Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

All this moaning about the ref from Pompey fans is hilarious they’re livid on Twitter.

Pompey are in my opinion in a pool of about 15 maybe 20 clubs who when doing well make home an absolute fortress, and with that the place becomes intimidating referees which leads to “home refs”.

You’ve probably all seen these spineless home refs over the years, places like Sheff Utd, Forest, Newcastle, Everton and Pompey being one of them. It’s almost an insult to them when the away side gets a penalty or one of their own gets sent, or not every 50/50 is going their way etc.

Last nights ref didn’t conform to this, I think he had a very good game, with absolutely no tongue in cheek.

If they wanted to see a bad ref, they should have attended our home game against Peterborough.
    I didn't see the Portsmouth game so can't comment other than to observe that they reckon these things even out over a season. The Peterborough ref completely shafted us so if we did get the rub of the green against Portsmouth we were due it.
  • Options

Yeah that was handball actually from Lapslie for the first attempt

He's been quite clever how he's done it though, by keeping his arm already on the post there wont be an intentional movement from him to try and deliberately block the ball

Had his arm been down by his side with Lapslie bringing his arm up then the ref (had he seen it) would probably have given a penalty
    Looks like it hits his left thigh to me, not his arm.
  • Options
    If that game had been the other way round our fans would be crying just as much if not more than Pompey , i mean we've even seen Lapslie handball the first one in that miracle double block with his arm in an unnatural position but cos it's for us we'll ignore that .
    no fans cry as much as us about how hard done by we are with refs .
  • Options

If that game had been the other way round our fans would be crying just as much if not more than Pompey , i mean we've even seen Lapslie handball the first one in that miracle double block with his arm in an unnatural position but cos it's for us we'll ignore that .

Looks like thigh or knee to me.
  • Options

These rose tinted glasses help
  • Options

Here's the block from Lapslie, definitely his head.

Reading some of the replies some Pompey fans still think it was hand ball!
  • Options

Looks like thigh or knee to me.
    I'd say thigh because of the way the ball sat up nicely for the bloke to volley into George's face. Knee and it would have bounced further, hand and I think it would have dropped to the ground
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He's been quite clever how he's done it though, by keeping his arm already on the post there wont be an intentional movement from him to try and deliberately block the ball

Had his arm been down by his side with Lapslie bringing his arm up then the ref (had he seen it) would probably have given a penalty
    If he did not move his arm it was not handball.
  • Options
    Any update on Taylor injury? Saw a pic of him leaving the ground in a protective boot. Also KAG injury? heard it was a Hammy issue ... Then how about Marshall limping around at the end?
  • Options
    Another point to be made about Sarr was he was playing against one of the best players in the league in Lowe. I hope Bowyer gives him a run at left back.
  • Options

Another point to be made about Sarr was he was playing against one of the best players in the league in Lowe. I hope Bowyer gives him a run at left back.

I hope not
  • Options
    addick16 said:

Any update on Taylor injury? Saw a pic of him leaving the ground in a protective boot. Also KAG injury? heard it was a Hammy issue ... Then how about Marshall limping around at the end?

Injury to Marshall's ribs in the 83rd minute, when he was completely taken out and the Pompey bloke booked.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I suppose the cup defeat all forgotten now.

Cup defeat? What cup defeat?
  • Options
    Anyway, an away win near to Christmas should be celebrated in the traditional Charlton way.
    This is your chance to sing:

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,
    Jingle all the way.
    Oh what fun it is to see,
    Charlton win away!

:smile:
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Thats what I said... "by keeping his arm already on the post"
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Actually agree with this.
    Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    There are far worse places to visit.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!
    I was also at Fratton Park for that Cup game in 1976.

But it was a decent sized Charlton contingent that went ..... about a dozen coaches, and loads had come down on the train. Plenty of us Charlton there, Prague.

Then we took a massive crowd to top tier Wolves in the next round - lost 3-0 but hell of a good day out.
    Well I don't doubt for one moment that you were there, but where the ???? you all were, i will never know, because I didn't see or hear any large group in any location. If I'd seen it, I would have headed for it, it was pretty much all free terracing in those days. 3-0, and I thought I was celebrating on my own.

I didnt go to Wolves, but I could see on the the telly clips the huge Charlton contingent, which only made me think again, where was everybody at Fratton?

Do you remember being in a big Charlton group, Oggy, and if so, where in the ground?

