Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackpool v Charlton | Sat 08 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Blackpool v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 8th December 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tony Harrington (Cleveland)

Introduction

After a run of cup games we return this weekend to League action where its here to stay for the rest of the season – Defeat against Doncaster Rovers last Saturday saw the Addicks exiting the FA Cup and so missing a trip to Preston North End in the next round. Lee Bowyer’s decision to rest the first team in that game would cause much anger and debate on CharltonLife yet it is now time for Charlton to prove it was the correct decision.

As we now enter the busiest time of the year – The Christmas fixtures are just weeks away yet the prologue begins this weekend, with trips to Blackpool and Portsmouth over the next few days this could be a time of the year that’ll either put us right into contention for the season ahead or potentially damage it

The Opposition
Name: Blackpool | Manager: Terry McPhillips
Ground: Bloomfield Road

If anything at the moment; Blackpool are one of a number of sides that simply confirm how challenging League One can be – A shaky start to the season saw them picking up just the sole win in the first six games yet the Seasiders would suddenly kick themselves into life, and with fives wins from the last eight games have propelled themselves into Play-Off contention with a 3-0 win required to leapfrog the Addicks on Saturday.

To say its impressive is an understatement, with ownership issues as bad as ours there appears to be a small bond forming between the two clubs (proven by the joint Football League protests earlier this season). Yet when Terry McPhillips took over the reigns (initially as caretaker manager) in August there were certainly a few raised eye brows yet just one defeat in his opening nine games would see him appointed to the managerial position on a permanent basis and the rest as they say, is history!!

In a way though we could find ourselves in an ironic position this Saturday – Charlton were happy to exit the FA Cup yet Blackpool still remain and have a replay against Solihull Moors coming up on Tuesday night, a win would see them hosting Arsenal, and having almost gotten a result at the Emirates (in the League Cup) once this season, our opponents may well have one eye on trying to go one better just at Bloomfield Road in January

Charlton Team News
For those who agreed with Bowyer’s decision last Saturday it would have been a welcomed break for the players – It’s always nice to win late on, yet against Burton Albion, we would commit a robbery to take all three points back to South East London… Lee would admit after that game that certain players were looking leggy and once again the absence of some players to injury appear to be affecting us slightly.

Darren Pratley | Lewis Page | Igor Vetokele | Josh Cullen all remain side-lined for a bit longer so we’ll be left with the usual pool of players to choose from on Saturday (provided there have been no knocks in training) – Billy Clarke and Ben Reeves remain the ultimate question marks though, have they done enough to warrant a place back in the First Team? Well for Clarke it may still be a no but you’d certainly expect to see the latter back at least!!

Steer
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Solly
Aribo | Bielik | Reeves
Ward
Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Lapslie | Stevenson | Fosu | Ajose | Marshall

Prediction
It has been confirmed in the last few days that Lee Bowyer has once again been nominated for Manager of the Month – It’s a sign of the good work he’s doing in the League yet we have to hope that form doesn’t plummet like it did for his last nomination in October… Having picked a weak squad against Doncaster many fans will be happy with no less than four points expected from the next four days!!

Comments

• Once again the Football League website doesnt want to update the Referee's officiating this weekend - If anyone is able to source who the man in black / green / orange / whatever will be on Saturday I'll update the thread accordingly
  • Bar Lapslie and Sarr the others should be all fresh as bunch of daffodils in Lidl's after their well earned rest.

Score draw
  • 💯 % guaranteed win thanks to resting all those players last week . Well it better be .
    1-3 to The Addicks
  • Blackpool 1 - 2 Charlton
  • We must win after fielding a weakened team, also if we need to win to keep comfortable in the play offs and show we are looking upwards rather than down.

0-2 Charlton - COYR
  • We must win after fielding a weakened team, also if we need to win to keep comfortable in the play offs and show we are looking upwards rather than down.

