast knowledge of my fellow Lifers to try and solve an issue I am having with my surround sound system.

I currently have a surround sound system powered by a Yamaha RXV677 amp. I have my Sky box and a Sony Blue Ray player connected to play through this.

I can view pictures and sound for the Sky box with no issues but when I watch DVDs via the Blue Ray player the sound and picture keeps dropping for a few seconds at a time during which the screen is blank.

Only had this problem for the last 18 months or so and thought it was the Blue Ray player so bought a new one but still having the problem. Also replaced HDMI cables with no luck.

Wondering if the amp is buggered or there are certain settings I can adjust to remedy the problem?

Any experts out there with any advice to share before I shell out on a new amp?

Cheers!

Comments

• Thought I would try and tap into the vast knowledge of my fellow Lifers to try and solve an issue I am having with my surround sound system.

I currently have a surround sound system powered by a Yamaha RXV677 amp. I have my Sky box and a Sony Blue Ray player connected to play through this.

I can view pictures and sound for the Sky box with no issues but when I watch DVDs via the Blue Ray player the sound and picture keeps dropping for a few seconds at a time during which the screen is blank.

Only had this problem for the last 18 months or so and thought it was the Blue Ray player so bought a new one but still having the problem. Also replaced HDMI cables with no luck.

Wondering if the amp is buggered or there are certain settings I can adjust to remedy the problem?

Any experts out there with any advice to share before I shell out on a new amp?

Cheers!

I don't know where you are, but i have a Onkyo amp sitting here doing feck all. You welcome to have it test your kit or keep it if you want it. Donation of your choice to my #RidetoAmsterdam ;)
  • I'd basically look at mixing things up...

Use the sky hdmi cable and sky amp output with the bluray player, do the same drop outs occur? Could be specific to the hdmi port output?

Are you using arc? Have you tried it with a normal dvd in bluray player (assuming you're using blurays). Is the amp firmware up to date?
  • Yet another thread passes me by.
    The joys of getting old.
  • Yet another thread passes me by.
    The joys of getting old.

Same as you mate, haven’t got a clue
  • Don’t use blue ray, waste of bandwidth
  • cafcpolo said:

I'd basically look at mixing things up...

Use the sky hdmi cable and sky amp output with the bluray player, do the same drop outs occur? Could be specific to the hdmi port output?

Are you using arc? Have you tried it with a normal dvd in bluray player (assuming you're using blurays). Is the amp firmware up to date?

WTF!!!!

• cafcpolo said:

This
  • Sadly yes, you get the feeling this will be amp related. It’s unlikely to have a setting for “intermittently fudge up my input on/off” so once you’ve ruled out all the other ports and cables as per the above it might be wise to start complementing @T_C_E ubiquitous lovely dog pics and see if he can sort you out?
  • You could also test by connecting Blu-ray directly to the tv and see if the issue occurs.

Another thing to think about is does the amp have plenty of “breathing space”? i.e Is there a big gap wherever the fans are to push out the hot air to prevent over heating? It’ll have to work harder when playing Blu-ray.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcpolo said:

You could also test by connecting Blu-ray directly to the tv and see if the issue occurs.

Another thing to think about is does the amp have plenty of “breathing space”? i.e Is there a big gap wherever the fans are to push out the hot air to prevent over heating? It’ll have to work harder when playing Blue movies.

• cafcpolo said:

Thanks for the advice.

I had tried the four other HDMI ports which all had the same issue but having used the one that the Sky box is hooked up to it appears to be working fine (so far!)!

Sky box working fine in the port that I had the Blue Ray player plugged in to.

All very strange!