Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr - Was it a red card?

For those that have seen it either live or replayed, was it a red in your opinion?

Naby Sarr - Was it a red card? 298 votes

Yes - Red Card sadly
39%
AFKABartramRothkolancashire ladHenry IrvingCharltonparklanecfgsAddicktedSolidgoneCafcWestolsterChicagoAddickoohaahmortimershirty5newyorkaddickWeegie AddickCovered EndNo.1 in South LondonAirman BrownCrispystoneroses19 118 votes
No -Yellow at most
60%
_MrDickElthamaddickhenrythecatRed_Pete_in_DubaibucksheeT_C_Ewwaddickdaveroanlast_linecharlton4everLouisMendBuglehornChris_from_Sidcupguinnessaddicksoapy_joneskodfishPragueAddickTalaleddieaddickleftbehind 180 votes

Comments

• Yes - Red Card sadly
    Red for me when I saw it at the time. He has loooong legs so unfortunately when he stretches looks more reckless than it probably is. But it was outstretched leg, stubs up imo.

The replay that’s been shown doesn’t really add anything either way imo
  • Red for me when I saw it at the time. He has loooong legs so unfortunately when he stretches looks more reckless than it probably is. But it was outstretched leg, stubs up imo.

Any chance of a 50/50 option Bart......that would be my vote?

• No -Yellow at most
    The player got up so it couldn’t have been that bad
  • No -Yellow at most
    Think we should have a "still not sure" option. Without the slo mo close ups you would get with Sky coverage, I am still undecided. And that despite trying to ask myself "If I was an oppo fan..."
  • Like an orange card???

You wouldn’t make a very good referee with that level of decisiveness lol

From what I have gathered Bart, there are quite a number of us who are taking the same view point.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    Looks a bit harsh but difficult to argue against really. You can see why the referee has sent him off.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Well the poxy ref didn’t no he had to ask the line no so if in doubt no card or yellow at most
  • No -Yellow at most
    Technically we should appeal it. But it comes down to clear and obvious error. Probably down to interpritation which the system no longer does. The apeeal systems in totally and utterly flawed though.
  • Sponsored links:

• No -Yellow at most
    39 seconds into the game on a greasy pitch, both should have been taken into account. Yes it was late, but it was one footed and didn't look high.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Yellow at most.

Ask yourselves this. How many times do you see players commit fouls in the first half of a game that go unpunished yet if it was the second half would get carded?

Me and the bloke I sit next to talk about this most games. Come half time you often only see 1 maybe 2 yellows at most with a flurry of yellows dished out always in the second half yet the fouls committed are exactly the same in the first half.

Sometimes players don't get carded because it's too early in the game. On that basis there's a real lack of consistency if Sarr can be sent off in the 1st minute then I'd like to see ref's be more consistent and not bottle giving a card any time just because it's the first half or too early in a game.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Very harsh. Then again it is typical Kettle. Was a late tackle and mistimed but it wasn't deliberate.
    Had the Wimbledon player connected with his 2 footed challenge later on in the game, that should have been a red, it was a lot worse than Sarr's. Ref gave nothing cos there was no contact but there was intention. Can't remember who it was who nearly got taken out, Fosu or Aribo.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Going for the ball, went in one-footed and not high. Glanced the player. Ridiculous. The worst thing is, we'll need players like Sarr at Barnsley, so the suspension is what hurts the most
  • No -Yellow at most
    bellz2002 said:

Very harsh. Then again it is typical Kettle. Was a late tackle and mistimed but it wasn't deliberate.
    Had the Wimbledon player connected with his 2 footed challenge later on in the game, that should have been a red, it was a lot worse than Sarr's. Ref gave nothing cos there was no contact but there was intention. Can't remember who it was who nearly got taken out, Fosu or Aribo.

It was Reeves, the ref booked him, and then he got sent off for diving
  • edited December 2018
    No -Yellow at most
    For me it’s a no, it’s a yellow card. A couple of questions you have to ask is was he out of control? Was it with excessive force? For me the answer to those two are no.

It was one footed and he slid for longer due to the wet surface. Did it endanger the opponent? Well not really no, he wasn’t injured and the reaction of the players from Wimbledon probably made it worse in the referee’s mind.

Yes it was late, but the Wimbledon player only flicked it around the corner because he saw Sarr coming.

A couple of fouls Wimbledon done were far worse and didn’t get booked.

For me the referee should’ve taken more time and assessed the whole situation. The tackle itself, the surface, the time as it was the first tackle of the game. Maybe these things shouldn’t come into play but they do.

