Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Surely now the reality has been shown of what no deal or May's universally unpopular deal is, it is only fair for the British people to decide if they really want this. Why are most (or all?) Leavers afraid to trust the people on this huge decision?

Because they know if we had another vote we would most likely vote to Remain. To them, delivering the JRM/Russian Hard Brexit is so precious they would deny the British people a say now the Faragist genie is out the bottle.
  • Options

Surely then, for all the talk of 'traitors' and 'enemies of the people', these hard-core Leavers are the ones who could really damage the country because of a hell-bent ideology and poor understanding of the modern world.

Yes, that is how more and more people are seeing it now. Look how JRM's wings have been unceremoniously clipped when revealed just what a farce his own plan turned out to be, as well as his stunning hypocrisy on the democracy angle.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Fiiish said:

Chaz Hill said:

Uncle Rup making his position clear via his Scum outlet. A second referendum without Remain as an option (because it lost in 2016)!

Not a bad shout really. We should at least LEAVE before any 2nd vote. If not then take remain off the table & then see what the options are.
    Again there is no precedent that the referendum result ought to be carried out before a confirmation vote.

And there are also the small matters of:

1) the electoral fraud that delivered the result
    2) it being an explicitly non-binding referendum
    3) the fact that No Deal was never discussed during the referendum and there is therefore no mandate for leaving the EU without a deal

As usual, if the S*n are advocating 1 thing, the proper and correct thing to do would be to do the opposite, considering it's a racist Anti-British rag of bile.
    To answer your points;

1) There is no actual proof of fraud....so until the SFO or the police bring a case this is a non issue

2) I heard somewhere recently (Politics Live on BBC2 I think) that is was most definitely binding & was written into the terms by David Cameron.

3) just plain crap. NO DEALS AT ALL were discussed during the Referendum. We were asked if we wanted to leave or stay. Not how or when. Leave means leave....by whatever measure the UK Government decides

You can keep trying to dodge the issue as much as you like but it's as clear as day. In June 2016 the electorate voted to leave & Article 50 is in law. We leave on the 29th of March 2019. The only way that can be stopped is by an Act of Parliament.

Btw. Norway plus is a disaster waiting yo happen. Even worse than TM's deal. We get to stay in the CU, keep free movement of people AND pay money for the privilege. Wtf ??

If any of the new "deals" being bandied about should be considered then Canada +++ is probably the best. Failing that then leave with no deal.
    Have your leave, nobody is stopping you. As you knew what you were voting for all you need to do is provide a workable solution for the practicalities on the newly created physical borders between the UK and the EU.
    Need to get a move on as you have had two and a half years already.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Fiiish said:

Chaz Hill said:

Uncle Rup making his position clear via his Scum outlet. A second referendum without Remain as an option (because it lost in 2016)!

Not a bad shout really. We should at least LEAVE before any 2nd vote. If not then take remain off the table & then see what the options are.
    Again there is no precedent that the referendum result ought to be carried out before a confirmation vote.

3) the fact that No Deal was never discussed during the referendum and there is therefore no mandate for leaving the EU without a deal

As usual, if the S*n are advocating 1 thing, the proper and correct thing to do would be to do the opposite, considering it's a racist Anti-British rag of bile.
    To answer your points;

1) There is no actual proof of fraud....so until the SFO or the police bring a case this is a non issue

2) I heard somewhere recently (Politics Live on BBC2 I think) that is was most definitely binding & was written into the terms by David Cameron.

3) just plain crap. NO DEALS AT ALL were discussed during the Referendum. We were asked if we wanted to leave or stay. Not how or when. Leave means leave....by whatever measure the UK Government decides

You can keep trying to dodge the issue as much as you like but it's as clear as day. In June 2016 the electorate voted to leave & Article 50 is in law. We leave on the 29th of March 2019. The only way that can be stopped is by an Act of Parliament.

Btw. Norway plus is a disaster waiting yo happen. Even worse than TM's deal. We get to stay in the CU, keep free movement of people AND pay money for the privilege. Wtf ??

If any of the new "deals" being bandied about should be considered then Canada +++ is probably the best. Failing that then leave with no deal.
    Have your leave, nobody is stopping you. As you knew what you were voting for all you need to do is provide a workable solution for the practicalities on the newly created physical borders between the UK and the EU.
    I haven't had 2 odd years.....not me making the decision mate. I woukd have just put up a border. Our country...our laws. Sod the GFA.

Over & out.
  • Options
    "My referendum result is more important than yours"
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    You have to consider you're dealing with a person who, when they were one of over a thousand parents heading into an area with 3 schools numbering nearly 3000 pupils, thought it was all the Poles and Greeks on the road to blame for the congestion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

Fiiish said:

Chaz Hill said:

To answer your points;

I haven't had 2 odd years.....not me making the decision mate. I woukd have just put up a border. Our country...our laws. Sod the GFA.

