Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Pool Thread (Mosconi Cup)

The annual Mosconi Cup is taking place in London from Tuesday until Friday. Must say I do enjoy watching this each year, being a keen Pool player myself. Can Europe beat the Americans for the 9th consecutive year? Coverage on Sky Sports.

Comments

• Good viewing but has to be watched on mute. The crowd are painful to listen to.
  • Will be watching if TalkTalk get there arse into gear
  • Good viewing but has to be watched on mute. The crowd are painful to listen to.

Like palace games
  • i love watching it. Love the glum American faces when they get beat (again) - its strange, but similar to Ryder Cup where the Yanks just cant get it together as a team.
  • 1st point to Europe.
  • 2-0 Europe. 9 to go
  • edited December 2018
    2-2 now. 1 last point to play for tonight.
  • The crowd are doing my head in
  • 2-3 USA after day 1
  • Didn't realise it started yesterday, shame would like to watch it but have 8ball pool every day this week, prob wont even record it.

Usually love this, one of my mates who plays pool with us is going tonight. great to watch , pool version of the ryder cup.
  • Sponsored links:

Just watching it now. The crowd is like a tossy version of the darts.
  • How he missed that pink I don't know
  • Day two finishes Europe 4 USA 6
  • didnt even know this was a thing until was in the pub last night and 4 blokes asked to put it on.
  • This is what frustrates me, American pool is so much easier than English 8ball. Lately 8ball has been getting more popular and was on free sports for a couple of competitions (Premier League / Champions cup) , also BBC sport online have picked up some of the tour events. I remember tweeting Barry Hearn, he said their is no interest in it... although its alot more skill involved then 9 ball (massive pockets), the whole problem is they have 2 different main sets of rules : World Rules (Been around years but more tactical) Blackball (getting more popular) neither are straight forward and you would have to learn the rules. Personally i think its a market they should look into with darts being so big and hit main channels like sky sports, we shall see one day.
  • This is what frustrates me, American pool is so much easier than English 8ball. Lately 8ball has been getting more popular and was on free sports for a couple of competitions (Premier League / Champions cup) , also BBC sport online have picked up some of the tour events. I remember tweeting Barry Hearn, he said their is no interest in it... although its alot more skill involved then 9 ball (massive pockets), the whole problem is they have 2 different main sets of rules : World Rules (Been around years but more tactical) Blackball (getting more popular) neither are straight forward and you would have to learn the rules. Personally i think its a market they should look into with darts being so big and hit main channels like sky sports, we shall see one day.

There is a Ronny O'Sullivan documentary where he goes to America and plays some former pool world champions and absolutely schools them, Snooker is the only proper challenge. although i do love watching the Mosconi cup.

There is a Ronny O'Sullivan documentary where he goes to America and plays some former pool world champions and absolutely schools them, Snooker is the only proper challenge. although i do love watching the Mosconi cup.
    I watched bits of it, got bored. I used to enjoy watching snooker, now i dont mind it but prefer watching pool, might be as i play more competitive pool now and gave up snooker a couple of years ago.
  • I enjoy watching the mosconi cup on tv but I could never go & watch it live. The crowd do my head in!
  • American pool is so much easier once you get used to the table size and weight of the balls. I played winner stays on in London years ago and was unbeaten for 2-3 hours. The pockets are like buckets.
  • The crowd is the same as the snooker shoot out they do now.

I went to Bethnal Green to watch the Mosconi Cup in 2000 and 2001 I think and was enjoyable. Tickets were free and atmosphere was good. There used to be a few Charlton shirts in the crowd as well.

That Kaci has been shocking. Obviously to be no.1 in the world he is a lot better than he is showing. I still think Europe win this.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think people are being way OTT with the crowd here, i am in a pool page on FB and people are constantly moaning about the crowd. It has always been this bad, usually the Americans. I wouldn't necessarily be happy with it normally but its just like the ryder cup so part of the parcel.

I watched yesterday, Jayson Shaw took to another level in between frames jumping on the chairs and celebrating mid match, i wouldn't mind but he ended up losing the match.

Europe 9-6 down going into the final days singles, USA require 2 so we need to win 5-1 at least tonight. I am out so wont be able to see it, but USA haven't won in Europe since Holland 2004. So many close games this time round so it could have easily been the other way round, from what i have seen but USA have stepped up and playing really well this year and seem more together than in the past.
  • I went two years ago at Ally Pally ( every session) and the whole event is ruined by the behaviour of a few .
    I’m amazed how the players are able to concentrate with all the antics that are going on and believe me it’s much much worse when you are there than what you see or hear on the TV.
  • I went two years ago at Ally Pally ( every session) and the whole event is ruined by the behaviour of a few .
    I’m amazed how the players are able to concentrate with all the antics that are going on and believe me it’s much much worse when you are there than what you see or hear on the TV.

If you are playing well it shouldn't matter when you are at the table, bar a big fog horn going off or people actually shouting as you take your shot. People play money games all the time and in Ireland there is someone quite known for putting people off for it, i dont really think its that valid an excuse if you expect it you should just try harder to zone out. Obviously its easier to say then do, things like that spur me on if i am playing someone/ team who are noisy or trying these tactics.
  • edited December 2018
    Europe 7 USA 10 (Europe 3 1 up in current tie)
  • Game on now. 9-10
  • What a mistake!
  • edited December 2018
    America win 11-9. Europeans lost it for me due to very silly mistakes throughout the tournament. Perhaps a touch of the Charlton inconsistancy.
  • Anyone watching the World Cup. I swear I should be playing with some of the shots they're playing.