Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options

The Platform Staff at Charing Cross Station – I can only presume the interview process to land the position was proving the ability to breath, because it can’t have been showing any skills including customer service and being able to talk. I think the last time any of them smiled was when the Dover Priory service arrived on time back in 1974. I have to hand it to Southeastern though, they’ve managed to scrape the bottom of the gene pool, tip out the cretinous remains off the shovel and give it a hi-vis and a whistle. Impressive stuff.

The trouble is (and it's not just Southeastern's fault it happens in every low paid service industry) the people who are good at that job don't do it as they can do something better. Or they don't do it for long...

So you end up with dross....
  • Options

The Platform Staff at Charing Cross Station – I can only presume the interview process to land the position was proving the ability to breath, because it can’t have been showing any skills including customer service and being able to talk. I think the last time any of them smiled was when the Dover Priory service arrived on time back in 1974. I have to hand it to Southeastern though, they’ve managed to scrape the bottom of the gene pool, tip out the cretinous remains off the shovel and give it a hi-vis and a whistle. Impressive stuff.

The trouble is (and it's not just Southeastern's fault it happens in every low paid service industry) the people who are good at that job don't do it as they can do something better. Or they don't do it for long...

The real problem is that the platform staff don't seem to know anything more than those trying to get to work or get home. There is no doubt the job is at the lower end of the job market however people take those jobs because they are generally secure and there is scope to move on and find other opportunities. Same with a lot of other places but the big difference with someone like southeastern is you will end up taking a lot more shit off the general public than someone working for say, British Gas with an entry level job

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Carter said:

The real problem is that the platform staff don't seem to know anything more than those trying to get to work or get home. There is no doubt the job is at the lower end of the job market however people take those jobs because they are generally secure and there is scope to move on and find other opportunities. Same with a lot of other places but the big difference with someone like southeastern is you will end up taking a lot more shit off the general public than someone working for say, British Gas with an entry level job

The problem is (especially at terminal stations) you are reliant on the signal box or control point keeping you informed of delays or platform alterations.
    During normal service, I am sure they can tell you what platform each train goes from etc but in times of disruption, alterations are made at a moments notice.
    There might be that a late arrival is occupying a platform and the next booked service to use that platform is sitting outside waiting to come into the station. The signalbox makes the decision to move it into another platform and within a minute that train has arrived. Because of the speed of that decision, there hasn't been a chance to pass the alternation down to the staff, so as far as they are aware, it's still waiting outside for its booked platform.
    This is how the lack of understanding can happen.
    On ordinary stations, there shouldn't be any real reason for the lack of knowledge because (in theory) they would be watching the computer screens and should have plenty of time to anticipate and react accordingly to what they can see.

• Options
    This morning treat get on the 5.48 from Barnehurst to Victoria we manage to make it as far as Bexleyheath as there is now a door fault owing to inclement weather, absolute fucking circus
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Carter said:

It would help if any of them at Charing Cross could form a simple sentence using basic English. Most of them grunt or make some kind of inaudible noise normally followed by a tut. I’ve also seen the way they treat disabled or blind passengers, as if carrying a temporary ramp to the second carriage is like they’ve been asked to get them all the way home and make them dinner.
    I’ve met a couple of the platform workers at LB after a bloke had a fit on the train, and they stayed on until he got home, were chatty and extremely helpful. Maybe Southeastern ran out of decent ones there.
  • Options

This morning treat get on the 5.48 from Barnehurst to Victoria we manage to make it as far as Bexleyheath as there is now a door fault owing to inclement weather, absolute fucking circus

Did you all get booted off the train?
  • Options

nope just delayed for 20 minutes.
  • Options

Carter said:

I would help if any of them at Charing Cross could form a simple sentence using basic English. Most of them grunt or make some kind of inaudible noise normally followed by a tut. I’ve also seen the way they treat disabled or blind passengers, as if carrying a temporary ramp to the second carriage is like they’ve been asked to get them all the way home and make them dinner.
    I’ve met a couple of the platform workers at LB after a bloke had a fit on the train, and they stayed on until he got home, were chatty and extremely helpful. Maybe Southeastern ran out of decent ones there.
    And that there is exactly what they should be doing. Don't get me wrong I'm not sticking up for them, that's the job so get on with it. Plenty of stuff I don't like (detest) with my job and you've got to crack on.