Maybe I am being biased but to me, that’s not a red card offence.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    The thing about football is that to manage the game we need to turn complex situations into binary decisions. Real life isn't always like that. The rules (I can't stick the jumped up self-importance of 'laws') are carefully framed to try and make it as objective as possible, but the truth is that there are always grey (or as AFKA comically observed, orange) areas. I think that if I'd have been the ref, I'd have given a yellow. That said, the ref's decision of red seems very hard to argue against - especially when you discount any pro-Charlton, anti-Kettle bias. For that reason I went red in the end.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Definite yellow for the dive...
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    I would say harsh, but you can't argue with it so you can't say it wasn't a red unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• No -Yellow at most
    Had a look on a better screen. Deffo a bad (cardable) foul. But whether it is red comes down to judgments we ask refs to make, and there are several cans of worms stacking up

- timing. Very first foul of the game, 45 seconds. Henry is right that a foul is a foul whenever it happens. BUT if you red card so early, you have changed the nature of the spectacle people paid to come and watch. So you gotta be damn sure. I give Kettle credit for speaking with the lino, but I'd much prefer the 4th official running VAR with slo-mo. Especially because it's Kettle, see below

- the conditions. Should Kettle have taken them into account more? I think so, especially as it was the first challenge of the whole game

- the size of Naby, aka, if it had been Chris Solly, would Kettle have only gone for yellow? And if so is that reasonable? Where does that take us?

- consistency. This is what gets us all wound up, and why I strongly support VAR, to improve it. People have remembered that it was Kettle who only gave a yellow for that appalling tackle on Grant Basey at Bristol Rovers. I wonder if somewhere there is video of it, it was on Sky, otherwise I would not have seen it. The question for Kettle is, are you happy that refs throughout the game will take that as a precedent for red cards for similar tackles in the first 10 minutes of a game? And have you, Mr Kettle, changed your mind about what is a red card tackle since the Basey incident?
  • No -Yellow at most
    Yellow card... Seen lots of worse tackles go unpunished.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    My view is only from Sky Sports highlights watching on mobile, but it does look red card worth. The outstretched leg and the twist and pace of the fall by Wimbledon player.

In my opinion, Kettle is one of the worst refs I’ve seen, but fair play to him in this situation, he didn’t run over waving a red. He spoke to the lino who clearly said it warranted a red. Yes, you could say Kettle still should have used judgement of it being wet and 50 seconds in and gone for a yellow, but can see why it went red.

From the looks of the highlights, it happened more or less in front of my old season ticket seat at front of the East, so if it wasn’t for the boycott I’d have had a better view.
  • No -Yellow at most
    For me that is a ONE match ban at most.
  • edited December 2018
    No -Yellow at most
    Personally I thought it was a yellow card offence from where I was sitting, which was a reasonable view (East Stand).

But not the most unjust red card I've seen either, and Naby DOES have a tendency to lunge in
  • No -Yellow at most
    Watched it a few times on the Highlights and given the early stage in the game and the conditions, just a yellow for me.
  • No -Yellow at most
    The question is really whether Naby's tackle was "A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play." Of course judgement is required as to what is meant by "endanger" - but Kettle is notorious for not being able to exercise judgement in a consistent manner. If the argument is that the laws should be followed in a literal manner where was the booking of the Wimbledon player for feigning injury, where were the 20 to 30 bookings per game for dissent by word or action. I'm afraid it is all a matter of degree and the circumstances at the time and a proper exercise of judgement, which Kettle has never understood. I can see no reason at all why the two footed challenge on Reeves didn't warrant a straight red if Kettle were being consistent in his judgement - there is nothing in the rules about making contact with the tackle of challenge.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

• Yes - Red Card sadly
    Double standards against us everyone would want a red
  • No -Yellow at most

Red for me when I saw it at the time. He has loooong legs so unfortunately when he stretches looks more reckless than it probably is. But it was outstretched leg, stubs up imo.

Yeah I'm just seeing it first time on the replay. It's hard to tell from that. It's a bad challenge no doubt, but we've seen so, so many worse challenges in this league that get a booking at best. Between that, the fact that it's what, the first minute, and the fact that the conditions are bad and for me it's hard to say it's a nailed on red card.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    Thought it was a definite red - had similarities with that El Kak tackle years ago against west brom when Earnshaw got a hattrick.

More importantly - is that the quickest ever charlton sending off?