Over & out.
    Let’s hope car bombs don’t kill you or any one you care about. Then you’d be singing a different tune re GFA.
  • Options

The original referendum asked an ambiguous "negative" question which is impossible to enact without further referendums to clarify.

Like asking "Should we spend more money on infrastructure". Well I might say "yes".

But that doesn't mean the government can knock down anybody's house without compensation to build a road and claim "It's the will of the people - there will be rioting if we don't do this".

Countries which have regular referendums don't ask stupid questions.

We lead the way in stupidity - referendum achieved nothing and merely demonstrated the country is divided.

You can't seriously vote for Brexit and then get upset when it becomes apparent nobody knows what they've voted for.

Can't see how this will be resolved....
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Fiiish said:

Chaz Hill said:

To answer your points;

Over & out.
    The GFA which you say 'sod' to was ratified by a UK referendum.
    It is and was you making the decision.
    Are you now running away from your leave vote then?

On another note you say you would have 'put up' a border which is honest and straightforward. Could you describe the details of this border you would have 'just' put up? Even if it is in your imagination at the moment?
    Seth.
    Not sure what relevance this has to the debate but, I was a bit surprised by a quote from a Northern Irish politician on the radio, saying that only 40% of the electorate in the North vote for the D.U.P. or Sinn Fein.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    “The “think tank” is supposed to counter Russian online propaganda by forming “clusters” of friendly journalists and “key influencers” throughout Europe who use social media to hit back against disinformation.”

In b4 it’s revealed Russian troll farms do actually pump out pro Corbyn tweets, which if you look at the similarities in logic and vitriol with pro trump and pro Corbyn tweeters, I wouldn’t be surprised. So they were indeed doing their purpose, if not a bit dodgy.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Suppose Corbyn dies suddenly and Umna gets elected leader. How would his stance on Brexit differ? A question for Labour supporting Remoaners only.
  • Options

Suppose Corbyn dies suddenly and Umna gets elected leader. How would his stance on Brexit differ? A question for Labour supporting Remoaners only.

Well he’s got a stance for a start.

Labour is run by controlled by ultra left wing groups like Momentum and Len McCluskys Unite. Umunna has as much chance of getting the leadership nod as Nigel Farage.

• Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Fiiish said:

Chaz Hill said:

To answer your points;

Over & out.
    The GFA which you say 'sod' to was ratified by a UK referendum.
    It is and was you making the decision.
    Are you now running away from your leave vote then?

On another note you say you would have 'put up' a border which is honest and straightforward. Could you describe the details of this border you would have 'just' put up? Even if it is in your imagination at the moment?
    Seth.
    Not sure what relevance this has to the debate but, I was a bit surprised by a quote from a Northern Irish politician on the radio, saying that only 40% of the electorate in the North vote for the D.U.P. or Sinn Fein.
    I reckon Norn is your man for the details on this.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

seth plum said:

Fiiish said:

Chaz Hill said:

To answer your points;

Over & out.
    Plenty of competition, but definitely contender for most twattish post ever!
    This is unfair and uncalled for.

I totally disagree with the suggestion @golfaddick has posted. Because it's ill-informed, unsustainable, dangerous and inflammatory. But he's perfectly entitled to his opinion, however harmful it might be.

This is one of the problems about Brexit and about the referendum itself. It grants three types of people exactly the same amount of power, ie one vote. One type of person is someone well-informed, with a full and detailed grasp of all the issues, facts and implications around leaving the EU and how it should be done, if at all. The second type - and I would say Golfie is one of many such type on this thread - is an honest voter, but someone who is clear on their intention (leave or remain), but sanguine as to how it's achieved or the poor effect it will have. And the third, is a dishonest voter, intent on influencing more voters with their lies, dissembling, obfuscation and deceit. The third type includes Farage, Rees-Mogg, Davis and others.

That's the problem. Whether you rely on facts (type 1), feelings (type 2) or you're a liar (type 3) you get a vote. And worse still, type 3s get to influence the largest number of people; type 2s get to spout simple, unfiltered feelings and are never held to account for the problems those feelings exacerbate; and type 1s are marginalised.

Anyway, the point is this - Golfie is allowed to hold ridiculous and harmful opinions and to share them. But it would be interesting to see if he can justify the obvious (surely..?) harm those opinions would cause.
  • Options
    Macron the EU's pin up boy hiding somewhere while
    riots going on in Paris, also trouble in Brussels and Marseilles.
    Jeremy on working/holiday in Portugal.
    All going so well for the Remainers!
    Bring on another vote!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!