Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barnsley v Charlton | Sat 29 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Barnsley v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 29th December 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Bond (Lancashire)

Introduction

So that’s one down, three to go… Some people within the Sport may feel that the festive period is too congested with games yet for the purists its one of the greatest aspects of the English game – Yesterday saw the Addicks making the trip up to the Midlands for a clash with Coventry City, once again though saw us getting a dose of déjà vu, and just like at the Valley would see Coventry keeping the three points at the death!!

There is no time to dwell on the result though as Lee Bowyer and his men travel further north this Saturday; Yorkshire is the destination, and Charlton themselves will this time being looking for a repeat from earlier this season as they face the first of their promotion chasing opponents this period.

The Opposition
Name: Barnsley | Manager: Daniel Stendel
Ground: Oakwell

As things stand at the moment; October was never a great month for the Addicks as they would go on to record just the sole victory and so end the month trapped in mid-table – The one bright point in that dark month was the victory recorded over Barnsley; Karlan Grant would get a double that day and so consign the Tykes to just their second defeat of the season!!

Its been a poor couple of months since that defeat at the Valley for our opponents – Barnsley would instantly follow up that defeat with a second in a few days (losing 3-1 at Shrewsbury), as one of the strongest teams in the Division though they steadied the ship yet two further defeats against Sunderland and Wycombe have meant that they’ve dropped away from the automatic slots and even (briefly) dropped out of the Play-Offs… Undefeated in three games now though (which includes a draw with Portsmouth and win over Peterborough) means that a win on Saturday will see them leap frogging the Addicks back into fourth spot!!

Ensuring that doesn’t happen is going to be a tough ask for Lee Bowyer and his men… Undefeated at Oakwell this season; Barnsley have conceded just the seven goals at home and will look to keep their home a fortress for the rest of the season and so make an instant return to the Championship – They should beware though, they face a Manager this Saturday who seemingly knows how to get his players to rise to the challenge of the big teams!!

Charlton Team News
Injuries certainly feel like déjà vu for Lee Bowyer this season!!... Joe Aribo would be substituted against Gillingham last weekend and fan hopes that it would be a short lay off were quickly destroyed after the Coventry game yesterday; Bowyer would confirm that Charlton are a club that don’t do short lay offs and so Aribo will now be absent for the foreseeable future!!

It means that our Midfield is down to its bare bones and with Lapslie getting a second concussion yesterday it means he too will be unavailable again on the weekend – the one bonus is the potential return of loanee: Jamie Ward; Bowyer would stipulate after the Gillingham clash that he was close to a return so hopefully that will come this weekend to aid the Addicks in what’ll be a big match

Steer
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Solly
Reeves | Pratley | Bielik
Fosu
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Stevenson | Sarpong-Wiredu | Ward | Morgan | Marshall | Ajose

Prediction
This is gonna be a toughie... Make no bones about it!! – Thankfully it should be one of the last real tough games of the season as the majority of our promotion rivals (bar Peterborough) now have to visit the Valley – Three points may have been dropped yesterday but would certainly accept that if it means we can be the first to bring maximum back from Barnsley!!

Comments

• Your thread title almost gave me a heart attack - my trains booked for 29th!
  • IdleHans said:

Your thread title almost gave me a heart attack - my trains booked for 29th!

Pissing bastards sake!!!... thank you... Amended accordingly
  • Anyone know how/ when I can get my ticket for this match? I’ve already paid for match and coach ticket. Just popped by the ground and it’s all closed. Phoned the ticket office and had an automated message saying that the ticket office is closed and its opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9 till 5 (It’s Thursday morning!!!).
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • God knows, these are the games we pull out of the bag 2-1 away win
  • Anyone know how/ when I can get my ticket for this match? I’ve already paid for match and coach ticket. Just popped by the ground and it’s all closed. Phoned the ticket office and had an automated message saying that the ticket office is closed and its opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9 till 5 (It’s Thursday morning!!!).

Perhaps we have gone bust.
  • "@Addick in SW16

Anyone know how/ when I can get my ticket for this match? I’ve already paid for match and coach ticket. Just popped by the ground and it’s all closed. Phoned the ticket office and had an automated message saying that the ticket office is closed and its opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9 till 5 (It’s Thursday morning!!!).

Ground closed today (27th) but open tomorrow (Friday). Pop up to the museum if you are around.
  • Still optimistic that we can get something from this game. 1 - 1 draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• The return of the 2-0. Grant and Taylor.
  • Charlton being Charlton, I reckon they're going to surprise us after yesterday's performance, a late dramatic 1-0 to us , Taylor with the strike!
  • As I am nearly always wrong, I shall go for a 2-1 defeat
  • 3 1 away win
  • edited December 2018
    0-2 to LB's Red and White Army
  • "@Addick in SW16

Anyone know how/ when I can get my ticket for this match? I’ve already paid for match and coach ticket. Just popped by the ground and it’s all closed. Phoned the ticket office and had an automated message saying that the ticket office is closed and its opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9 till 5 (It’s Thursday morning!!!).

Ground closed today (27th) but open tomorrow (Friday). Pop up to the museum if you are around.
    Thanks! Probably will pop into the museum. When is it open and how do I gain entry (been a while since I’ve visited)?
  • "@Addick in SW16

Thanks! Probably will pop into the museum. When is it open and how do I gain entry (been a while since I’ve visited)?
    We're not really open but I'll be there tidying up from 10 to 4.

Use the buzzer by the entrance to the left of the big badge
  • "@Addick in SW16

In other words bring your dustpan and brush and feather duster :wink:
  • Festive misery to continue.

2-0 T'Barnsley
  • "@Addick in SW16

In other words bring your dustpan and brush and feather duster :wink:
    Screw drivers and plastic bin bags too. Throwing out a lot of old frames and junk
  • Sponsored links:

• "@Addick in SW16

Thanks Ben. Can also lend a hand if needed.
  • not sure what to expect from this after a very disappointing performance at Coventry .. we need a win, or a point at least, both to stymie Barnsley and to retain our play off spot .. The Tykes have been inconsistent of late but look to be in winning form over the past couple of weeks .. I'll be happy(ish) with a point although three would be the icing on the Christmas cake

Barnsley 1 v CAFC 1
  • Ward loan ending according to Rich Cawley.

Good.
    I don't care how good he is because he is hardly ever fit.
    Bring in somebody who can actually stay fit we have enough injuries without loanees who miss more games than they play.
  • I'll go optimistic. It's been said that we raise or lower our game according to the opposition.
    Additionally, if Coventry knew how to play us, Barnsley most certainly didn't at The Valley.
    Instead of closing us down, they let us play.
    Let's hope they do again. 1-1.
  • I'll go optimistic. It's been said that we raise or lower our game according to the opposition.
    Additionally, if Coventry knew how to play us, Barnsley most certainly didn't at The Valley.
    Instead of closing us down, they let us play.
    Let's hope they do again. 1-1.

That'll make a change for you mate, going optimistic.
  • We lost yesterday, it happens.

Our previous 8'ish games say we can get a result. Get my Wembley ticket Mrs Clb74.
  • Barnsley 9-0 Charlton

It was only until January 1st anyway, whether it is extended is another matter