Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Drones at Gatwick

Finding it very hard to understand how the Police that can't find those flying Drones, disrupting people's travel seeing as they have been flying for 12 hours and apparently one is still flying now! What am I missing?

Comments

• Finding it very hard to understand how the Police that can't find those flying Drones, disrupting people's travel seeing as they have been flying for 12 hours and apparently one is still flying now! What am I missing?

With the range some of these drones have, what chance do the police have?
  • edited December 2018
    Surely the signal can be picked up if you have 12 hours to do so!
  • But you want to find the culprit as they may just send more up!
  • Most drones only have a battery life of 20-25 mins at a time. They must have a whole team of drones to get one up and replace it.

It is my understanding that there is technology availoable to stop drones flying into certain areas, works on the same principal of a radar jammer.
    I would have thought Gatwick will be investing in it now.
  • to the people guilty of doing it i severely hope they are caught and there privates removed with a rusty spoon bastards
  • surely the drone should be shot down and then the perpetrator afterwards - would maybe curb this sort of behaviour
  • edited December 2018
    Apparently you cant as they operate on the same frequency as a lot of things including mobile phones. There is technology for this problem, working within a 5 mile radius of an airport, but it has yet to be implemented. Thanks Google!
  • They are not up there all of the time. They are popping up intermittently.

I would think that any type of electrical countermeasure would need extensive testing where live planes will be going in/out.

The police have said it’s too risky to just shoot them down.
  • surely the drone should be shot down and then the perpetrator afterwards - would maybe curb this sort of behaviour

The police are saying it’s too dangerous to shoot it down, as bullets could ricochet.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    You would think somebody might see/report one low, which might point to the source!
  • You would think somebody might see/report one low, which might point to the source!

A smart person would stash them around the surrounding area then retreat somewhere else to control them.

I don't think the police can take the blame for this one!
  • But for 12 hours they are going to need a lot or they have to re-charge surely!
  • Makes a change from ministers droning on at Westminster
  • I'd guess that this is a co-ordinated effort by the perpetrators, aimed at causing maximum disruption with minimal effort. As Stu said above, stash a bunch of drones around the area and then control them from somewhere else. Hard to detect or counter.
  • Cant the police just get their own drones in the air to follow the other drones back to where they're coming from?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    It’s all been arranged by the airlines, cancel a load of flights not there fault, then sell tickets for the following few days at a massively increased price 😠😮💷 allegedly
  • When they catch these people they should be given as harsh a punishment as possible. I mean, vital organs for operations can be flown in to Airports too. I would give them 10 years.

10 years fuck that wouldn't waste a cell on them, these tech types have 0 common sense.
  • When they catch these people they should be given as harsh a punishment as possible. I mean, vital organs for operations can be flown in to Airports too. I would give them 10 years.

I'd hang em from their own drone
  • Russians that is.
  • edited December 2018
    And I assume these are not the cheap drones that would have a limited range and are rubbish in winds!
  • Probably the Ruskies at it again.
  • Not a bad way to extort money from an airport operator.