Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Raheem Sterling

123457»

Comments

• All depends on what you call offensive chanting.

I’ve heard homophobic in a sense against Brighton - although I don’t see too much wrong with does your boyfriend know your here, got a few Brighton supporting pals and they see no issue and find it quite amusing.

Jihadi John song a few times - again no issue as the guy was a terrorist and anyone that takes offence to that must be a sympathiser.

Been attending Charlton games for 20 years and I’ve never heard any racist language, others may have but I haven’t sit north upper and don’t my fair share of away games.

I’ve heard homophobic in a sense against Brighton - although I don’t see too much wrong with does your boyfriend know your here, got a few Brighton supporting pals and they see no issue and find it quite amusing.

Jihadi John song a few times - again no issue as the guy was a terrorist and anyone that takes offence to that must be a sympathiser.

Been attending Charlton games for 20 years and I’ve never heard any racist language, others may have but I haven’t sit north upper and don’t my fair share of away games.

You never once heard the dodgy DVD song?

Nope, I think nye away one year against Leyton orient there were some blokes singing the Kevin Lisbie song and a few fans kicked off with them didn’t hear the song myself just knew that was the reason for the kick off.

At a recent European qualifier away there was a black arsenal fan with a flag that had the words “ England away on the piss with black Chris”

Some would perceive that as racist.

I mean, even I don't think "does your boyfriend know you're here" ranks particularly highly on the offensiveness scale, but that's not really the point, is it?

It's more that it can help engender casual homophobia, because it IS still homophobic. It plays on the "gays liking sports SHOCK" stereotype, and is a mild taunt in a generally overtly heterosexual environment meant to wind up other fans (even if in jest).

When it comes to racist language, though, that's a completely different kettle of fish. At Gillingham away in the 16/17 season (1-1 draw, shit game), Nicky Ajose played a through ball. It were crap and went out for a goal kick. The following exchange then took place behind me among a group of probably 14-16 year olds:

Youth 1: Ajose, why are you so SHIT?!

Youth 2: Because he's a [n-word].

Youths 1-6: laughter

Yeah. Hard R on that redacted word and everything. Absolutely disgusting.

I turn around and ask if they'd want to repeat that a bit louder. To my shame, I didn't report them (mainly because I was quite a lot bigger than them and thought my presence was sufficient), but they piped down for the rest of the game, surprisingly.

I've heard a box behind me in the East sing the Kevin Lisbie song. This was a couple of years after he left, too.

The Zheng Zhi chant irks me for understandable reasons.

My friend told me he once heard racial abuse involving Lloyd Sam being distracted by an opposition player's yellow boots, or something, because bananas are yellow too, and that sort of bollocks.
  • It’s always I should of reported it but didn’t.

It was the point as someone called it vile abuse - to which I stated I didn’t think it was....
  • I did once hear somebody call Yohann Thuram-Ulien the banana man.

I thought it was outrageous at the time..... until I quickly realised he was dressed head to toe in yellow!
  • About 5/6 years ago a goalkeeper at The Valley was called what Raheem was at Chelsea.

The stewards were alerted and I didn't see the bloke again for about 2 years so hopefully he served a ban.

Nope, I think nye away one year against Leyton orient there were some blokes singing the Kevin Lisbie song and a few fans kicked off with them didn’t hear the song myself just knew that was the reason for the kick off.

At a recent European qualifier away there was a black arsenal fan with a flag that had the words “ England away on the piss with black Chris”

Some would perceive that as racist.
    Who would?
  • About 5/6 years ago a goalkeeper at The Valley was called what Raheem was at Chelsea.

The stewards were alerted and I didn't see the bloke again for about 2 years so hopefully he served a ban.

I'm even more hopeful they weren't a regular.
  • JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I liked the bloke who said he’d been going to Chelsea for 20 years and had never heard any racism. I suggest he gets his ears checked.

I’d say the same regardless of the club.

I can honestly say I have never heard racist abuse at The Valley. There was the 'who let the frogs out' chanting against Chelsea that time, but I've never heard a black player receive abuse, and I like to think the surrounding fans wouldn't stand for it. I accept I might be naive to think that.