I won't try and quote @cafckev but he's hit the nail on the head. With modern day communication systems and how cheap they are, there is no reason why a platform worker or anyone involved in Southeastern can't get a notification of stuff like that in real time. But that would cost money and be helpful to the people who use the service so it won't happen.

• Options
    Carter said:

Carter said:

I would help if any of them at Charing Cross could form a simple sentence using basic English. Most of them grunt or make some kind of inaudible noise normally followed by a tut. I’ve also seen the way they treat disabled or blind passengers, as if carrying a temporary ramp to the second carriage is like they’ve been asked to get them all the way home and make them dinner.
    And that there is exactly what they should be doing. Don't get me wrong I'm not sticking up for them, that's the job so get on with it. Plenty of stuff I don't like (detest) with my job and you've got to crack on.

I won't try and quote @cafckev but he's hit the nail on the head. With modern day communication systems and how cheap they are, there is no reason why a platform worker or anyone involved in Southeastern can't get a notification of stuff like that in real time. But that would cost money and be helpful to the people who use the service so it won't happen.

Southeastern have said numerous times when they've been awarded a new/extended contract, that they have supplied staff with new ipads to communicate with in times of disruption. Funnily enough I've never seen any staff using them (seen plenty playing on their own phones!), so where are they?
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Carter said:

Carter said:

Southeastern have said numerous times when they've been awarded a new/extended contract, that they have supplied staff with new ipads to communicate with in times of disruption. Funnily enough I've never seen any staff using them (seen plenty playing on their own phones!), so where are they?
    That's a disgrace then, or an outright lie. It's likely that the staff leave them in a room when they start their shift so they don't have to carry them round. Southeastern and connex before them epitomise why handing out supposed risk free contracts involving something owned by us to people only interested in margins will never make life better for the end user/poor sods who rely on them to get to work
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

nope just delayed for 20 minutes.
    they did this about two weeks ago but booted us off the train (after the driver had walked up and down aimlessly for 20mins) he then got in at the back and took it back towards Dartford.

I reckon its a new excuse for delays/lack of drivers/being fucking idiots
  • Options

They got you safely from Barnehurst to Bexleyheath, what more do you want?
  • Options
    I use southeastern from Bromley South every day.

I have no problems with the reliability of the timetable, but unfortunately for the past six months I am now surprised when the toilets are working.
  • Options
    No sign of my Victoria train this morning then one minute before it was due to arrive the guy at the station announced that they weren’t sure where it was as it hadn’t arrived at Dartford.

Don’t worry though the next train in is going to Charing Cross and has less coaches today.

Standing all the way from cunting barnehurst!

Cunts
  • Options
    Carter said:

Carter said:

Nothing South Eastern can do about it though even if they wanted to. They just get more or less the the same feed that anyone else can get on their phone.
  • Options

Carter said:

Carter said:

Nothing South Eastern can do about it though even if they wanted to. They just get more or less the the same feed that anyone else can get on their phone.
    The difference is most people can actually read, unlike the Southeastern fucktards!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    South Eastern Trains totally fucked.

High Speed not running so @Len\'s_little_girl was told to go to Victoria to get a train to Kent. They are fucked too.

I can see I am going to have to drive 50 miles into London at this rate and pick her up.

Uber et al have racked up their prices. Bastards.
  • Options
    Chaos at London Bridge. Pathetic. How much have they spent on that station? 2018 and trains still can't run on time. Reason given is a fire at Ashford. How does that affect the Hayes line? Anyone in the railway industry on here who can explain?
  • Options
    The lying bastards are saying services are running normally on Twitter!

They are not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    LenGlover said:

The lying bastards are saying services are running normally on Twitter!

They are not!

Are you saying they were running on time and the bastards were lying about it being a normal service ?
  • Options

If Trevor Kettle gets himself a hi-viz for Christmas, surely he’s found the perfect job!
  • Options
    Love it @man_at_milletts! I shall sing that to Chris Grayling MP while I'm beating him to death with a guard's flag.
  • Options
    Looks like no problem with the toilets then?
  • Options
    No problems with the trains today.
  • Options

No problems with the trains today.

That's two days in a row, things are looking up!
  • Options
    Back to normal today then? Although its only a modified Saturday service.