Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ski Resorts advice

I am taking my 20 year old son skiing in January. Have already booked flights to Geneva and need help choosing a suitable resort to stay and ski from. We are fairly novice skiers so like our blue runs, like a few bars with music in the evenings. Somewhere not much more than an hour from the airport, good chance of good snow, cheaper budget preferred. Any suggestions guys & girls?

Comments

• Chamonix is about an hour and 15 minutes from Geneva.

It's quite spaced out so for the best night life stay in the resort centre itself - if you're on the outskirts then the shuttle buses finish at midnight. If you miss it you're in trouble.

I used to work for a company called Skiline.co.uk based in Beckenham - my family used them for years before I worked for them. They're excellent, if you call them up and explain what you want they will find you something that will suit you.

I've been skiing since before I could walk pretty much and absolutely love it - have a great time.
  • Chamonix is about an hour and 15 minutes from Geneva.

It's quite spaced out so for the best night life stay in the resort centre itself - if you're on the outskirts then the shuttle buses finish at midnight. If you miss it you're in trouble.

I used to work for a company called Skiline.co.uk based in Beckenham - my family used them for years before I worked for them. They're excellent, if you call them up and explain what you want they will find you something that will suit you.

I've been skiing since before I could walk pretty much and absolutely love it - have a great time.

Looks quite a small ski area, does it interconnect with others?
  • Webby said:

Chamonix is about an hour and 15 minutes from Geneva.

Looks quite a small ski area, does it interconnect with others?
    There are 3 or 4 ski areas that link up with buses, it takes a bit of planning.

Les Gets might be a better option thinking about it. More "easy" runs and it links up with Morzine and Avoriaz too.
  • edited December 2018
    Don't forget to take a carrot and some buttons.
  • La clusaz is one of the ones nearer Geneva, going there for the first time next weekend. It's meant to be really good for beginners and looks like a decent little town.
  • jac52 said:

La clusaz is one of the ones nearer Geneva, going there for the first time next weekend. It's meant to be really good for beginners and looks like a decent little town.

Be interested to hear your thoughts, town sounds nice but be good to know if enough ski runs for a week. Enjoy your trip.

• I used to work for a company called Skiline.co.uk based in Beckenham.

Near the Mercedes garage? I always assumed that was some moody front!
  • Boom said:

I used to work for a company called Skiline.co.uk based in Beckenham.

Near the Mercedes garage? I always assumed that was some moody front!
    Haha - yes mate.

Most of their sales agents work from home, the people in the office are admin etc!

Completely see what you're saying though, doesn't look great from the outside!
  • Val d'isere. Bit expensive, and a longer transfer from Geneva but the best in my opinion. I go every year and the ski area coupled with the town itself make it unbeatable
  • Les Gets / Morzine fits the bill. Close to Geneva airport, good all round skiing over a huge area.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    Seems a little strange that you have booked a flight without first booking your resort and accommodation?
    That’s rather unusual as you have left it pretty late to find and book either of those options.
    Not impossible, but I rather fancy you have rather limited yourself to where you will be able to go at such short notice.
    Good luck.
  • Les Arcs isn't a bad place to ski if your a novice but it's pretty quiet compared to other resorts
  • Webby said:

jac52 said:

La clusaz is one of the ones nearer Geneva, going there for the first time next weekend. It's meant to be really good for beginners and looks like a decent little town.

Be interested to hear your thoughts, town sounds nice but be good to know if enough ski runs for a week. Enjoy your trip.
    Cheers will let you know... Right now I'm praying for some snow!
  • edited December 2018
    I’ve been to Chamonix 10+ times and can recommend it, the resort level is actually quite high so you’ll nearly always have snow, I’ve never not been able to ski. It’s only 1hour 15mins from the airport too. There’s plenty of resorts all connected by regular busses, each are enough for a days skiing.

However, Chamonix slopes can be quite tricky, recently my girlfriend has been joining me on my trips and she’s a novice who really struggled in Chamonix. She’s better now but we have only been back to Chamonix once since she started coming with me.

Also, some say the Chamonix nightlife is the best you can get in the alps!

We now opt for Samoens, again, it’s only about 1hour 15mins from Geneva and the skiing is very very easy, I fact I hadn’t realised skiing could be so easy with all my years spent in Chamonix! It’s a proper little french town with nice local food and bars with music etc. Last year the town was slightly empty but it meant that the slopes were too so win-win.

The only risk with Samoens is there might not always be good enough snow, I’ve been 3 times now and been fine but people tell me that some years the resort has struggled because it’s so low. They do have snow cannons etc. to combat this and I’m going to go again in Feb.

Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2018
    For the record can I recommend Livigno in The Italian Alps.....terrific skiing, cheap shops.....wonderful restaurants bars and nightlife.
    Duty free zone......so shopping and booze etc on the cheap.
    Only thing is it’s rather a long transfer time from Milan......about 3 hours if my memory serves me right.....but well worth the journey time.
    High altitude resort, so always has snow during the season and usually plenty of it.
    Check it out folks.....sigh, my wonderful skiing days are long over, would be on the plane tomorrow if my body could stand it, which it pains me to say it plainly wouldn’t.
    My skiing trips with dear old friends were some of the happiest days of my life....tears in my eyes just thinking about it.....oh dear SoundAs.....cheer up fella.
  • I’ve been to Chamonix 10+ times and can recommend it, the resort level is actually quite high so you’ll nearly always have snow, I’ve never not been able to ski. It’s only 1hour 15mins from the airport too. There’s plenty of resorts all connected by regular busses, each are enough for a days skiing.

