Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Big Bash 2017/18

Don't want to upset my friend Riviera by talking about this on the Ashes thread but three England lads playing in this season's first Big Bash match:

Roy 2 (5)
Buttler 0 (3)
Billings 32 (21)

Buttler kept superbly but Billings hasn't got the gloves for the Sixers as Neville is keeping. Good start for Bilbo with the bat though.

And just to confirm Bollinger will no longer be known as "Doug The Rug"

Comments

• I didn't recognise Doug the Rugless!
  • No Lamb, Rashid or Mears ?

I think you mean Michael Lumb and he retired in July due to an ankle injury, don't think Rashid is playing in the BB and Tymal Mills is with the Hobart Hurricanes.
  • Good innings for Billings in the opening match.

Second match starts in an hour between Brisbane and Melbourne. Melbourne have Luke Wright and Kevin Pietersen in their team. No former or current England players for Brisbane but they are captained by Brendan McCullum.
  • Sadly Chris Lynn injured but the Heat include two former Bexley CC players in Jimmy Peirson and Sam Heazlett.

I think you mean Michael Lumb and he retired in July due to an ankle injury, don't think Rashid is playing in the BB and Tymal Mills is with the Hobart Hurricanes.
    Yeah, thanks AA, bloody predictive !
  • Well that's made my day -seeing KP booed when he goes out to bat and then being hit in the gut by a short pitch ball. The eyes have gone!
  • But sadly the mouth hasn't and being "miked up" makes it even worse.
  • KP made a mighty 10 off 8 balls. Wright scored 19 off 15 but was out for the 7th time from 36 balls against a leggy.
  • Don't want to upset my friend Riviera by talking about this on the Ashes thread but three England lads playing in this season's first Big Bash match:

Roy 2 (5)
    Buttler 0 (3)
    Billings 32 (21)

Buttler kept superbly but Billings hasn't got the gloves for the Sixers as Neville is keeping. Good start for Bilbo with the bat though.

And just to confirm Bollinger will no longer be known as "Doug The Rug"

Old Doug didn't have the best of games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seriously partisan home crowd!
  • Seriously partisan home crowd!

Indeed it is even for the appreciation of Stoinis' innings although, to be fair, there's probably not too many Melbourne supporters there either given that it is probably almost a thousand miles between the two sides.
  • What a great match. Love T20.

Hate to say it because I'd love for our domestic T20 to stay integrated into the county scene but it's hard to argue against doing something similar in the UK...
  • I've seen it all now. Pollard who holds the record for T20s with some 400 appearances, has just walked out to the middle without a helmet - but wearing a massive gold watch. Most people are sponsored by a bat maker. I suspect that Pollard is sponsored by Rolex!
  • edited January 2018
    Well I have just seen the greatest catch of all time to get Bravo out. One player has leapt to catch the ball on the boundary and mid air has thrown it out of the back of his hand to another player some 30 metres away who has then had to dive to catch the ball himself. Do take a chance to see it if you can.
  • Well I have just seen the greatest catch of all time to get Bravo out. One player has leapt to catch the ball on the boundary and mid air has thrown it out of the back of his hand to another player some 30 metres away who has then had to dive to catch the ball himself. Do take a chance to see it if you can.

That's not a catch.
    What is a metre by the way?
    Riviera said:

Well I have just seen the greatest catch of all time to get Bravo out. One player has leapt to catch the ball on the boundary and mid air has thrown it out of the back of his hand to another player some 30 metres away who has then had to dive to catch the ball himself. Do take a chance to see it if you can.

That's not a catch.
    LOL
  • Well I have just seen the greatest catch of all time to get Bravo out. One player has leapt to catch the ball on the boundary and mid air has thrown it out of the back of his hand to another player some 30 metres away who has then had to dive to catch the ball himself. Do take a chance to see it if you can.

Wow, even the cameramen and commentators were caught out!

• Riviera said:

That's not a catch.
    That's rich coming from someone who never got his whites dirty taking a catch in his life.
  • Semis are 1st Feb Perth v Hobart (in new stadium) and 2nd Feb Adelaide v Melbourne. in Adelaide.
    Probably the 2 most spectacular cricket grounds in the world at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• This Ben McDermott character seems like he might be an Aussie version of Buttler
  • Rather one sided win for Hobart

Indeed it would have been even worse for Perth is it wasn't for Tim Bresnan who took 2-40 and top scored with 43
  • Mills has certainly lost his mojo. Bowled poorly in the BB and dropped for the semi. Last year he was the second most expensive pick at £1.4m but this year he was ignored.

It would have taken Mills all his career to earn that sort of money and is probably why cricketers, when they get an opportunity, have to take that big pay day.
  • Mills has certainly lost his mojo. Bowled poorly in the BB and dropped for the semi. Last year he was the second most expensive pick at £1.4m but this year he was ignored.

It would have taken Mills all his career to earn that sort of money and is probably why cricketers, when they get an opportunity, have to take that big pay day.

Speed and no real variation. Occasional slow ball that still gets picked off by the better batsmen, he is been bowling some pies this year.

Have enjoyed betting this year on BBL, bookies seem to go in at around a 160 line each match regardless of conditions, then adjust odds accordingly somewhat late on in the first innings. Complete goldmine if you're quick, in comparison to the CPL which is a complete landmine.
  • So the Strikers win the BB even without Rashid Khan who had to return to Afghanistan to play for them.

The Strikers' coach is Jason Gillespie who can now add the BB to the CC he won when at Yorkshire. Sussex are lucky to have him.
  • So the Strikers win the BB even without Rashid Khan who had to return to Afghanistan to play for them.

The Strikers' coach is Jason Gillespie who can now add the BB to the CC he won when at Yorkshire. Sussex are lucky to have him.

Such is the influence of Gillespie that Sussex have now signed Rashid Khan for the first half of the T20 Blast. In my opinion this will be one of if not the signing of the summer albeit for a relatively short time.
  • Match 1 is well underway in this years Big Bash for the people that are interested.

Brisbane Heat 118/9 v Adelaide.
  • Record BB last wicket stand of 45. Mujeeb scored 27 which is 11 runs more than he has achieved in any form of the game from 43 innings. But then he is only 17.

His Afghanistan team mate, Rashid Khan, has taken 3-19 in what is his 286th match as a pro. Not bad for someone who became 20 in September. Poor lad seems not to have aged very well though.