Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Laddick01 said:

Injured again, great..

Once again Klopp's management of Gomez is nothing short of embarrassing. You have a young player here who clearly needs to limit the football he's playing off the back of successive injuries. Lets start him as RB cover and bench our otherwise healthy RB.

Madness

I don't think game management could stop him breaking his leg.
  • Simonsen said:

se9addick said:

Just announced that he’s signed a new, 5 year contract with Liverpool - congratulations to Joe but we definitely had our trousers pulled down for £3.5m

Thanks Roland, Thanks Katrien

£3.5M sounded like bad business at the time, it sounds catastrophic now.
    Who gave Gomez a release clause?
    Joe didn't have to sign a contract with us. I'm pretty sure the release clause was the only reason he did.
    A better owner and CEO may have handled the situation better. They probably realised they could take advantage of Meire’s lack of knowledge and experience.
  • Release clause didn’t have to be at £3,5m did it?
  • Not sure the club had much bargaining power with such a talented player to be fair. As incompetent as both RD and KM. wonder what he is worth today? £40M?
  • Not sure the club had much bargaining power with such a talented player to be fair. As incompetent as both RD and KM. wonder what he is worth today? £40M?

KM admitted herself she was naive when dealing with players agents. Pretty sure Gomez signed pro soon after the 13/14 season had finished.

What happened on Christmas Eve 2013?

Meire: Then Roland asked me totally out of the blue, to become a director at Charlton Athletic. There was almost bedtime, but I did not need that either. Who says no to such a chance? In the beginning it was rather vague. Roland sought someone to "represent him within the club." I thought: a couple of times a month on and off to London, why not? (laughs)

One day I was a lawyer and the next, I became CEO of a company of 80 people, not counting players. Without management experience, in a sector where women are rare, and in a foreign country. All thresholds. A friend said, I do not know if you are very stupid or very brave. (laughs loud) A combination of the two, perhaps. In the beginning, maybe I was a little naive, especially in my dealings with player’s agents, but that's all right now. A necessary learning school. You need to understand which agents know their profession and which cannot be trusted.

https://www.castrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/KnackArticle.docx
  • Surely the very definition of a decent manager is someone who the club’s representatives should not trust?

I was shocked when £3.5m was the figure.
    The best young talent since Shirley Temple should have been £10 mill with add on's
    A shambles of a release clause.

Of course Joe would move on but 2nd rate negotiations made Cafc look like a comedy club.
    Oh yes we did.
    Oh no we didn't.

The best young talent since Shirley Temple should have been £10 mill with add on's

Of course Joe would move on but 2nd rate negotiations made Cafc look like a comedy club.
    Oh yes we did.
    Oh no we didn't.
    It's quite easy to say the clause should've been 10m, but in reality the clause was probably whatever his agent wanted it to be or Gomez wouldn't have signed a contract and we might have got even less at a tribunal.

We're not the first club and i'm sure we won't be the last to get knocked for a decent young talent.

Dele Alli left MK Dons for 5m.
    Rob Holding left Bolton for 2m.
    Calvert-Lewin left Sheffield United for 1.5m
    Harry Maguire left Sheffield United for 2.5m.
    John Stones left Barnsley for 3m.
    Raheem Sterling left QPR for 600k.

Oh yes we did.
    Oh no we didn't.
    It's quite easy to say the clause should've been 10m, but in reality the clause was probably whatever his agent wanted it to be or Gomez wouldn't have signed a contract and we might have got even less at a tribunal.

We're not the first club and i'm sure we won't be the last to get knocked for a decent young talent.

Holding is shite. And you can add Shelvey to the list aswell
  • Sponsored links:

Oh yes we did.
    Oh no we didn't.

Holding is shite. And you can add Shelvey to the list aswell
    I'm not saying he's the next Baresi, but 2m for a guy who's started over half of Arsenal's games this season is still a poor deal from Bolton's point of view.
    Yeah fair point. Seems to have done better under Emery to be fair but shouldn't be at Arsenal IMO.
  • se9addick said:

Just announced that he’s signed a new, 5 year contract with Liverpool - congratulations to Joe but we definitely had our trousers pulled down for £3.5m

Thanks Roland, Thanks Katrien

£3.5M sounded like bad business at the time, it sounds catastrophic now.
    Ridiculous fee for a talent like Gomez but if it's any consolation, how much would Charlton Athletic Football Club have seen of any fee ?
  • None but reduced debt/roland valuation potential
  • Matip (Gomez replacement) out for 6 weeks too now. Big loss for Liverpool
    Down to 2 senior centre halfs. Both back in time for Champions League return in Feb though.
    Down to 2 senior centre halfs. Both back in time for Champions League return in Feb though.

Not sure who else can play CB. Henderson?

As an aside what were the addons for Gomez, seeing that he's played quite a few games now AND played for England

As an aside what were the addons for Gomez, seeing that he's played quite a few games now AND played for England
    Henderson is a good shout but I suspect that, if they do lose another CB, they might move Trent Alex-Arnold inside with Clyne or Milner at RB.
  • Fabinho plays right back too.

Not sure there were any which is why she got slaughtered for him going for just £3.5m.
  • edited January 2019
    cafc-west said:

Nice to see him there today in the lower west supporting the team against Sunderland.

Was he in the cushioned seats?
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc-west said:

Nice to see him there today in the lower west supporting the team against Sunderland.

Was he in the cushioned seats?
    Ha ha! No sitting with other players and Harry Lennon.
  • Joe has had terrible luck with various injuries in last two seasons.
    At least we got to see that he is a class CB where the educated football fan knew was his best position not RB (still good) and most certainly not LB(so unnatural for him)
  • Klopp talking about him having the surgery for the benefit of his long term future. So not rushing him back like a lot of clubs would have done!
  • This season:

Liverpool in the PL with Gomez in the side - 4 goals conceded in 1103 minutes = 1 every 251 minutes
    Liverpool in the PL without Gomez in the side - 11 goals conceded in 1147 minutes = 1 every 104 minutes

Not just down to Gomez obviously but the current back line is nothing like as solid as it was earlier in the season and badly missing both him and Alexander-Arnold at right back
  • edited April 2019
    Has finally returned to training after his broken leg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47713468

Good news for both Liverpool and England ahead of the Nations League Finals
    He seems to be moving ok in that McDonalds breakfast advert where he appears to bump into Katrien...just before his interview...