However, Chamonix slopes can be quite tricky, recently my girlfriend has been joining me on my trips and she’s a novice who really struggled in Chamonix. She’s better now but we have only been back to Chamonix once since she started coming with me.

We now opt for Samoens, again, it’s only about 1hour 15mins from Geneva and the skiing is very very easy, I fact I hadn’t realised skiing could be so easy with all my years spent in Chamonix! It’s a proper little french town with nice local food and bars with music etc. Last year the town was slightly empty but it meant that the slopes were too so win-win.

The only risk with Samoens is there might not always be good enough snow, I’ve been 3 times now and been fine but people tell me that some years the resort has struggled because it’s so low. They do have snow cannons etc. to combat this and I’m going to go again in Feb.

Hope that helps!

In the same area of Samoens, Flaine and Les Carroz are good.

Flaine is pretty much snow sure as it's quite high and in a big bowl, also very short distance from Geneva.

We're doing that in feb - but we just drive there.
  • Seems a little strange that you have booked a flight without first booking your resort and accommodation?
    That’s rather unusual as you have left it pretty late to find and book either of those options.
    Not impossible, but I rather fancy you have rather limited yourself to where you will be able to go at such short notice.
    Good luck.

I have checked and is a lot of available accomodation in budget at numerous locations, so just need to decide which location is better for our needs. Flights were going up and flying from different ends of the country so needed to book ones that arrived and departed similar times.
  • Avoid like the plague! Why waste valuable leave, time and money going somewhere cold?
  • I’ve been to Chamonix 10+ times and can recommend it, the resort level is actually quite high so you’ll nearly always have snow, I’ve never not been able to ski. It’s only 1hour 15mins from the airport too. There’s plenty of resorts all connected by regular busses, each are enough for a days skiing.

Hope that helps!

Flaine is pretty much snow sure as it's quite high and in a big bowl, also very short distance from Geneva.

Yes Flaine is an option but reviews say not the prettiest of resorts and gather we can get there for skiing from other resorts if lack of snow a problem?
  • Webby said:

I’ve been to Chamonix 10+ times and can recommend it, the resort level is actually quite high so you’ll nearly always have snow, I’ve never not been able to ski. It’s only 1hour 15mins from the airport too. There’s plenty of resorts all connected by regular busses, each are enough for a days skiing.

Hope that helps!

Yes Flaine is an option but reviews say not the prettiest of resorts and gather we can get there for skiing from other resorts if lack of snow a problem?
    There's one block bit that is a bit concrete, but the rest of the resort is quite nice.

If you stay in Les Carroz, it's much prettier and yes, you can get the Grand Massive pass that allows you to go to Flaine Les Carroz and Samoens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Webby said:

Hope that helps!

There's one block bit that is a bit concrete, but the rest of the resort is quite nice.

If you stay in Les Carroz, it's much prettier and yes, you can get the Grand Massive pass that allows you to go to Flaine Les Carroz and Samoens.
    It’s well worth seeing the bit of concrete, just to marvel in how ugly it is. Stunning views from the top over to Mont Blanc though.
  • Thought i’d chime in as i am on a lunch break after a morning’s amazing skiing at Silver Star in BC (a hidden gem - perhaps my favourite Canadian resort) anyway i would definitely recommend Les Gets/Morzine - lots of terrain for all abilities & plenty of apres ski.

• Anybody skied/boarded in Scotland?

My mrs will be living on the edge of the Cairngorms for 2 months for work. Going to visit her for a couple weekends and see what the snowboarding is like, looking at Aviemore, Glenshee or Ben Nevis, anybody been? Want to ideally go somewhere that isn’t too crowded and has chair lifts.

My mrs will be living on the edge of the Cairngorms for 2 months for work. Going to visit her for a couple weekends and see what the snowboarding is like, looking at Aviemore, Glenshee or Ben Nevis, anybody been? Want to ideally go somewhere that isn’t too crowded and has chair lifts.

Yes and going again in 2 weeks to Aviemore.
    Aviemore can get a bit busy in school holiday times but at the moment the funicular railway isn't working so that will put some people off.
  • I would go to Morzine mate. Plenty going on there in terms of bars etc, and a huge ski area decent for beginners.

La Clusaz is nice - mainly French people there, which you might prefer.

Chamonix is a brilliant town and some good skiing but the skiing is harder and its very disconnected to get between the areas - not good at all for beginners, bit hard work.

Val d'isere is great but expensive and a long transfer - wasted on somebody with limited experience.
  • I would go to Morzine mate. Plenty going on there in terms of bars etc, and a huge ski area decent for beginners.

La Clusaz is nice - mainly French people there, which you might prefer.

Chamonix is a brilliant town and some good skiing but the skiing is harder and its very disconnected to get between the areas - not good at all for beginners, bit hard work.

Val d'isere is great but expensive and a long transfer - wasted on somebody with limited experience.

Just realised this threat started in December and has just been bumped up, so my advice has probably come after the holiday has finished...!

Yes and going again in 2 weeks to Aviemore.
    Aviemore can get a bit busy in school holiday times but at the moment the funicular railway isn't working so that will put some people off.
    Aviemore will be the closest to where we are staying so is a good shout. Bit put off by all the button lifts though, does it get very busy on weekends? Thinking of going next weekend. Do we need to check the conditions first, is there a website for this?
  • Snow-forecast.com
  • Snow-forecast.com

Cheers
  • Off to Morzine in the morning. Meeting someone who is already there... The snow is unbelievable