0-2 Charlton - COYR

We 'must win'? No such thing in football mate. Just wish Fosu was in the side and on top of his game, can be so creative. Blackpool are a more than decent side and if we are not on top of our game they will beat us. Obviously hoping for a win but will settle for a point. 1-1

• 2 - 2 Draw , Taylor and Ward with our goals.
  • addick05 said:

We must win after fielding a weakened team, also if we need to win to keep comfortable in the play offs and show we are looking upwards rather than down.

0-2 Charlton - COYR

We 'must win'? No such thing in football mate. Just wish Fosu was in the side and on top of his game, can be so creative. Blackpool are a more than decent side and if we are not on top of our game they will beat us. Obviously hoping for a win but will settle for a point. 1-1

You always have must win games, relegation / promotion games. However on this one i just think solely on the basis we didn't give a hoot about the FA cup game and rested the majority of our team, would seem pointless if we dont get a result tomorrow IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2.1 Charlton.
    Taylor and Grant to both score and bring back the feel good factor after last week's FA cup defeat.
    I shall be at the game.
  • Reeves was crap and back to his lightweight worst last week. Marshall should play instead, not only did he have a good game he can help support either of the fullbacks, whichever side he plays on.
  • Comfortable away 4-0.
  • addick05 said:

We must win after fielding a weakened team, also if we need to win to keep comfortable in the play offs and show we are looking upwards rather than down.

0-2 Charlton - COYR

You always have must win games, relegation / promotion games. However on this one i just think solely on the basis we didn't give a hoot about the FA cup game and rested the majority of our team, would seem pointless if we dont get a result tomorrow IMO.

Using that logic you may as well say the Portsmouth game is also a 'must win'. Saturday's result will not affect either our promotion hopes or our chances of relegation. Sure, if they don't turn up and give 100% on Saturday then the knives will be out.
    There are months to go before any game becomes a 'must win' and there will be games like Coventry - where we smashed them off the pitch and lost - and Burton where we played badly and nicked the points.

• terrific preview as usual .. as @ForeverAddickted writes, win this or Bowyer will get slated for surrendering our F A Cup mission .. Blackpool don't score many and neither do they concede many .. a draw looks likely but I fancy us to win this, JUST.

I'd have Sarr at left back, Solly on the right and something tells me that Bowyer considers Reeves a little too lightweight for the really competitive games .. so Dijk in the middle (appropriate for holding back the tide) and I'd go for Lapslie instead of Bielik, George has the type of harassing mentality combined with a terrific work-rate so necessary in this kind of game, i.e. a tough one .. come on youse Addicksaaaahhh !!

Blackpool 0 v CAFC 1
  • A training ground injury?
  • shirty5 said:

A training ground injury?
    Perhaps he should start resting the first team from training as well . Jeez what is wrong with this club . Why do we keep picking up injuries?
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable away 4-0.

This must be the minimum after the rest they all had last weekend.
  • It's beyond a joke now.
    Seriously someone has to look at what is going on as the amount of injuries we get is absolutely ridiculous.

That's my prediction fucked then , before we even kick off !!
  • Dodoo to score a hat-trick? No seriously, they let in very few goals and I have to hope for a win, so 0-1, if it is possible for us to win 1-0 although I hope that if this is the case, we score in the 90th minute so it will not be too stressful waiting to see if they equalize

That's my prediction fucked then , before we even kick off !!
    So that's Ward and Cullen out, does this mean Fosu might start? He CAN be a game changer.

• Comfortable away 4-0.

More chance of knitting fog!
  • addick05 said:

addick05 said:

0-2 Charlton - COYR

Using that logic you may as well say the Portsmouth game is also a 'must win'. Saturday's result will not affect either our promotion hopes or our chances of relegation. Sure, if they don't turn up and give 100% on Saturday then the knives will be out.
    There are months to go before any game becomes a 'must win' and there will be games like Coventry - where we smashed them off the pitch and lost - and Burton where we played badly and nicked the points.

Of course it will. All points one or lost directly affect our promotion hopes
  • Will Joe Dodoo show us what he couldn't do at Charlton? Been scoring of late.
  • I'd rather play Clarkie than Reeves any day.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!