Just read this after posting in reply to Oggy, seems Iread your post wrong. There was a few hundred Charlton there that night (compared with the 15000 they had brought to the valley on the Saturday). As I said in my previous post there were about 50 on the halfway line but most were in the open end getting wet :smile:
    15,000? , that sounds a bit much. For sure they filled the whole south terrace though. Funny thing about that is, that at half time, I was able to wander round there, and somehow find my Pompey mates in the middle of them, no mobile phone, no prior arrangement. And no trouble either. But the replay was something else. I guess I couldn't find or hear any Charlton fans that night because in those days there were not strict designations of areas for away fans, and the size of the home crowd had overwhelmed them anyway.

Now I come to think of it, for the home game last season I was outside the North while a lot of them marched up Harvey Gardens, and a lot of them had an attitude, could have kicked off in a heartbeat.

15000 was the estimated figure given & I think that was the same season they took 12000 to Liverpool midweek for a league cup tie. They've always been well supported away, though obviously not normally to that extent. After the cup game there was a fair bit of trouble up in the village & in my experience there has always been trouble against Pompey, at least from 66/67 season at Fratton Park up until we played at Norwood when they attacked the Ship (& paid the price when a mob rushed out & laid into them)
    Looked it up out of curiosity. Valley attendance was 26,361. No way they outnumbered us. Maybe 10k of them. Noticed that their centre back was Paul Went.

• Options

Redrobo said:

Thats what I said... "by keeping his arm already on the post"
    That's what many defenders do when they position themselves by the post to defend a set piece.
    When I was playing, I used to do exactly that every time.

By doing that, you've determined your positioning and know you're not going to get in your keeper's way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

clb74 said:

What’s a cup?
  • Options

clb74 said:

I call it fickleness.
    And I don't like it because that's the nickname I give to palace fans.
    How this squad has got us into 5th place with all the injuries with had this season is unbelievable.
    One after another , you think the injury list can't get any worse and bang another.
    Give it a couple more games and we will be grabbing people out the crowd for the subs bench.
    If we somehow make top 6 this season it will be a bloody good season.
    I said at the start of December 9 points will be a good month , f@ck knows what 11 will start Saturday but there will be a free pint waiting for me and the 11 that start will be doing there best
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I said at the start of December 9 points will be a good month , f@ck knows what 11 will start Saturday but there will be a free pint waiting for me and the 11 that start will be doing there best

If there's a free pint waiting for you, watch out that Elfsborg doesn't get there first! :smile:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    LenGlover said:

All this moaning about the ref from Pompey fans is hilarious they’re livid on Twitter.

Pompey are in my opinion in a pool of about 15 maybe 20 clubs who when doing well make home an absolute fortress, and with that the place becomes intimidating referees which leads to “home refs”.

You’ve probably all seen these spineless home refs over the years, places like Sheff Utd, Forest, Newcastle, Everton and Pompey being one of them. It’s almost an insult to them when the away side gets a penalty or one of their own gets sent, or not every 50/50 is going their way etc.

Last nights ref didn’t conform to this, I think he had a very good game, with absolutely no tongue in cheek.

If they wanted to see a bad ref, they should have attended our home game against Peterborough.
    I didn't see the Portsmouth game so can't comment other than to observe that they reckon these things even out over a season. The Peterborough ref completely shafted us so if we did get the rub of the green against Portsmouth we were due it.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

What is interesting generally about Pompey fans claiming the ball went out is their demonstration of lack of knowledge of the laws of the game. I think their main contention is if you can see the whole of the line, the ball must be out. This would be true only if the ball was a cube. Being a sphere, it can be sitting over the line but still be in. So many fans don't understand this.

True but going by that photo it's fair to say the ball looks well out.
    No way, the bottom of the ball is touching the ground just off the pitch but the spherical part is over the line so not out
    There was a bloke in a black kit holding a flag about five yards away with an unobstructed view who I have reason to believe knows the rules.

He didn't think the ball was out so I'll take his view over that of some bitter Pompey fans.
    rules?

Apart from that I agree with your sentiment
    Picky
  • Options
    Between the build up and finish, Ajose's goal may be goal of the year so far for me
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

If there's a free pint waiting for you, watch out that Elfsborg doesn't get there first! :smile:

He's okay there, the free drink is coming his way at The Valley.

London Colney v Edgware this Saturday for me.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Highly unintelligent comment.

How can, in the space of 0.5 seconds, Lapslie decide to handball the ball? Obviously not a "deliberate" handball, therefore it is not a penalty.
    I have to disagree here.

I would suggest @LenGlover was working on the law of averages.
  • Options
    I think if you are in a wall say and you turn your back to the ball but have both hands in the air, if it hits a hand it is a penalty. That is because your hand is in an unnatural position even though you can't see the ball coming towards it. I would say, putting your hand on the post when you are defending the post is natural - you are doing it for positional reasons, not because you anticipate the ball possibly hitting it as you might be doing in the first example.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    At the end of the day it is all down to the interpretation of the man (or woman) in black with the whistle.