Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recently discovered Musician/band that went completely under your radar for too long.

Mine is Kenny Rankin.
Came across the man on YouTube earlier this year, only to find he's been dead for 9 years.
For me this man is up there with Chet Baker and - dare I suggest, above Kurt Elling (troubles...)

https://youtu.be/nrt8Y-F3U14

Give us yours...

Comments

• Frank Zappa
    Totally ignored him at the time but now realise what a genius he was.
  • Catfish and the bottlemen
  • edited December 2018
    Loads....for example

Joy Formidable
    Muse
    British Sea Power
    Moby
    Wolf Alice
    Train
  • Innocence Mission, been going for over 20 years only heard their single Green Bus on Radio 6 about 2/3 months ago.

If you like Nick Drake, please give that track a listen then listen some more😊
  • Aztec Camera.
  • Black Sabbath
  • Disturbed and War on Drugs.
  • edited December 2018
    a few years ago it was Jesus and Mary chain - for some reason i was put off by the name so never listened to them for years. edit - just remembered that I used to think they were a Christian rock group.

more recently i guess the band 'Ride'
    i knew of them but don't think i ever bothered to listen to any of their songs until last week.
  • edited December 2018
    MESH , They have been around since 1991 , but only discovered them around 6 years ago , been one of my favourites since then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Guy Clarke - when he died 2 years ago that was the first time i had heard his music. now got a couple of albums by him.
  • Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
  • Fela Kuti.
  • Van Morrison
  • edited December 2018
    Funkadelic. 70's was my era but didn't hear of this lot (especially Maggot Brain) until a couple of years back!
  • Not a musician/band but a style of music - trance. I used to enjoy it when I heard it on the radio around 2000 (e.g. on Dave Pearce's R1 Sunday evening show) but never really twigged what it was until recently

Perfect gym music!
  • LITTLE FEAT.
  • Black Grape
    Liszt

Eclectic...
  • Wire
    Suede (thanks to the most recent 2 albums. A prog-rock band, basically.)
  • edited December 2018
    cafc-west said:

Funkadelic. 70's was my era but didn't hear of this lot (especially Maggot Brain) until a couple of years back!

Big P-Funk fan, so much so that I have both Funkadelic and Parliament T-shirts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Feet don’t fail me now.
  • MrOneLung said:

fadgadget said:

MESH , They have been around since 1991 , but only discovered them around 6 years ago , been one of my favourites since then.

I used to have one of their shirts....
    But does it still fit ?
  • Disturbed and War on Drugs.

War on drugs I had heard of but never listened to. Then one of their songs (under the pressure) was on the last episode of the latest series of bojack horseman and I’ve been hooked.
  • Feet don’t fail me now.

When leaving the pub
  • edited December 2018
    Something surprised me earlier this year was the new album by Tiffany. Yes, THAT Tiffany. It's a very good AOR type rock album that has a Stievie Nick's feel to it. Worth a listen, called "Pieces of me"
  • I could never get into the Smiths when I should have. It was only when I got into my mid to late 20's that I realised how great they were.
  • I could never get into the Smiths when I should have. It was only when I got into my mid to late 20's that I realised how great they were.

Same here. I used to think Morrissey was a whiny dick (still do to some extent!) Johnny Marr sealed the deal for me.
  • Missed It said:

I could never get into the Smiths when I should have. It was only when I got into my mid to late 20's that I realised how great they were.

Same here. I used to think Morrissey was a whiny dick (still do to some extent!) Johnny Marr sealed the deal for me.
    Ah yes. Never been a Smiths fan but really like the newish Johnny Marr album

• Acab said:

LITTLE FEAT.

Great group, played at the Valley in 1976 backing The Who, sadly I never got to see it
  • edited December 2018
    A few years back I heard the Pixies for the first time, at the time they had split and reformed and Kim Deal had left for the second time, so it was already a long way down the road for them. I'm still bemused how I missed them first time round.