Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Six unrelated stories, told with typical quirkiness. It's exactly what you'd expect a Coen bros. western to be like. Funny, dark, surprising, haunting, gripping. I didn't get distracted at all, at least until the end (the final story is very much a Coen curveball) as the stories zip along and have some brilliant visuals and dialogue ("Pan shot!" / "First time?").

I was surprised that none of the stories connected, I thought something would tie them together. But that's not a criticism. A lack of female characters is probably the only mis-step in an otherwise brilliant film, and by far the best movie Netflix have yet produced.

5/5

Saw this as well. I liked it but did not love it. I am the only person I know who seems to not like the opening story with Buster.

But the story of the gold prospector played by Tom Waits has me on the edge of my seat and I could have watched a whole movie about just his character.

4/5
    Buster Scruggs - 4/5

I'm not a huge Coen Bros fan, but I found the concept of this interesting. Was not a fan of the opening tale like you Napa, but the gold prospector and the Wagon Convoy were both brilliant I thought, and the last story gave you a lot to think about. Very dark at times, especially with the "Meal Ticket" story. Enjoyable but wouldn't watch again. I kept thinking I saw links though not sure if I was imagining them if i'm honest.
  • Options
    Also, The Christmas Chronicles - 4/5

Not a huge Christmas fan if i'm honest, but fancied this, mostly for Kurt Russell as Santa. Overall thought it was ok, Russell was great as Santa, predictably, found the young girl a bit irritating although her brother did have a decent character arc, but anyone with young children or a family will probably enjoy this one as there's enough entertainment in this for adults as well. The elves irritated me a little, as it just felt like they were copying the Minions from Despicable Me a little to be honest!

On another note, watched Rogue One again last week. Probably my favourite Star Wars movie to be honest. Think its brilliant.
  • Options
    Watched Journeys end last night.
    Thought it was excellent.
  • Options

Watched Journeys end last night.
    Thought it was excellent.

Saw this has come on Netflix, definitely will watch.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Carter said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Six unrelated stories, told with typical quirkiness. It's exactly what you'd expect a Coen bros. western to be like. Funny, dark, surprising, haunting, gripping. I didn't get distracted at all, at least until the end (the final story is very much a Coen curveball) as the stories zip along and have some brilliant visuals and dialogue ("Pan shot!" / "First time?").

I was surprised that none of the stories connected, I thought something would tie them together. But that's not a criticism. A lack of female characters is probably the only mis-step in an otherwise brilliant film, and by far the best movie Netflix have yet produced.

5/5

I've had this sat in my list for a few days. I trust your judgement on films and will be watching tonight
    Let us know what you think!
    Watched it last night, it was another gorgeously shot film and the camera work for the gold prospector bit was awesome

I liked it, some stories more than others. The one with Liam Neeson was pretty uncomfortable, the first one with Buster Scruggs was really good as was the gold prospector and his pocket, I also liked James Franco's and the one with the prairie dogs.

I don't always completely get Coen brothers stuff but I mostly got this

I'm glad I took the time to watch it

8/10 and it only doesn't score higher because I felt a few bits were too weird
  • Options
    Yeah I struggled with the story with the girl and the caravan, which was also the longest story.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Yeah I struggled with the story with the girl and the caravan, which was also the longest story.

The penultimate one? I didn't really like the coachman one, I actually got what they were doing with that one but didn't like it or get drawn in by it. Although the actors had wonderful singing voices

I did like the one that you didn't which I suppose is part of the fun with films and especially films like this one

• Options
    Creed 2 really good.
  • Options
    I watched Creed 2 on Saturday in the new cinema in Bromley. Lovely reclining seats. Cheap too at less than £9/ticket. I thought the film started a little slowly and wasn't very atmospheric for the first 15 minutes, but once up and running enjoyed it immensely and it's a series that continues to hold an audience all these years on.

Recommended.
  • Options
    Journey's End - Read the screen play at A Level in school, thought it was great at the time and really hit home the futility of the 'Great' War, and this is a brilliant re-creation of it for the silver screen. Some brilliant acting from all of the characters with some big names, Paul Bettany for example who I always enjoy watching, his part probably stood out to me the most, as did Stanhope. I would definitely suggest anyone who is interested in this topic (IMO everyone should be) should give this a watch. Highly recommend it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Watched The Wipers Times over weekend on Prime. Really enjoyed it, full of comedy and very entertaining in a gallows humour sort of way. 8/10.
  • Options
    Watched Fantastic Beasts 2 last week. Decent enough movie but I kinda forgot about it almost straight away and I'm hard pressed to recall the main theme now. I think I've seen too many Marvel/Harry Potter type of movies whereby it's all action with very little substance; buildings exploding and then going up again and all that stuff. It's like we are reliving the age of Atlantis in the film world whereby death doesn't matter and everything is high tech re the computer graphics. The beasts are cool though and their interaction between the Redmayne character is well done. As jimmy says 2/5.
  • Options
    Wreck It Ralph 2 is really disappointing. The first was sweet and funny with plenty of fun references, a delightful surprise.

This one is an advert for Disney products. There's no villain, which in itself could be impressive if the character stuff was strong enough, or the plot compelling enough, but it isn't. It mostly meanders around as an excuse to sell a variety of digital platforms (Amazon, ebay, Google).

