Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland Til I Die - Netflix

Has anyone seen this documentary which has very recently appeared on Netflix?

It follows Sunderland's horrendous season which obviously resulted in their relegation to League One. Similar to the Manchester City one, but a bit more gritty.

Found it a really interesting watch. Shows a club quite enthusiastic about the season ahead at the beginning, only to suddenly realise they've underestimated the league a bit and desperately need players.

Jack Rodwell comes out of it particularly badly, stopping Sunderland from getting in a few players by deciding to stay at the club on £70,000 a week, despite knowing he won't get a game.

Shows Simon Grayson to be a decent bloke, albeit a bit uninspiring, and Chris Coleman to be a happy clappy enthuiastic man, but more style than substance.

I highly recommend it. Yesterday afternoon I thought I'd give one episode a watch, and ended up watching the whole thing.

Comments

• ads said:

Not watching that load of shit

Me niether
  • Watched the whole season in a couple of days after doing pretty much the same with the Man City one on Amazon. Bit very interesting. I’m not sure I like football any better for having seen these but they were excellent watches. I shudder to think what a similar series on Charlton would look like!
  • Pringle said:

I liked the Peter Reid one - "It's not about tactics, it's about arsehole".

That was a classic but to be fair I think that was the game they were playing against Wimbledon with Jones and Fashanu and the rest of those animals.
  • This is very good. In my opinion, it is way more enjoyable than the City documentary that came out this year on Amazon.
  • I never saw Fashanu or Jones as intimidating, if I was playing on a Sunday against either of those they wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Keane, Souness those two had a real edge of genuine, nasty violence about them as did our own Lee Bowyer they would have been horrible to compete against and would have brought out the worst in me. The Leicester centre half Walsh was a genuine hard man and no centre forward wanted any part of him
  • It’s really good . I’ve binged watched 5 in a row .
  • Sponsored links:

• Watching it now... and it's excellent, makes me want championship football.

Rodwell comes out of it as a total arsehole, yet if any of us were in the same situation would we really give up 70k a week for how ever many weeks, I mean it's millions, tough one that.

It also just brings back horrible numb memories of relegation.

• I downloaded it and had a quick look last weekend. Have yet to watch the episodes one by one.

Actually I followed Sunderland a bit when Allardyce was there. And then strange as it may sound I became interested in their first team coach Stockdale, a (relatively) young and talented coach. He did an excellent job with their youth academy before being promoted to the first team by Allardyce. He survived four regimes (Allardyce, Moyes, Grayson and Coleman) so was still there last season and could be seen in the series.

I guess the producers originally planned to make a documentary on Sunderland's promotion season but things just went against (many) people's expectations. They ended up recording the club's historical low point. Thankfully the club got to change ownership and the series has a sort of happy ending/ends with some hopefulness. :joy:
  • image.

Yeah I noticed that, weird one
  • image.

I’m glad I’m the only one with an eagle eye. Very strange this!
  • Could it be footage of this season's game?
  • Could it be footage of this season's game?</blockquote
    No. Was boiling hot, no one in woolly hats.

• image.

...and a person with a claret and blue scarf behind???
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:

image.

Wtf is going on here? What a mystery
  • Had a quick look on a Sunderland forum. Generally they like the series but have all commented on shoddy editing e.g Fans in winter gear during midsummer games and vice versa.
  • I'm really enjoying it too, it's a much better watch than the Man City doc.

Isn't it a series from last season?
  • Maybe the titles were shot in an empty stadium with actors.
  • Carter said:

I never saw Fashanu or Jones as intimidating, if I was playing on a Sunday against either of those they wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Keane, Souness those two had a real edge of genuine, nasty violence about them as did our own Lee Bowyer they would have been horrible to compete against and would have brought out the worst in me. The Leicester centre half Walsh was a genuine hard man and no centre forward wanted any part of him

Big Dunc at Everton was the one.
    Mick Harford used scare the bejesus out of me and I was at the back of the Arthur Waite stand !!

Isn't it a series from last season?
    Like Sillybilly said, they did a lot of editing, using fan reactions at one game for another game (I read that too), which was why I thought it could be from this season. But as J BLOCK pointed out it was hot when our game agaisnt them took place so I was wrong.
  • I'm really enjoying it too, it's a much better watch than the Man City doc.

Definitely better . I gave up on the city one after two episodes.
  • CAFCTrev said:

image.

Wasnt there an England friendly there last year? Maybe its taken from that?
  • CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

image.

Wasnt there an England friendly there last year? Maybe its taken from that?
    You could be on to something there. Be odd tho if it's a Sunderland documentary and there filming for an England game