Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Two-footed tackle breaks defender's leg. "But I got the ball". Red card or not?

Ben Mee's tackle on Joe Gomez looked reckless. It was two-footed. He was out of control. And he broke Joe Gomez's leg. But - and this is the point every clod-hopping defender clings to when asked to comment - he "got the ball". The ref waved play on. No red card, no yellow card, no free-kick.

Did the ref get this right? And, more importantly, is the fact that the tackler wins the ball more important than anything else?

In my view, whether you win the ball or not is irrelevant. If you foul the opponent, it's a free-kick. If you do it while obviously not in control, it's a free-kick and a straight red card. Does anyone disagree with this? More importantly, what light can @PeterGage shed on this?

Comments

• He didnt break his leg, he fractured it and is only out for 6 weeks, if it was a proper leg break it would be longer than 6 weeks out
  • He didnt break his leg, he fractured it and is only out for 6 weeks, if it was a proper leg break it would be longer than 6 weeks out

You have missed the whole point of the post though. In a way fracture or break is irrelevant.

A fracture is a break.

There are lots of different types of fractures (compound, greenstick etc) but Gomez has a broken leg
  • edited December 2018
    Chizz said:

Ben Mee's tackle on Joe Gomez looked reckless. It was two-footed. He was out of control. And he broke Joe Gomez's leg. But - and this is the point every clod-hopping defender clings to when asked to comment - he "got the ball". The ref waved play on. No red card, no yellow card, no free-kick.

Did the ref get this right? And, more importantly, is the fact that the tackler wins the ball more important than anything else?

In my view, whether you win the ball or not is irrelevant. If you foul the opponent, it's a free-kick. If you do it while obviously not in control, it's a free-kick and a straight red card. Does anyone disagree with this? More importantly, what light can @PeterGage shed on this?

haven't seen the tackle but winning the ball has nothing to do with it being a foul. It's how the ball was won, the danger involved, the amount of control the defender had, etc etc

Mee is lucky not to be sent off never mind not even booked .. it looks to be from behind and two footed .. never saw this live but the (tiny) photo is damning
  • “I got the ball” is usually a load of bollocks and only ever used by defenders who know they’ve committed a foul.

If you snap a player in half but get a nick on the ball in doing so, it’s still a foul.
    Extreme example but the point stands.

A foul is a foul. Emphasis is on player safety.
    Anything the ref considers careless or reckless. Law 12. Foul
  • Dyche is getting desperate .. after a good last season, Burnley are deep in the mire this one
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11708/11573224/sean-dyche-defends-burnleys-honest-challenges-against-liverpool

Mee is lucky not to be sent off never mind not even booked .. it looks to be from behind and two footed .. never saw this live but the (tiny) photo is damning

That's the worst possible picture of the whole tackle. On its own, that single shot looks absolutely terrible. The tackle wasn't as bad as that single image looks.

But... it was two footed, both feet off the ground, he "scissored" him. And, on the mitigating side, he won the ball.

For my money, it's a straight red.
  • Sponsored links:

Fracture and break are the same thing. Of course there are varying degrees of fracture and different types but a break is a fracture.

• edited December 2018
    I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable but my understanding is that two footed tackles are against the laws of the game.

If so the damage done (or not) to the tackled player is irrelevant and the tackler should be judged accordingly.

Back in the days Curbs assembled that crap squad he left us with which has caused all our present problems I remember Bryan Hughes making a two footed tackle, winning the ball and receiving a straight red.

It was the West Brom game when Robbie Earnshaw got a hat-trick once we'd gone down to 10 if memory serves me right.

EDIT: The Elk got sent off for a two footed tackle in that match. Bryan Hughes conceded a penalty. I am sure I also saw Hughes sent off for a two footed tackle, as described, but cannot name the match.
  • It was 100% a straight red card. Personally, I think when a player commits a wreck less challenge like that, and it is completely irrelevant If he touched the ball at any point, it should be an automatic 5 or 6 game ban. If the victim of the tackle is seriously injured then the tackler should be banned until the victim is fully recovered and able to play again.
  • Red card? It wasn’t even a foul. Bad luck on JG.
  • Wreckless challenge. Definitely a booking two footed from behind makes it a red.
  • 2 footed tackles are dangerous and for my money cowardly

There is no control as the player is airborne, I understand why they happen (normally a blood rush reaction to losing the ball or sheer violent intent) tackling from behind was always really fucking difficult and even on the rare occasion I got it right I'd have a foul given against me. I don't want the sliding tackle to leave the game, however we are a good decade into seeing straight reds for what I think of as cowards tackles (planting studs as a defender is clearing the ball, two footed challenges, studs going over the ball) and players should by now know better. Especially someone like Ben Mee who would have played professionally with the knowledge this sort of challenge is going to earn him a red card potentially.

Of course the problem then comes because every hard challenge where another player is sent up in the air fans and players are screaming for red cards when that isn't the case. Also players can get badly hurt from innocuous stuff and referees will punish I'm relation to the injury as opposed to the crime.

Diving, especially diving in penalty areas is something that needs to be really cracked down on and retrospective punishments of actual missed game time issued to offenders
  • edited December 2018
    Any two footed challenge that causes an injury which puts a player out of action should incur a ban that lasts one week longer than the injured player is out for. End another player’s career and you end your own. That will stop two footed challenges
  • Man up.
    A wet sponge and bucket of dirty water administered in a haphazard fashion would have allowed him to run it off.

Was this what charltons medical team said.:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah thats not a red card... Comes in from the side and his momentum takes him into Gomez

Reminds me of the heavy tackle that Solly committed on one of the Peterborough (?) players earlier this season
  • A reckless tackle is exactly that - what happens to the ball is irrelevant.
    It's like saying I was driving on the wrong carriageway of the M25 in reverse, but I didn't hit anything.
  • This particular tackle should've been a red card because it was reckless & from behind, but i don't buy into the thinking that every tackle where the man is caught after a player getting the ball is a red/foul
  • Next season, the ref gets a word in his ear, goes to the screen, and Mee is sent off. He's reckless, won't get to the ball without going through Gomez, and causes harm to the player.
  • Not a "foul" according to the strict rules - except that dangerous play should always be a red card irrespective of where the ball is or whether it is even in play at the time.
  • Not sure I agree that's a red card, I think the Gomez factor is swaying feelings here. If Mee had done that against anyone else, would people here be up in arms?

Another defender Rob Holding also went off on a stretcher midweek after a bad tackle by Rashford. Could be out for the season
  • edited December 2018
    Having viewed the clip above I have changed my mind. I based my initial reaction on the still photo and the comments about it being a two footed tackle. Whilst the tackler might have left the ground his body was not travelling towards the opponent. I don’t think it was a red card and the injury suffered by Gomez was an unfortunate accident.
  • Didn't think it was a red card at the time, still don't think it's a red now

There was a challenge on Gomez about 5 minutes earlier by Brady (from memory) but can't find a clip anywhere that was far more worthy of a sending off and the challenge Klopp referred to immediately after the game.
  • It's a reckless tackle with shite technique. He may win the ball but the chances of you injuring someone are high with a tackle like that. Also, what's the need for a tackle like where the ball is on the pitch?
  • Also, what's the need for a tackle like where the ball is on the pitch?

Its certainly rash from Mee in regards to the position on the pitch; Gomez is going no where, concentrate on blocking the cross