Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Have we ever had an injury season like this?

edited December 2018 in General Charlton
At least another two tonight.

I can’t ever remember a time where we have had so many injuries, there’s just been no let up at all.

It’s got to come to an end at some point, surely?

Comments

• It's called the curse of Roland.
  • Every season, but the effect is far worse under Roland because of the lack of proper first team squad players.
  • At least another two tonight.

I can’t ever remember a time where we have had so many injuries, there’s just been no let up at all.

It’s got to come to an end at some point, surely?

Oh it will end boss because due to the paucity of the squad circumstances will overtake events when we won't have enough fit players to put a side out. Cheers Roly you ****.
  • Trying to play football in a league of cloggers? Do we train on 3G?
  • Someone explain to me what getting players injured every game has to do with Roland?

Our squad is nowhere near as small as people make out. If some other L1 teams had the injuries we’ve had they would have been close to not fulfilling fixtures

Agreed with the exception of no senior cover at left back for Page.
  • Someone explain to me what getting players injured every game has to do with Roland?

Our squad is nowhere near as small as people make out. If some other L1 teams had the injuries we’ve had they would have been close to not fulfilling fixtures

Bringing players back from injury too soon because of inadequate cover Page being a case in point which has been a recurrent theme throughout the Douchbag's reign. Bauer, Pearce. Reeves, Bielik, Fosu, Ward are others that have had to be used sooner than ideal following injury. And let's not forget Vetokele's career was nearly ended.

It is a question of having a sufficiently good squad to cope with injuries/suspensions to continue to compete for promotion until the end of the season that matters.
    We really shouldn't compare ourselves with teams that don't have those ambitions.
  • The injuries have nothing to do with Roland and apart from left back you could argue we have just about enough cover. But the injuries mount up and with 6 matches in 4 weeks it is going to be testing. But after that the midweek games almost finish with only one and then Easter. Every big win we lose players it seems. No doubt Grant will be weeks not days. So January is the big test, will Bowyer be backed to bring in additions? Will Cullen ever return, will Steer/Ward leave? That will be down to Roland. But in my opinion an almost fully fit current squad would be top two and as it is now we should make top six.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hence why Bowyer rested players for the cup game. Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Buy cheap , buy twice

this most teams would struggle with the amount of injuries we have.
  • We have few rotation options and therefore we are forced to play players where other sides rotate.

Simply put a lack of strength in depth.
  • Not sure about lack of strength in depth apart from at left back. The amount of midfielders injured has been ridiculous. Pratley, JFC, Cullen, Clarke, Reeves, Ward, Fosu. Now we have 3 out of the 4 senior strikers injured as well.
  • A big problem is the speed in which players recover from there injuries. Nearly all of our pkayers take an age to get back to fitness
  • Our depth has no strength.

Our First 11 are strong, however beyond that we are lacking many players that will be suitable back up in the championship.
  • I’m not sure it can all be down to luck, although clearly two players dislocating shoulders in one game is unbelievable.

Through the years we’ve had a lot of utility players, a Steve Brown who could adequately cover at right back, centre half and defensive midfield, even in goal!

When you have a small (ish) squad you need players like that, we have very few of any note, especially from a defensive perspective.
  • 25 different players have played league football for Charlton this season.

Lack of experience yes. Small squad, no.

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

We have few rotation options and therefore we are forced to play players where other sides rotate.

Simply put a lack of strength in depth.

Dazzler21 said:

Our depth has no strength.

Our First 11 are strong, however beyond that we are lacking many players that will be suitable back up in the championship.

But if fit and you said our main midfield four would be Lapslie, Cullen, Clarke, Aribo, that would give depth and rotation options of Bielik, Pratley, Forster-Caskey, Ward, Fosu, Reeves, Marshall and a couple of youngsters in Morgan and Maloney.

That’s 13 players for 4 midfield positions, bar a couple carrying a lot of experience. 7 or 8 of those have already had periods out injured.

I get the left back cover weakness, and also a Taylor replacement, but I don’t understand how many players you’d expect a L1 club to maintain on a paying customer base of what, 6k?
  • Vet, Beilek, Page, Cullen, Pearce, Ward and Bauer have all spent fairly significant periods of their careers out injured, we maybe have too many of this type of player in the squad but that is the reason players of their quality (on the whole) are with a League One team.

The injuries to the rest are probably a more normal level for most clubs with extreme bad luck over JFC and Clarke.
  • edited December 2018
    So why have we only got a paying customer base of 6k? All roads lead to the Douchbag. We've been extremely blessed with young talent coming through, Lapslie, Aribo, Djiksteel, Grant in the starting 11 last night. The way things are going however the likes of Morgan, Maloney, Sarpong-Weirdo, RHF, Stevenson et al are going to be called upon more and more. Whilst they all show potential it'll be men against boys just like it was v Doncaster in the cup which is not right for their development.

The old scrote needs to hurry up and sell the club or get some more resources on board in January if he wants promotion to get more of his money back. Sadly I can foresee one of our prize assets being sold to fund anymore acquisitions.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Not sure you can argue we don't have much strength in depth when we have barely played our first XI in a single game this season, yet are in the play offs.

If we had everyone fit then you'd have Phillips, Dijksteel, Sarr, Bielik, Pratley, Marshall, Lapslie, Reeves, Ajose and Igor not in the side.

That is unquestionably pretty decent strength in depth for a league one side.
  • Watched football focus on Saturday and it was said that James Milner has only missed 6 games in a 506 prem. career.

This 100%, Roland getting blamed for absolutely everything is getting so boring.
  • Dazzler21 said:

How many League one teams have back up players that are good enough to be Championship back up?
  • edited December 2018
    It’s been happening to us too often and for too long a period to be down to luck.
  • Watched football focus on Saturday and it was said that James Milner has only missed 6 games in a 506 prem. career.

Some players are just very fortunate with injuries.

Lampard played something like 160 consecutive league games once for Chelsea, quite incredible to not even get a slight knock or have a need to be rested for just over 4 years!

Mark Kinsella was quite similar for us, hardly ever seemed to miss a game.