Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England captain says he will not resign

Alastair Cook has said he won't be resigning as England captain. Bit of a theme in English sport this summer.

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/27997221

Comments

• I always thought he was the wrong guy for the job, but we don't really have any alternatives. Back to the wilderness we go.
  • Terrific batsman, his form has suffered as he has become lumbered with the captaincy that he could do without.

Unfortunately there are literally no other candidates for the captaincy within the current set-up.
  • It's a pubic schoolboys club. The likes of Strauss and Cook can get away with having awful results but if you aren't part of the "Club" you wont last five minutes.

I think Prior should have the job.
  • The captain's role always seems to be some sort of curse....
  • Cook is clearly struggling with his batting, and clearly needs to concentrate on that, especially as a team in transition is much harder to captain than one winning series after series

I can't think of any obvious replacements as Captain though.
  • Agree with above. Please NOT Broad!
  • It's a pubic schoolboys club. The likes of Strauss and Cook can get away with having awful results but if you aren't part of the "Club" you wont last five minutes.

I think Prior should have the job.

Michael Vaughan wasn't a private school boy (and, imo he ties with brearley as our best ever), Strauss was one of our most successful captains ever so your criticism is excessively harsh. Cook never got on with KP, which is why KP's mate Warne keeps slaughtering him over every mistake. Prior is hanging on to his test place, there are no nailed down places with the exception of Bell and Cook.

I think your criticism is more why aren't state schools playing more cricket? Lack of playing fields etc. If you wanted an old boy environment look at the england team in the 90's. Hussain and Fletcher changed the environment and the attitudes for the better. Teams are cyclical, look at after we won the 2005 ashes, the wheels started to come off and then the pietersen saga only for strauss to pick it up and do an incredible job.

Don't panic, continuity and consistency are needed, the england team should be a hard team to get into and a hard team to get out of.
  • We are going through a transformation but we need a captain who can chip in with some runs every now and again, who can make brave decisions during games and backs himself to be able to manage his best players, even if he doesn’t get on with them. Not too much to ask- but too much for Cook. The fact is- we are about to play India and there is no way Cook is going to survive that test so why not act now and give a new captain an opportunity to learn.
  • Gerrard?
  • We are going through a transformation but we need a captain who can chip in with some runs every now and again, who can make brave decisions during games and backs himself to be able to manage his best players, even if he doesn’t get on with them. Not too much to ask- but too much for Cook. The fact is- we are about to play India and there is no way Cook is going to survive that test so why not act now and give a new captain an opportunity to learn.

we haven't had a captain who's chipped in with runs for years and years and years. Maybe strauss did but his batting did still suffer. I think Cook has made some brave decisions in the last couple of tests (his field placings in the previous test were ultra aggressive, wouldn't see that in some sunday games!) but he hasn't got the rub of the green. KP was a talent but I still think it was the correct decision to drop him.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2014

We are going through a transformation but we need a captain who can chip in with some runs every now and again, who can make brave decisions during games and backs himself to be able to manage his best players, even if he doesn’t get on with them. Not too much to ask- but too much for Cook. The fact is- we are about to play India and there is no way Cook is going to survive that test so why not act now and give a new captain an opportunity to learn.

we haven't had a captain who's chipped in with runs for years and years and years. Maybe strauss did but his batting did still suffer. I think Cook has made some brave decisions in the last couple of tests (his field placings in the previous test were ultra aggressive, wouldn't see that in some sunday games!) but he hasn't got the rub of the green. KP was a talent but I still think it was the correct decision to drop him.
    Didn't KP do well with the bat when he was captain?
  • Knighthood in new years honours
  • Rightly so
  • Knighthood in new years honours

Been on holiday?