Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC TV Licence

I've recieved an email stating im due a refund of £46. I pay by direct debit each month, so can't see why I'd be due a refund. A link asks for bank dets, name and date of birth. I'm thinking dodgy. Has anyone else received this?

Comments

• Dodgy as Fook.
  • I've recieved an email stating im due a refund of £46. I pay by direct debit each month, so can't see why I'd be due a refund. A link asks for bank dets, name and date of birth. I'm thinking dodgy. Has anyone else received this?

Christ mate, with the greatest respect you're not that naive are you?

It's a scam.
  • I've recieved an email stating im due a refund of £46. I pay by direct debit each month, so can't see why I'd be due a refund. A link asks for bank dets, name and date of birth. I'm thinking dodgy. Has anyone else received this?

It's a scam.
    No. Hence "dodgy" in thread. Plenty of people do fall for these sort of things though.
  • edited December 2018
    Absolutely dodgy, as you say. Thank you for sharing.

Trouble is, there are always people who will get caught out, whether through naivety, dementia, or simply having their mind on other things at the time - and some of those can be our nearest and dearest.

So it is always good to be alerted to the latest scams so we are in a position to spread the news to the vulnerable, and forewarn them.
  • edited December 2018
    What did the vulnerable do to you?
    Changing forearm to forewarn is a bit sneaky. ;-)

It's a scam.
    Not saying it’s your fault, still think you coulda done more.
  • I once got an email from HMRC - they owed me a small amount (c. £100). I have to give them credit, the site was the dog's bollocks - it was only the URL which gave it away.

Scum of the earth of every single last fucking one of them (not HMRC, who are fine upstanding people..)
  • edited December 2018

Well i got my £45 back. Bloody hard to find on my statement though with all these withdrawals...

You need to go back and get that extra quid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Licence.
  • Well i got my £45 back. Bloody hard to find on my statement though with all these withdrawals...

You need to go back and get that extra quid.
    Fuckers!
  • Just look at the email address it was sent from... easiest way to know if it's legit or not
  • Stig said:

What I just don't understand is how these scammers are allowed to get away with it. Why don't the banks insist that all transactions go to named accounts with verifiable owners and addresses? There should be a full audit trail from start to finish in all transactions. All transactions need to be made reversible. The banking industry really needs to sort itself out.

There is new system coming in next year for the majority of banks which will warn people if the name of a payee account does not match the account details provided, and in some cases will stop payments going through. I suspect it will be a nightmare to start with, particularly for businesses and the charity sector, but is probably a good idea in the long run.

Reversible transactions would be a terrible idea as it would remove all certainty that a payment had been made and would basically put a stop to anyone accepting bank transfers for anything.
  • Got a text today from the "DVLA" asking for me to contact them urgently. Clearly a scam. Most times, you can Google the contents of the messyans it will instantly flag up if it's being used as a scam
  • edited December 2018
    Of course it's a scam. When is the last time your government actually got smaller and reduced your taxes? LOL. It seems weird to us that you let your government "license" your own ability to see airwaves travelling in the air or by satellite, as if they own the air. I know they claim that it funds the BBC, but many other countries have plenty of news programs and nature channels and other such things without the government forcing the people to fund the bill by saying "you can't watch anything without our approval."
  • Also, hardly just a UK thing.

"The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago[3] notes that two-thirds of the countries in Europe and half of the countries in Asia and Africa use television licences to fund public television. TV licensing is rare in the Americas, largely being confined to French overseas departments and British Overseas Territories."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    44% is a majority now, good to know!

I also fall into your 'youth' category and although I don't live in the UK anymore, if I did, I'd have no problem paying the fee as it is a service that improves our global image, the BBC is revered around the world in a way no other TV company is. The fact that a British broadcaster ranks No1 is the states should tell you everything you need to know, the fact that we're not spammed with constant adverts is a lovely bonus.

Just because people are cancelling, doesn't automatically mean they don't agree with the fee, less and less people are watching TV in the same way anymore.

I'm still waiting to hear of this magical country that produces TV that's even remotely close to the standards set by the BBC, we're not just talking news, but documentaries, soaps, dramas, sports..... Come on Napa, how hard can it be.

Edit: You also might wanna have a better look at how the PBS is funded, no way is that better than our license system.
  • edited December 2018

Edit: You also might wanna have a better look at how the PBS is funded, no way is that better than our license system.

You know, you might wanna look into how much PBS costs taxpayers in the USA per year before you spout off.... its about £1 per person, per year. YOU may think such is "no way better" than your system, but for most rational people, it is. About 1,400%+ better. But hey, who is counting.

• 44% is a majority now, good to know!

Please show where I ever said 44% was "the majority."
  • 1)Which means 44% do NOT want to pay the fee and do NOT find BBC worth that fee.

2) but you are all a minority of opinion within your own country on this issue. Most people in your country do not agree with you.

Also not sure when giving an opinion became spouting off, but it seems reasoned debate is beyond you, so I'm out.

• Edit: You also might wanna have a better look at how the PBS is funded, no way is that better than our license system.

You know, you might wanna look into how much PBS costs taxpayers in the USA per year before you spout off.... its about £1 per person, per year. YOU may think such is "no way better" than your system, but for most rational people, it is. About 1,400%+ better. But hey, who is counting.

I watch a bit of PBS over here and they do have some interesting documentaries . Can I ask though, is there much difference between what we get in Europe and what you see on PBS's home turf? If there isn't a huge difference, then you are deluding yourself whilst insulting the BBC in even attempting a comparison.
  • edited December 2018

£150 a year,
    If it wasn't for my wife insisting, I wouldn't pay it.
    Perhaps if jug ears was booted off of MOTD, my opinion might change.
    Also BBC Scotland show a live top league game every Saturday.
    Would it be too much to ask for some live football (from any league)?
    Also feel their is a biased opinion of the EU vote portrayed by the BBC.