The most impressive thing about it is that it has an astonishingly bad performance by a CGI character. I didn't know that would ever be possible.

2.5/5
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Wreck It Ralph 2 is really disappointing. The first was sweet and funny with plenty of fun references, a delightful surprise.

This one is an advert for Disney products. There's no villain, which in itself could be impressive if the character stuff was strong enough, or the plot compelling enough, but it isn't. It mostly meanders around as an excuse to sell a variety of digital platforms (Amazon, ebay, Google).

The most impressive thing about it is that it has an astonishingly bad performance by a CGI character. I didn't know that would ever be possible.

2.5/5

Gutted about that review - I was SO looking forward to taking my son to see it this weekend!

• Options
    supaclive said:

JiMMy 85 said:

2.5/5

Gutted about that review - I was SO looking forward to taking my son to see it this weekend!

It’s not a disaster - I’d expect the kids to enjoy it and it has something to say about online culture too. It’s a real surprise to see a Disney movie with such an undercooked plot as that’s what they normally excel at.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

5/5

Saw this as well. I liked it but did not love it. I am the only person I know who seems to not like the opening story with Buster.

But the story of the gold prospector played by Tom Waits has me on the edge of my seat and I could have watched a whole movie about just his character.

4/5
    Buster Scruggs - 4/5

I'm not a huge Coen Bros fan, but I found the concept of this interesting. Was not a fan of the opening tale like you Napa, but the gold prospector and the Wagon Convoy were both brilliant I thought, and the last story gave you a lot to think about. Very dark at times, especially with the "Meal Ticket" story. Enjoyable but wouldn't watch again. I kept thinking I saw links though not sure if I was imagining them if i'm honest.
    I really liked this. I absolutely loved the opening story and would love to see an origins film of Buster Scruggs. As with nearly all films with multiple stories , some are stronger than others.

8 out of 10
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

2.5/5

I'm glad you said that. I saw this a week ago and walked out wondering if I was missing something. Sadly the fim seems to be missing quite a lot of whatever the first one had that made it so great. Wreck it Ralph was a standout film that was a pleasure to watch. The second part just felt like a box ticking exercise.
  • Options
    Watched Venom, well half if it. Worst Super Hero film I've seen since Suicide Squad.
  • Options
    Aquaman

Cheesy and predictable , but a bit like Avatar ...immersive.

The fella that plays Aquaman is good.
  • Options
    The Old Man and The Gun

Am spending a fair bit of time working in north Somerset, and thought I'd visit the Clevedon Curzon, which turned out to be a proper old-style volunteer-run cinema. Less than eight quid a ticket, and decent local bottled beer to take in with you.

Anyway, the film was not the main thing, but I watched this Robert Redford thing, which turned out to be a sedate but pleasant vehicle for RR's last film role. Not much happens and there are no real surprises, but there's a certain amount of charm and style, and if you're a lady of a certain age, to whom I think this would mostly appeal, it's a couple of hours of gentle amusement.

Two bottles of the aforementioned beer had me nodding off towards the end, but I was tired from an unusually busy day.

6/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't post on this thread very often. Saw Journeyman on amazon the other night had been wanting to watch it for ages. I am sure someone must have mentioned it at some point but absolute quality performances from Paddy Considine & Jodie Whittaker great film I'd recommend it highly if you haven't seen it
  • Options

Saw Mary Poppins returns yesterday. Wasn’t expecting much tbh but it was very good. Some really good songs in the traditional musical style plus a couple of very decent performances from the main characters. Nice to see Dick Van Dyke play a part and a nice cameo from Angela Lansbury.

Angela Lansbury was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks no? Mary Poppins was that other one, the German singing on the hills
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Saw Mary Poppins returns yesterday. Wasn’t expecting much tbh but it was very good. Some really good songs in the traditional musical style plus a couple of very decent performances from the main characters. Nice to see Dick Van Dyke play a part and a nice cameo from Angela Lansbury.

Angela Lansbury was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks no? Mary Poppins was that other one, the German singing on the hills
    Yeah, she wasn’t in the original but still played a good part in this one.
  • Options
    Shoplifters

Not Koreeda's best work, in my view, but still very good. I liked the way the story of the family was revealed gradually as the film progressed.
  • Options
    Watched Roma yesterday. Absolutely stunning looking but ultimately a little bit disappointing considering the hype . Still an 8 out of 10 though .
  • Options
    Watched First Man at home last Sunday. I didn't know Armstrong was such a private/reserved person. The film was quite sad, and the score notably so too. Very different from other traditional space hero films. But I think it is a good film. 8/10. (Much better than La La Land which I thought was simple and over-rated.)
  • Options

I thought it was very good but it certainly wasn't a patch on the original film. Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke is 10 times better than Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
    I literally got excited when I saw Dick Van Dyke, the guy is a legend.
  • Options

Trailer released for Lion King live action remake

https://youtu.be/4CbLXeGSDxg

Can't wait for this
  • Options
    I watched rampage earlier

It certainly wasn't awful but it wasn't very good either. However Dwayne Johnson is 100% a movie star as is George

6/10

I'm waiting for the next wind river/hell or high water/3 billboards they are 9 and 10s