And maybe it does happen and I just don't notice it. I do remember some guy sitting next to me and dad one day, saying he had quit an area in the old Covered End because he'd had enough of the racist stuff over there. I sat in the old F Block for four years soon after that, and didn't hear anything at all along those lines.

That all said, I have more recently seen our away fans (youngsters) abuse black stewards. Not racially abuse, but certainly treat them with less respect than their white counterparts.
    I remember hearing some vile homophobic chants at the valley ('we can see you holding hands' to Brighton fans) but I genuinely can't remember any recist abuse either.
    Was the bracketed sentence above the ‘vile homophobic chant’? Or were there other examples?
    That was the chant. Sorry if repeating it has caused any offense.
    No offence caused, just baffling that you referred to that as ‘vile homophobia’. Let’s hope you never encounter any genuine homophobia in your life.
    Is their much genuine homophobia anymore? Perhaps I'm being naive but I can't think of any anti gay comments or attitudes from people in my circles since the playground.

The 'vile' holding hands line was a light hearted allusion to some of the posts on here following the Brighton 4-0 thrashing a few years ago it wasn't meant to cause any upset.
    Maybe the Welsh rugby guy who was attacked in the street, or the victims of similar attacks would disagree.
    You can add the Ben Stokes case as another high profile example. I guess my sense is that these attacks are anomalies and that society is massively more tolerant than it used to to be but maybe that's not other people's experience/perception
    My perception as a straight white man is that as a society we are less racist and homophobic than when I was growing up.

But that doesn't mean there isn't still a problem.
    I remember some real bad racist chants in the 70's with the N word & lick my boots.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember when we played Chelsea and Marcel Desailly threw one of his socks into the crowd. There was one old guy at the front of the F Block shouting the N Word and trying to get people riled up. Thankfully everyone looked at him in disgust and i've never seen him since.
  • Wow. Well done Chelsea. With a clear and reasoned justification for a decision being made and not a {...} in sight. Imagine if our club statements read like this and not an old man's fever dream
  • Thought we signed him
  • Very commendable but those fans look like the daytrippers
  • My favourite non Charlton player right now. 
    His improvement over the last 2/3 seasons has been incredible 
  • Nice of sterling compared to the Mickeys booing the national anthem - wonder why they are hated all over the world, shit stain on English football imo 
  • JaShea99 said:
    Blatantly only doing that for attention and to look like he cares. No concern for the young children’s faces he’s plastering over social media. What a self-absorbed prick.
    Not sure if this is serious or if I’ve been whooshed

• Sponsored links:

• My favourite non Charlton player right now. 
    His improvement over the last 2/3 seasons has been incredible 
    And yet I can’t help but feel he could deliver more. That one-on-one was typical of him. City create so many unmissable chances even he can’t miss all of them!
  • Have been really impressed by Sterling and by the way he has answered many of his critics. Really pleased for him.
  • Have been really impressed by Sterling and by the way he has answered many of his critics. Really pleased for him.
    He was always potentially a world class player - he now is.

Don't underestimate the influence of one particular Spanish manager in that transformation.
  • Should have won the Nobel Peace Prize.
  • edited October 2019
    All depends on what you call offensive chanting. I’ve heard homophobic in a sense against Brighton - although I don’t see too much wrong with does your boyfriend know your here, got a few Brighton supporting pals and they see no issue and find it quite amusing. Jihadi John song a few times - again no issue as the guy was a terrorist and anyone that takes offence to that must be a sympathiser. Been attending Charlton games for 20 years and I’ve never heard any racist language, others may have but I haven’t sit north upper and don’t my fair share of away games.
    The reason it isn't amusing is context. We have a professional game where there are no openly gay players.

I haven't heard racist language at Charlton in a long time either, and I think it would be challenged if some ignorant, pathetic low life tried to use it. But we must be vigilant, racists probably attend games, they just know their comments are not welcome. We have to keep it that way.
  • Shortlisted for BBC Sports Personality of the Year